As 911 approaches.. how have you changed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix once bubbled...
Anglophile? hmm, im getting to that point

Its ok, when it all hits the fan you guys will be there with us. Tony said so :)

SeeYa then!

Tom

hehe, thats right! :)

Back on topic somewhat though, we will be having a 1 minute silence on the 11th, at the time the news first reached us
I think things tend to hit home alot more when you stop and think about them like that, knowing everyone else around you is doing the same thing!
thinking about the actions and consequences of the last year, while the whole country stands in silence for a minute sure brings it all flooding back

We, as human beings, have the ability to move on from tragedy and disaster, time and time again, to the extent that, to those on our outside, it may seem we no longer care, but all it takes is something like that, something that will make everyone stop and think, something that will unite an entire country in silence and prayer for one minute, thats all it takes for it to all come back, for us to all remember and for us to all feel the pain we felt a year ago, but also the joy we have felt over the last year getting back to normal, and getting stronger, and realising what the most important things in our lives are.

Phoenix once bubbled...
We, as human beings, have the ability to move on from tragedy and disaster, time and time again, to the extent that, to those on our outside, it may seem we no longer care, but all it takes is something like that, something that will make everyone stop and think, something that will unite an entire country in silence and prayer for one minute, thats all it takes for it to all come back, for us to all remember and for us to all feel the pain we felt a year ago, but also the joy we have felt over the last year getting back to normal, and getting stronger, and realising what the most important things in our lives are.

Very well said!

Tom

Phoenix once bubbled...

I agree.... very well said

Ty

I have been following this thread since it originated and tried not to comment but last night my step father and I had a discussion about the "allies" who don't want the US to do anything to Iraq or anyone else for that matter that is a threat th peace and harmony around the world. I wonder how many of these other countries denouncing the US taking action would call on the US at the drop of the hat if it was their country being threatened?

I have been abroad and am very thankful for living in this country. If you live here and don't like what is going on in Congress then you have the right to change things by the freedom to vote; you could just sit and complain and do nothing, or leave. Go some place where you think life would be better.

I am also real tired of the "Jane Fondas" and "Tom Haydens" of this country moaning and groaning about the Vietnam war and how wrong it was. If you don't like the way things are done leave. I will even help you pack!!

Natasha, to answer your question. Since 9/11 of last year I have become more patriotic and less tolerant. I am an American and you can bet your sweet bippy I am DAMN proud of it.

God Bless America and those who stand for freedom around the world.

socaldiver once bubbled...
If you live here and don't like what is going on in Congress then you have the right to change things by the freedom to vote

. . .

If you don't like the way things are done leave. I will even help you pack!!

Wait! I don't get it: If I don't like what's going on in this country then I have the right to change it by the freedom to vote, but if I don't like the way things are done I'm supposed to leave?

Did I miss something or is there a teeny contradiction in your thought process?

danceswithoctopus once bubbled...

Wait! I don't get it: If I don't like what's going on in this country then I have the right to change it by the freedom to vote, but if I don't like the way things are done I'm supposed to leave?

Did I miss something or is there a teeny contradiction in your thought process?

I have been abroad and am very thankful for living in this country. If you live here and don't like what is going on in Congress then you have the right to change things by the freedom to vote; you could just sit and complain and do nothing, or leave. Go some place where you think life would be better
Second paragraph, read it again.

Agree with you 100% socaldiver and i'm not the only one!

Nice try, Gedunk. Nope. Didn't miss that part either. The contradiction inherent in the post is not uncommon. It's just intolorant.

Either I have the right to stay and let my voice be heard, whether by voting or social discussion, regardless of whether or not someone who holds an (equally valid) opposing viewpoint might lable it 'whining' or, as socaldiver suggests, I have to leave.

Can't have it both ways . . . sorry.

:poking:

btw: Semper Fi 2U2!

Socal is saying you have a choice of doing any one of the three. You can choose to:

1) use your right to vote
2) sit around and complain and do nothing

or

3) leave

You get 3 choices.

In my former life, I had performed laboratory research of which (at the time) I felt proud. I have re-examined that viewpoint, and understand the implications of my work could be much greater.

I always rationalized that my work would be for the good, and that never would my research be misused. I no longer hold such views.

Perhaps it is cynical, but I now believe that knowledge gained is neither good nor evil - it simply is. The intentions of the person developing a line of research may have nothing to do with the ultimate use of his work, and it is impossible to stuff the genie back into the bottle.

I "dropped out" of the research game. I don't want to spend my life questioning whether the work I am doing is morally justifiable.

I moved out of the USA. I decided to turn a hobby into an occupation. And I am more comfortable with myself for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom