Ashamed I can't mask clear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is short lived as the reluctance is there the next time

This is precisely why you have to do many repetitions over a short period of time. Each time you do it, you knock a brick off the wall of apprehension; let enough time go by, and those bricks get put back right where they started. You need to knock the whole wall down.

The answer, Diving Dubai, is simple to state, but work to do. Practice, practice, practice. Practice the skill as often as you can.
Stop shaving for a week or so, and you'll get plenty of practice. About every five minutes on every dive.

If I have about four days' worth of stubble on my upper lip, I have to clear my mask at least that often...
On the advantages of a leaking mask

Back to the defog tangent-- I put the baby shampoo on a dry mask a day or 2 before the dive and wipe it so there is no smearing. Never had a problem even on 2nd dive. Can't advise on 3 or more dives as I don't do this.

Burning-- An instructor at our shop showed me the method using a blow torch. He said it works for a while then you may have to do it again. He didn't say it was just for removing anything from a brand new mask. I'm not going to blow torch my mask anyway...

two things, if the water is cold, anything cooler than about 70F, you need to be doing cold water treatments, this mostly removes the sucker punch effect when your face gets hit with the cold water. Super simple, mask off, face in water, inhale through reg or snorkel, exhale through nose until you are comfortable.

If that above exercise is the problem you really need to start doing exhalation drills in the pool until you are comfortable breathing with the mask off of your face, these are all lead up drills to an efficient mask clear. This is as simple as hanging on the side of the pool and exhaling as slowly as possible through your nose. Get to the point where you can start and stop the flow of bubbles. Once you are comfortable with stopping and starting the flow on one breath, add a snorkel so you can start breathing, but always exhaling through your nose. Once that is comfortable, alternate between exhaling through the snorkel and exhaling through your nose so you are comfortable mouth breathing without the mask on your face. At that point, go to the shallow end of the pool, and with a weight belt/diving brick, sit on the bottom of the pool and practice mask drills.

No offense to you, but if you are not comfortable with the above drills, you are not a safe diver, and really need to get that fixed. Having to thumb dives because of mask clears is just not acceptable and it is your instructors fault for passing you through. While you may be physically capable of clearing your mask, it is clearly a major safety issue for you. The above drills should be able to remedy this in a few hours btw, don't need an instructor, don't even need a buddy *just make sure you aren't hyperventilating so the lifeguards don't have to go acquire you*. If you are holding onto the wall and your feet are floating back, tuck your knees in like you are sitting in a chair and you will get sucked to the wall while you are doing these drills.

Gee, this is really helpful. I don't have nearly as big a problem as the OP, but I could benefit from these drills. I've never been comfortable with a flooded mask, and the more so in cold water.

THANKS for posting all the details!

- Bill

So update:

This weekend I've been on a 2 day trip (our weekend is Friday/Saturday) At end of the First dive on the safety stop I did a flood and clear. It wasn't pretty! A combination of first time diving my 7mm and Hood for a year and new harness with soft plate meant I was still dealing my buoyancy in. Anyway no sting and no fretting but it wasn't a demonstration example. Couldn't repeat it on 2nd dive as we were in a drift during SS and 3rd Dive was overtaken by seeing a Whaleshark. Today I used my old mask which was easier to clear - My new mask is a low volume and the only way I can describe it is that it sits close to my nose so there isn't the volume to push out water... Seems weird that normal mask was easier. Anyway will get in the pool this week with both and practice some more

Diving Dubai,

First, where was the whaleshark?

Second, if you go to Martini Bay where there is less cr@p in the water, you could practice swimming without your mask at around 6M along with a buddy to guide you.

I did maskless swims for my PADI Self Reliant course and the IANTD Tri-mix course, it is amazing how you can get used to opening your eyes and swimming without a mask if you really need to.

I've have my share of students who had issues clearing their masks, in and out of the pool. There is one style of mask with a deep inset under the nose that is impossible for many to clear. It was even tough for me! I have a few precepts to mask clearing I try to impart to my students.

Slow. The slower you go, the better.
Gentle. This is a part of slow.
Look up a bit. If you're looking down the mask becomes a bucket, holding the the water.
Don't pull the mask away from your face. Let the gentle pressure do all the work. Pushing on the top of the mask reduces the pressure on the bottom. BTW, having your mask strap too tight is counter productive.

If it's just a nerves issue, try a mask with a purge. I've had a few students that just loved a purge mask. It's not a cheat if it works for you. Divers Direct used to have an EVO mask that was a favorite of mine and yes, it had a purge. I would still be diving that mask if they still carried it. I loved it.

Diving's all about having fun. That's your job under water. If you're not having fun, do something different like that purge mask. You won't know until you try.

Grow a moustache.

You'll have to clear your mask about nineteen times per dive you'll be an expert in no time!

only half joking. This is how I learned, I've only ever known leaky masks so clearing is a non issue for me

Diving Dubai,

First, where was the whaleshark?

> Searcaigh

The Beastie appeared on Ras Mussandam Island (Deep Purple) Third dive of the day. The first wave had been in and gone so we were pretty lucky.

Dropped the video together yesterday - oh me and wife were using just Canon G15 and this was only my second or third attempt at compiling a video. Any shakiness is me, Scooter in one hand (Dragging my wife's dead scooter behind me) and camera in the other. Thankfully tthe Whale shark stops a couple of time to get a look at me and allowed me to catch up :)

[video=vimeo;118425204]https://vimeo.com/118425204[/video]

Back
Top Bottom