Average Depth Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points Bob. I think things are changing, as slow as it may be. Divers and instructors are catching on and eventually agencies will follow. It's always "the establishment" who's last to catch on.

I remember a while back when DAN came out and anounced that they had concluded deep stops were good. Shortly after that, NAUI anounced their rule of halves (a dumb name). The funny thing is that divers had been using deeper stops for many years when DAN finally had their revelation. PADI promptly anounced in their Journal that there was no demonstratable benefit for recreational divers. I think we could use decompression models as old as the light bulb to examine some typical recreational week long profiles and easily demonstrate the potential benefit. The no-benefit arguement is, I think, based on the realative low numbers of divers who are bent.

Still what if those divers don't need to get bent? Maybe the lack of benefit they're refering to is really the business case for developing new tables to sell. And again, some of the chambers in resort areas are pretty busy. I mentioned that a while ago and some one responded that instructors and DM's were taking up more chamber time than customers. Well, what does that tell us? If any one should know how to not get bent it's the pros. No?

I've had some heavy teaching days when I felt pretty lousy afterward. Once I probably should have headed for a chamber. Never was any of the diving outside of the tables or computors I was using. I changed the way I dive and the problems went away. Sadly, the answers didn't come from any agency or DAN. They came from people doing lots of diving and trying real hard to not get hurt.

Rob started a thread to address this, but I've also felt pretty lousy after doing too much in the way of deep stops so you can't just arbitrarily stop too long too deep.

The NAUI rule of halves is probably a step in the right direction but it's still pretty arbitrary.

I know very few divers doing deep or long dives who don't modify their schedules whether they come from software or tables. They modify them based on how they feel and sometimes after a serious incident. Divers doing lots of dives like instructors or vacationers can benefit similarly...especially the older, fatter or more out of shape ones...nothing derogetory meant, we all go through these changes to one degreee or another. Not that the casual diver needs to dive like a technical diver but they can certainly make use of some of the things learned by them. The cutting edge stuff that's really changing things is NOT comming from nor will it come from agencies or organizations like DAN. The significance that has for the casual diver is that it means that not reading it in a book doesn't make it not true. The authors won't write the books until the divers explain things to them. LOL First comes the dives and later the books and explainations.

Depth averaging, ratio deco or any number of other little tricks are just some things divers are using to simplify and control what's going on. Unsafe, as some here have claimed? It's working and we aren't reading in DAN about the guy in the chamber who averaged depths. I think the combination of inert gas loads and ignorance is what's unsafe.

MikeFerrara:
Depth averaging, ratio deco or any number of other little tricks are just some things divers are using to simplify and control what's going on. Unsafe, as some here have claimed? It's working and we aren't reading in DAN about the guy in the chamber who averaged depths. I think the combination of inert gas loads and ignorance is what's unsafe.

They don't get bent because the tables are very conservative, so that diving to the limits for a healthy diver in not too cold water usually has plenty of safety margin in them.

But, even so, divers get bent even when the tables say they should not, and they were well within the limits. Chances are, if some one got bent cutting corners like depth/time averaging, they are probably reluctant to admit it :wink:

Do the numbers yourself:
  • Dive at 100 feet for 8 minutes, then at 50 feet for 8 minutes, and you surface in a pressure group of O.
  • Now, is that the same as 75 feet for 16 minutes?
Certainly not, since the latter would have you in the F group. And, if you planned a repetitive dive as if you were an F, when really you were an O, well you are just asking to get bent.

Of course, there are plenty of examples where the average calculation would have you in a higher group than the tables. Mathematically, we could expect that On average, the average calculation done with tables will be the average of calculations done with the averaging method. But, the variance from actual can be very great, and potentially lead to DCS.

Fact is, calculations for the dive tables (and the computers that automate them) are based upon at least twelve different tissue compartments, with half-lives varying from just a couple of minutes to hours. As well, these tissue compartments become saturated with nitrogen at an exponential rate.

Here is how that is a problem:
  • Averaging is a linear estimate. Since this is an exponential function, the greater the difference between the maximum and minimum depths, the farther off from "truth" the linear (i.e., "average") estimate will be.

• Secondly, since the averaging technique estimates only the nitrogen saturation of an average tissue compartment, if the dive profile is being controlled by a faster, or a slower, compartment, the average will likely not be the controlling compartment. Then, if the dive is planned any where near the average limits, the controlling compartment may become over-saturated and risk the diver getting DCS.
LUCK is never a substitute for planning. The fact that we are not aware of a greater number of "averagers" getting bent than the general population of divers is likely more a testament to the conservative limits built into the tables and the luck of the averagers, or to the fact that no one once bent has admitted they were lazy on their dive planning, than it is evidence that averaging is a smart technique.

Averaging is simply lazy, and dangerous, and is certainly not a good idea.
Some days you get lucky. Some day, you won't. Don't bet your health on it just because you don't know of any one who has been hurt. Yet ...

BiggDawg:
LUCK is never a substitute for planning. The fact that we are not aware of a greater number of "averagers" getting bent than the general population of divers is likely more a testament to the conservative limits built into the tables and the luck of the averagers, or to the fact that no one once bent has admitted they were lazy on their dive planning, than it is evidence that averaging is a smart technique.

Averaging is simply lazy, and dangerous, and is certainly not a good idea.
Some days you get lucky. Some day, you won't. Don't bet your health on it just because you don't know of any one who has been hurt. Yet ...

You've got it right. My spinal collum has been very, very, good to me and I try to be good to it. I have an unreasonable attachment to bowel and bladder control, not to mention sexual function. Use tables the way in which they were designed to be used. Do not expect to break their basic assumptions and be unharmed due to anything other than luck of the draw.

I would say using an average depth is a very bad idea because in many circumstances you will end up in a completely wrong pressure group. If you understand the compartmental nature of dive computer calculations you would know that some compartments fill faster at shallower depths and some fill faster at extreme depths. You could already have filled a 5 minute compartment by the time you ascend to 20 ft for the rest of your dive and you'd be decoing right there. If you're going to get into dive planning you'd be best off using maximum depth. That's by far the simplest, safest way. If you want longer diving it only gets more complicated (multi-level, The Wheel, compartments, etc...)

guys, average depth calculations have nothing to do with pressure groups.

it's a very different (and much more efficient) way to keep track of your nitrogen loading.

pressure groups are meaningless for the folks who do avergae depth calculations.

my only caution to you all is don't comment on things you don't fully understand
(and i mean this in the best possible way ... i don't understand it fully either)

(so i guess i should have shut up and not written this post)

(dang it... everything was going so well)

H2Andy:
guys, average depth calculations have nothing to do with pressure groups.

it's a very different (and much more efficient) way to keep track of your nitrogen loading.

pressure groups are meaningless for the folks who do avergae depth calculations.

That is exactly the problem.
average calculations may not have much to do with pressure groups, but pressure groups have everything to do with nitrogen loading! :icosm12:

Pressure groups are simply a method of calculating nitrogen loading. They are, of course, mathematical models that have eventually been empirically tested.

Obviously, the physiology of diving doesn't change, regardless of your calculations. So, here is the reality:

• Divers get bent for various reasons even when the models say they shouldn't.

• Human tissue gets saturated with nitrogen at different levels, depending on the tissue.

• Dive tables and computers use a minimum of twelve different groups, with different rates and different halftimes.

• Averaging only estimates based upon loading for One (i.e., an "average") Tissue group.

• As a result, averaging is not likely to be calculating the one tissue group that is controlling the dive (the one being closest to saturation).
Even if the averaging method did, in fact, watch the correct tissue group, averaging is a linear estimate. Since tissue saturates with nitrogen at an exponential rate, a linear estimate is going to be in error. And, that error will increase the greater the difference between the deeper and shallower depth. (Of course, if there is not much difference between top and bottom, the estimate won't be far off, but there won't be any need to average, either.)

Result is, the more you have use for multilevel profile calculations, the less accurate averaging will be.

As I posted above, there can be very large differences between what level of saturation averaging will estimate, and what level the diver actually has.

Averaging is not more efficient unless you define "efficient" simply as "easier" or "faster." That, it probably is. But if you define "efficient" as knowing what is happening, or as not getting bent while maximizing bottom time, averaging is dangerous, and invites DCS.

If "pressure groups are absolutely meaningless for the folks who do average depth calculations," it would appear to be those who do not understand this stuff. But then, isn't that what was posted?

B.T.W., Some of us DO understand this stuff. That is why I am commenting. Those that actually understand how tissue gets loaded with nitrogen would not consider taking short cuts with their lives. :bubble_fi Anything else is just dangerous.
:scubadive

BiggDawg:
That is exactly the problem.
average calculations may not have much to do with pressure groups, but pressure groups have everything to do with nitrogen loading! :icosm12:

nah, as you admit, they're just one way to arbitrarily describe what is going on. there are others.

in fact, it might surprise you to learn that there is no such a thing as a no-decompression limit either -- that too is an arbitrary way of dealing with the
problem (there are others)

really, i would advice you to learn more about the method you are critizing

H2Andy:
nah, as you admit, they're just one way to arbitrarily describe what is going on. there are others.

in fact, it might surprise you to learn that there is no such a thing as a no-decompression limit either -- that too is an arbitrary way of dealing with the
problem (there are others)

really, i would advice you to learn more about the method you are critizing

I "admit" no such thing! :huh:
They are, in no way "arbitrary." A mathematical model of complex natural phenomena is improperly characterized as "arbitrary."

Please review your high school calculus book. Both "models" are mathematical estimates. Using a linear model (average) to estimate an exponential model (reality of tissue loading) invites error. Doing so with your health invites disaster.

I recommend that until you understand the mathematics and the physiology, you stay with "don't try this at home." But when you understand the differences, you should be able to understand why averaging is dangerous. It is only a more imperfect estimate of a phenomenon about which we have imperfect information!

It has been said "There is NO 'safe' dive. We can only try to make dives less dangerous." Why would any one want to make more dangerous that about which we do, at least, have some understanding?

BiggDawg, what is your background for your claims to understanding gas loading so well as to tell divers who have literally written books about decompression that they are doing it "wrong"?

Do you have any studies to cite? Some professional expertise? Have you conducted this research yourself?

Well, this has resurrected itself after over a year's break...
Uncle Ricky sez:
If you run profiles through any modern dive computer algorithm, you'll find that within the mid-range of recreational dives, say 50 to 110 feet and dive times typical of a single 80, depth averaging and the computer will be quite happy together, and, therefore, if the computer algorithms are to be trusted then depth averaging must be given credence as well, however ill founded its premise may or may not be. Simply put, within those constraints it works, at least as well as dive computers. (Whether any DCS avoidance scheme works is always a matter of degree, and as the waivers and books say, "no table or computer can guarantee you won't get DCS.")
Now, that said, you can certainly devise a dive or dives where depth averaging is patently unsafe and shouldn't be used, but that doesn't change the fact that there exists a range of depths and times where the system is as safe or safer than any dive computer.
The key is in knowing the sane range; the danger is in using depth averaging when the user doesn't know when he/she's near or over the edge.
Therefore... as general guidance, don't use depth averaging unless you've actually run your contemplated profile against a validated table or computer algorithm and are sure what you're planning fits :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom