Average Depth Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Jeff, you're talking to the wrong person . . . I've written before about the dismay with which I learned that this modelling is a highly abstract and essentially completely theoretical model, as nitrogen loading, on- and offgassing of various tissues has not been directly measured (nor do I want to volunteer to have a mass spec probe placed in my brain . . . :) ). But there IS a model, and calculation which is done. I just felt limey's comments suggested that the tables were derived by diving a lot of people and seeing which profiles produced DCS and which didn't. There IS more structure to it than that.

True, there is more structure to the current tables than that (as opposed to the standard "goat" tables). For whatever benefit that might or might not give you.

Charlie99:

Put in simpler words, one can easily check the validity and the limits of validity of things like "average depth tracking" by cranking it through Decoplanner, GAP, VPM or other decompression programs.

BUt doesnt that assume that Decoplanner, GAP etc are somehow the "Gold standard" and always correct? How do we know they are accurate? Well, by diving and seeing what happens.

Do you really think that if suddenly a large number of people got bent on a particular Decoplanner profile they wouldn't tweak the numbers?

And amusingly a lot of the data for ratio deco essentially does come from those packages in the first place. It's just been "massaged" somewhat

limeyx:
BUt doesnt that assume that Decoplanner, GAP etc are somehow the "Gold standard" and always correct? How do we know they are accurate? Well, by diving and seeing what happens.
First of all, look at the sentence above the one you chose to quote:
charlie99:
If you have reasonable faith in the model, then the first round of validation of a proposed deco tracking method is to run various profiles through it, and also through an underlying decompression model in which you already have reasonble faith because of prior experiments.
In other words, running a proposed tracking method through the various models to see if that method is consistent with them is the first, easiest, and quickest thing to do. It isn't the only validation.

If you are actually trying to develop a new understanding of decompression and develop a new model, that is quite different than validating the safety of a particular method of calculation decompression or tracking time and depth. Using those models/deco programs to check a proposed method of tracking saves a lot of time and effort. It weeds out the obviously bogus methods. It gives some pretty good indications of where the methods apply and where they fail.

Average depth tracking isn't a deco model. It is a tracking algorithm. Square profile tables are not deco models. They are tracking method or algorithm. Do you really think all of those many numbers on the dive tables have been tested? Of course not. What gets tested is the underlying model. Are they perfect. Obviously not. But the underlying models are a lot closer to the "truth" than is an imperfect, simplified representation such as a square profile table (PADI RDP, USN Table, etc.) or a simplied tracking method such as "average depth diving".
Do you really think that if suddenly a large number of people got bent on a particular Decoplanner profile they wouldn't tweak the numbers?
Of course numbers will be tweaked, but once it is verified that the program is running correctly, what will be tweaked is model, not some random number or limit in the program. Indeed, a signficant number of people being bent following Decoplanner profiles would probably result in several models being tweaked, not just the Buhlmann model used in Decoplanner 1 and 2.

And amusingly a lot of the data for ratio deco essentially does come from those packages in the first place. It's just been "massaged" somewhat
Not amusing at all. Obvious and natural, if one thinks about it a bit.

What would be amusing would be someone thinking that how one tracks time and depth somehow affects the biophysics of decompression.

---------------------------------

I think a lot of the heat and confusion around the issue of average depth diving is due to confusing this method of tracking decompression status with a decompression model. That confusion isn't very surprising, considering how many people continue to think that tables are deco models, when in reality they are relatively limited, poor representations of the model, particularly for multilevel dives.

Average depth diving has the advantage of factoring in depths other than just the maximum depth, as is done on a square profile table.

Thalassamania:
The thing that I don't understand is the Luddite approach of many of the averaging adherents; average depth diving is an obvious potential computer application. It is not hard to envision a dive computer that can do both "conventional" and averaging calculations and show you were you stand from both perspectives.

i'm not a luddite. i work on 30,000 servers at work. if you give me a programmable computer, i'd be happy to work on a dive computer which came up with the deco that i would like to do, and which defaulted to something sane like 32% instead of air and didn't do some of the weenie penalization junk.

lamont:
i'm not a luddite. i work on 30,000 servers at work. if you give me a programmable computer, i'd be happy to work on a dive computer which came up with the deco that i would like to do, and which defaulted to something sane like 32% instead of air and didn't do some of the weenie penalization junk.
... and when you got done playing with it, would you wear it?

:eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Charlie99,
That was very well spoken and can agree with just about everything in there.

Regarding if people got bent diving Buhlman profiles they'd revise the model. Well people were definately getting subclinical DCS from Buhlman profiles and that's why just about every other program/approach out there has moved away from them. I still have a Haldane air computer and I know why I was so wasted after I dove with it. Air, 60ft/min ascent rates, one stop for 3 mins at 15ft. Yuck.

Computers have barely scratched the surface of the deep stop issue. Some of the best are starting to (e.g. VR3 with various upgrades). Still rather falable though.

NWGratefulDiver:
... and when you got done playing with it, would you wear it?

:eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sure. as long as i didn't take up much real estate on the dial, i'd just make it flash when it got exceeded and not make it lock out either. then i could dive and largely ignore it except for occasional checks.

then i could play around with other stuff, too, like having a smaller time display for total time spent +/- 5 ft or so to time deco stops and stuff like that...

when it came to tech diving, i'd probably also program in automatic gas selection (21/35, 50%, 100%) and automatic deco stop gas switching...

thing is though, that its just really a PITA to figure out a computer UI that allows for gas switching clusters. imagine you go onto your 70 ft bottle, and your buddy tries to go onto theirs and they find their mouthpiece is broken (OOA, but gas-delivery issue), so you switch to 5 on / 5 off or so of your 70 ft bottle while you mess around with swapping regulator mouthpieces until you can go back on a 10 on / 5 off schedule. now, either the computer automagically switched you onto your 70 ft bottle at 70 feet and has been underestimating your deco, or else it never switched you onto it and has been complaining about you moving up faster because it thinks you are still on backgas. and how do you go back and tell the computer that from 70 ft to present you've been doing 1.5 x deco because of the 5 on / 5 off backgas breaks you've been taking. is there some button option or menu option for that?

what would be cool would be a reliable mechanism for measuring what you're actually breathing (sensors in a rebreather loop sort of do this, but they fail on a bailout to OC) and that way the computer would just adjust on the fly to whatever gas switching you did...

lamont:
sure. as long as i didn't take up much real estate on the dial, i'd just make it flash when it got exceeded and not make it lock out either. then i could dive and largely ignore it except for occasional checks.

then i could play around with other stuff, too, like having a smaller time display for total time spent +/- 5 ft or so to time deco stops and stuff like that...

when it came to tech diving, i'd probably also program in automatic gas selection (21/35, 50%, 100%) and automatic deco stop gas switching...

thing is though, that its just really a PITA to figure out a computer UI that allows for gas switching clusters. imagine you go onto your 70 ft bottle, and your buddy tries to go onto theirs and they find their mouthpiece is broken (OOA, but gas-delivery issue), so you switch to 5 on / 5 off or so of your 70 ft bottle while you mess around with swapping regulator mouthpieces until you can go back on a 10 on / 5 off schedule. now, either the computer automagically switched you onto your 70 ft bottle at 70 feet and has been underestimating your deco, or else it never switched you onto it and has been complaining about you moving up faster because it thinks you are still on backgas. and how do you go back and tell the computer that from 70 ft to present you've been doing 1.5 x deco because of the 5 on / 5 off backgas breaks you've been taking. is there some button option or menu option for that?

what would be cool would be a reliable mechanism for measuring what you're actually breathing (sensors in a rebreather loop sort of do this, but they fail on a bailout to OC) and that way the computer would just adjust on the fly to whatever gas switching you did...

Or... just forget that air is poison, breath it, and use any computer out there :)

OK OK OK, I admit it. Depth averaging is stupid, dangerous and cannot be done.
Even worse, following anything other than my computer is going to kill/bend me (even if I have two computers telling me two different things).

I guess I will just shut up and do what my computer says from now on.

Sorry for the interruption.

I'm waaaay done with this topic.

EDIT: This post is not meant to be a direct response to Charlie, so I edited it as such.
I think it's time I took a holiday from this board. Have fun folks.

limeyx:
First off, I'd rather you not call me an idiot if you can possibly help it.
Second, how do you really think that tables are generated? Maybe not by exactly that method, but it's all experimentation and reducing the statistical chances of getting injured to a "small enough" number.

Second, go tell that to people who regularly save multiple hours of decompression by doing just that.
Well a lot of people have gone over the how tables were created so i wont drag it up again. Personal experimentation is all well and good, but publishing it on a recreational dive forum seesm irresponsible and i still think the lady in question should find a better way to dive and go see a doctor.

BTW who are these people who save multiple hours of decompression, by that i assume you mean in a chamber? If they are suign a table, computer or wjhatever that they 'pad' to avoid a chambe rride shouldnt thery be reporting these findings to whoever is reponsible so that the tbales are changed to include the padding?:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom