Back to diving after 5 long years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indonesia is a VERY BIG archipelago. I would not mind going there. Since I am of Chinese descent, there have been so much news about how Chinese people are treated there. But when I compare the real events in the Philippines to those reported by the media, and I make an analogy, I concluded that it is definitely safe to go to Indonesia. Of course, in most places.

NAD - don't be so sure... something BIG is going to happen very soon and if they impose martial law, it applies to the whole country. Indonesia is in big trouble and even though my friends tell me it is ok in Bali (and I know what it's like there!) I am still hesitant to go there right now. You never know what might happen.

Perhaps the Philippines action is limited to one area in the south, but the trouble in Indo starts in the far north (Aceh) and goes from island to island all the way to furthest east, Irian Jaya.... Anyway, that's just my own feeling - I am glad to be safe in Bangkok! :p

But anyway, ADG and NAD, come on over for some THai diving sometime...

Hey Robert - sorry about the incorrect initials for you earlier... I thought you were new asian diver!

NWD.... got it now. And yep, Thai food is THE best!
:p

You know what??? the thing is that with all these political upheavals happening in Indonesia and Philippines, Thailand is really enjoying the benefits....seems that tourists and divers are all heading for Thailand and to a lesser extent Malaysia (coz of Sipadan) for a safe and great holiday....but then again, i have also heard of some tourists who scoff at the danger reports, and who have reported a great trip to Indonesia and Philippines...i think it really depends on ur luck (or lack of)

Some people actually crave holidays with an edge of danger...i think meeting an aggressive triggerfish face-to-face is enuff excitment for me :)

ADG - I agree! there is another thread about triggerfish somewhere on the boards... and I thought I only had to worry about sharks!

LOL

Hehehe. I am pretty sure that most tourists who came to the Philippines had a good time. Of course, one rotten apple always gets to hog the headlines. I guess that's the same as anywhere in the world.

As for triggerfish... I was attacked once, I had a diver attacked once, a fellow instructor from our dive shop was attacked by the same trigger at the same dive site during her last 4 dives there. What can I say, mating season and it's their world or territory.

Call it discrimination but, I HATE TRIGGERS! :laugh:

yah boy, call it my buddy's luck, but she never fails to be attacked by a trigger on almost every trip she's made - they simply love her (thankfully only her fin), everyone simply rocks with laughter the way triggers seem attracted to her!

during my recent trip to redang, my non-diving friends who went snorkelling met up with a trigger twice. One huge group of middle-aged tourists who were happily feeding the fish ooohed and aahhhed over it: "wahhh what a hugggge fish!!"

My friends got "lucky" again a second time when this trigger followed them closely for a while, freaking them out big time! :) who ever said that only divers enjoy all the fun!

Seems like that particular fish was not feeling territorial that day then. I've heard some horror stories about being attacked and not even seeing what it was until it's too late. Yep, I am REALLY looking forward to my first trigger fish encounter....
:p

Originally posted by Asiandivergal
by gosh!! yes that's cold!! I normally use only a 0.5mm suit to dive, and that is considered a little warm sometimes...will have to try diving in canada, sure would be an interesting experience

Sorry, but no matter where you go in Canada, I just don't think a 0.5 will cut it. There is lots to see here. From wrecks, to fantastic underwater life (on the coasts). I've just been given a book on the stuff on the Pacific coast (British Columbia) Wow. I'm now in the process of figuring just when to go.

Back
Top Bottom