Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea is that you put it in gauge mode and leave it in gauge mode.
What would be the point of having a backup computer in gauge mode?

If your primary computer failed, wouldn't you want to know your depth and keep time?
I'd prefer it to know my deco time as well as tissue loading and guidance for a subsequent dive.

I'd prefer it to know my deco time as well as tissue loading and guidance for a subsequent dive.

Yes, so would I, but my comment has been taken out of context. I can't be bothered to go back through all the posts, but we were discussing options for diving two computers with different algorithms. Option 1: dive to the algorithm of the most conservative computer. Option 2: use one computer as a timer. Of course, the best option is to have two identical computers, but that's not what was asked.

Of those 2 options, I'd pick #1. At some point, I would be irritated enough to sell the overly conservative one and get one that matched.

If your primary computer failed, wouldn't you want to know your depth and keep time?
If you are diving with one computer and it fails, you should end the dive. The only way knowing your depth and time would help you is if you were on a true square profile dive and could use tables for the next dive. If you are on a typical multilevel dive, it does you no good at all.

If you are diving with one computer and it fails, you should end the dive. The only way knowing your depth and time would help you is if you were on a true square profile dive and could use tables for the next dive. If you are on a typical multilevel dive, it does you no good at all.

Yes, computer fails, you end your dive (goes without saying). Knowing depth and time will help you end your dive safely. Depth, ascent rate, safety stop time. I can't see how you would think otherwise.

As for subsequent dives, that is another kettle of fish.

Yes, computer fails, you end your dive (goes without saying). Knowing depth and time will help you end your dive safely. Depth, ascent rate, safety stop time. I can't see how you would think otherwise.

I guess I'm funny that way. I just think that I can make a safe ascent from an NDL dive without having that. Apparently you would need it, in which case you definitely should carry one.

How would you use this info to plan your next dive?

Exactly why I dive 2 computers, I have also always had a backup for tank pressure. I have never had to call a dive early or lost any dives in a series due to equipment failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom