Backup Computer with different algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confused about what is going on here right now.

I myself always dive with two computers. I was questioning the value of having a computer in gauge mode as a backup to a single computer.

Now, I have never had to end a dive because of computer failure, but I have never never seen anyone diving with a single computer end a dive for that reason, either.

I'm sure you know the textbook answer.
Yes, go to tables. That is not the question. How would you do that, since they are not useful for multilevel dives as you likely are doing?

Yes, go to tables. That is not the question. How would you do that, since they are not useful for multilevel dives as you likely are doing?

No, you stop diving for 12-24 hours.

The question was how to dive with two computers with different algorithms. I gave three possible options.

1) Dive to the computer with the most conservative algorithm.
2) Use one computer as per normal and the other in timer/gauge mode.
3) Replace one of the computers so that the diver has two identical computers.

Option 3 is the best choice, followed by Option 1 and then Option 2. Regarding Option 2, I would like to know depth, ascent rate and time of safety/decompression stops in the event of primary computer failure, but you cannot plan subsequent dives if you go down this route. However, it is still a better choice than diving with one computer in my opinion.

However, it is still a better choice than diving with one computer in my opinion.
This us what I don't understand. If you are just going to stay out of the water for 24h, what value does the bottom timer add?

Regarding Option 2, I would like to know depth, ascent rate and time of safety/decompression stops in the event of primary computer failure, but you cannot plan subsequent dives if you go down this route. However, it is still a better choice than diving with one computer in my opinion.
Gotcha. That makes sense to an extent.

If we are dealing with NDL dives, the computer in gauge mode can provide a bit more information to complete the ascent and safety stop than the dead computer. However, unless it’s a dedicated bottom timer, there really is no point. The other options are much better options. With an actual computer, this really isn’t an option at all. It’s a Plan B of option 1 where the diver really didn’t follow option 1 at all.

If you are diving with one computer and it fails, you should end the dive. The only way knowing your depth and time would help you is if you were on a true square profile dive and could use tables for the next dive. If you are on a typical multilevel dive, it does you no good at all.
I think we're all agreed that you should end the dive if your primary computer fails. Knowing your depth and time on a backup comp is valuable data assist for a safe controlled ascent along with a safety stop....and having once back on the boat or shore, having overall time and max depth data on your backup is also valuable "bonus" data in that it might help you make personal decisions on how long you feel you need to wait prior to resuming diving or flying.
I guess I'm funny that way. I just think that I can make a safe ascent from an NDL dive without having that. Apparently you would need it, in which case you definitely should carry one.
John.....unless I am misunderstanding your answer to @MB NZ comment, you seem to be saying that you feel you could make a safe ascent on an NDL dive without having any depth or time data. I'm guessing that with your experience that you probably could. But for many divers, including myself, here in the Puget Sound with low vis and no visual bottom or surface reference, a controlled ascent with a stop at 15-20ft could be a challenge. And then there's night dives to consider. I guess you could simply carry a back-up analog depth gauge or track bubble rate...... but isn't it better to have the added data that a computer provides?
How would you use this info to plan your next dive?
It might help you make personal decisions on your overall surface time prior to resuming diving.
It helps you to get out the water safely.
I just can't see any valid argument against that comment...

I was overwhelmingly confused by the point being made, and I think I still am. At the time, the argument seemed to be being made that if you have two computers with differing algorithms, you should put one in gauge mode to use as a backup. I did not see the point in that. The only way it is better than not having any backup is as described, and in that case it is just barely better than not having a backup.

Back
Top Bottom