bare reactive wetsuit are they warm as ad says

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know one guy who owns a dive shop, so he has a LOT of wetsuits. He says his Reactive 5mm is as warm as his other 7mm suits. I've met and talked to a number of other people who have them who all say they are very warm. I was diving for a week in Hawaii in April and most of the DMs I was on the boat with had Reactive suits. The water is Hawaii is not as warm as some people seem to expect. And diving multiple dives multiple days in a row sucks the heat out of you eventually.

The only bad thing I've heard was one of the DMs in Hawaii had his main zipper break while we were out and he said several other people with Reactive suits from their shop had had the same problem.

First, the Bare marketing on the "infra-red reflective" material us just BS. There are a host of web sites (once you get past the marketing/selling ones) showing this material has no real effect. It certainly would have no effect through a layer of water which absorbs infra-red even before visible light wavelengths.

That being said, I tried one on at my LDS. The neoprene was super stretchy and gave a very snug contoured fit. The lining was plush and would trap water well to prevent flushing. The wrist, ankle, neck and zipper seals were all excellent and of high quality. Thus, I fully expect this suit would be very warm, because it is a high-quality well sealed and well fitting suit, regardless of marketing. Since I didn't buy it I cannot comment on durability. Also, as with all super-stretch neoprene, I would expect compression and reduced warmth at any depth below 60'.

I know a couple of DMs who use them here in Florida and are happy with them.

Cost is high. I am saving for a custom cut nitrogen blown neoprene suit that will cost twice as much but last me a lifetime, which is why I didn't buy the Bare.

If I was looking off the rack, Bares and Waterproofs would be top contenders..

First, the Bare marketing on the "infra-red reflective" material us just BS. There are a host of web sites (once you get past the marketing/selling ones) showing this material has no real effect. It certainly would have no effect through a layer of water which absorbs infra-red even before visible light wavelengths.

You're saying the thickness of the layer of water between your skin and the suit is enough to filter out infrared that is emitted by your body before it reaches the wetsuit material?

Got any links to the sites that show that this material has no effect?

I don't know if the material has the claimed benefit or not. I just know people who have the suit and say that it's warmer than other comparable suits. I've considered replacing my wetsuits, when the time comes, with Reactive suits. So, I'd love to see any info, pro or con, that shows whether they work or not.

you have to google it and then go through a couple of pages to get beyond the marketing/sales/product sites find the actual research and unbiased reviews.

Also, the infra-red has to go through the water layer, into the material, "bounce back" and then go through the water again, then back through your skin deep enough to heat the blood vessels. Just don't think that is happening.

However, I don't think you would go wrong buying one of these, because of their quality. I would imagine they are warmer than other less well put together suits of the same thickness. Just don't expect "5 mil warmth in a 3 mil" type of difference. There's no free lunch here, just like the "titanium" BS that was popular a couple years ago.

Tried googling and didn't find the research you mention, i could have missed i guess

Any links would be very much appreciated!

I got the previous years model on sale for about half price. Keep an eye out if you're in the market. I'm very happy with mine.

So here are some very common and most used techniques used by the advertisers to get desired results.
  • Emotional Appeal. ...
  • Promotional Advertising. ...
  • Bandwagon Advertising. ...
  • Facts and Statistics. ...
  • Unfinished Ads. ...
  • Weasel Words. ...
  • Endorsements. ...
  • Complementing the Customers.

I own two of them, 5mm & 7mm. I love them. Warm, stretchy, comfortable, & long lasting. However, are they warned than ScubaPro, Henderson, AquaLung, etc? I have no clue. I’ve been a happy Bare wetsuit customer for yours. My thicker suits (5mm & 7mm) have all been Bare. I’ve never tried another brand. I’ve had no reason to.

My thin suits (2.5-3mm) have been other brands but for those water temps I went for value over top-of-the-line.

ADDITION: I forgot to mention that my 5mm is a Reactive Gen 1 and my 7mm is a Reactive Gen 2.

I got Reactive 3 and 5mm suits after my last post in this thread. I got them about 3 years ago. So, they were 1st Gen, but not the early first gens. I mentioned above about issues with the main zipper. Before I bought mine, I talked to my Bare rep about that and he said that they had fixed that issue.

I switched from ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2 and 5/4 suits (which I still have) to the Bare. About 4 months ago, I got a new Waterproof W7 in 5mm and sold my Bare 5mm.

My experience: The Reactive suits are very warm for the thickness they are. Also, the new (2nd gen, that just came out in the last few months) Reactive suits are claimed to be 30% warmer. If they are ANY warmer, then they must be really darn warm. I feel good about saying that my Reactive suits are the warmest suits I've used (in their respective thicknesses).

I have dived my Reactive 5mm:

71 minutes in 54F water
50 minutes in 51F (later on same day as previous)
68 minutes in 55F water (totally different weekend)

Those were with the Bare Ultrawarmth 7/5 hood, Bare Ultrawarmth 5mm boots, and Bare Ultrawarmth 3mm gloves, and nothing else.

Since I moved the Bare 5mm on and get the W7 5mm, I have done 49 dives in the W7.

It's hard to really say, but I think the W7 is not quite as warm, in the sense of holding heat in via insulation. And maybe not QUITE as warm overall. But, in contrast to the Reactive, the W7 seems to keep me about as warm overall by virtue of having better seals and not letting water flush through quite as easily.

The Reactive suits seal up at the wrists and ankles very well. But, the seals on the W7 are pretty much semi-dry suit seals, so they seal up the suit even better.

Be aware that Bare sizing can be a bit retarded and you can't necessarily go by their sizing chart. ESPECIALLY if you are a "thick XL" or "short XXL" (which is me, either way you describe it). For their wetsuits, if you are in between, I would definitely suggest to choose the smaller size. I'm way thicker than recommended for a Bare XL, but that is what I wear. XXL is too long in the arms and legs for me. XXL Short is way too short in the torso for me. The XL was a bit more snug than I like, around my torso, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Also, I wear size 10.5 - 11 shoes. In the Bare boots, I had to get their size 9 and even those are just a little too big for me. I wear 2mm neoprene socks with them, just to make them wearable.

The Bare hood is awesome and true to size. I switched to the Waterproof H1 hood and it is also awesome. I have a bunch of hoods and those two are equally more favorites.

The Bare gloves are true to size, but I don't really like them. They are hard to get on and the "scales" on the palms are slippery. I switched to Waterproof G1 3mm gloves and like them WAY better than the Bare gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom