Bare Reactive Wetsuits--Anyone tried them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supposedly the Bare Velocity Ultra has the Celliant material. So unless its a scaled down version is has the same technology.

I don't doubt that if you make a lining that reflects infrared, that it could improve warmth. The reality is that water exchange in the suit and heat loss through conduction (i.e. influenced by suit thickness) are going to be the biggest factors influencing warmth.

The thing that bugs me about Bare though, is their advertising. They used to say their suit "converted" body heat into infrared radiation (i.e. heat). That's stupid because body heat is already IR. Second, their site now promotes IR as "scientifically proven to improve circulation, elevate oxygen levels, and promote cell health." Reflecting a little body heat is very different from applying directed high heat to, let's say sore muscles. The hype is so stupid, I could just never bring myself to buy their wetsuits.

Just my 0.02.

The thing that bugs me about Bare though, is their advertising. They used to say their suit "converted" body heat into infrared radiation (i.e. heat). That's stupid because body heat is already IR.

DI - uh - TTO!!

But, I would still like to have one, stupid Marketing or not. If I avoided every product that I thought had outrageously stupid marketing... well, I wouldn't have very much "stuff". :)

But, I would still like to have one, stupid Marketing or not. If I avoided every product that I thought had outrageously stupid marketing... well, I wouldn't have very much "stuff". :)

Good point! :D

I have the 5 mil and it is very warm. It's not magic. I have a 7 mil Bare Elastek which is warmer, but a bear to put on. I agree that Bare hyped the features a little too breathlessly, but if you can get one at a discount, I think it's probably worth it.

I have the 5 mil and it is very warm. It's not magic. I have a 7 mil Bare Elastek which is warmer, but a bear to put on. I agree that Bare hyped the features a little too breathlessly, but if you can get one at a discount, I think it's probably worth it.

I have yet to see one for less than about $400. Which is about double what I have ever paid for a wetsuit. And I have good wetsuits.

Rather late to the thread, but my wife and I each purchased the 7mm Reactive (Evoke in the women's model) when the women's first came out about a year and a half ago. The first thing that we did was jump into our pool, which was around 55 degrees to see if the 'infrared technology' was all just hype, or if there was something to it. After floating there for 20 minutes, we decided that the suits would indeed keep us cozy warm. We dove Jan 2nd this year in 51 degrees, and after 45 minutes it was our feet that finally forced us out of the water. Our bodies were still completely comfortable. We are looking forward to the new boots that BARE has coming out made of the same material.

When we dove in water over 60 degrees, we had to let water in a couple of times to avoid overheating. So yes, these suits really are all that they are cracked up to be. These are a bear to put on (no pun intended), but they are supposed to be on the tight side, and at 7mm, they are also stiff. The water seeps in slowly, as well, so you do not get a rush of cold water down your back. You get a slight trickle, but after a few seconds it is not even noticeable. All in all, we were extremely pleased with these suits, and honestly, I feel that they are worth the comparatively steep price tag.

My only complaint- I have been hitting the gym and put a bunch of weight back on, so now I have no suit for this winter. I am actually going to post it in the classifieds, in case anyone is interested in stepping into this level suit for a lot less than retail. Unfortunately, I have to go back to the shop and ante up again.

I've only owned one wetsuit in my short time diving, a Bare Reactive 5mm. I'm extremely comfortable in it. I've been staying down in Florida springs at 72º for 60-90 minutes without getting more than a little chilly. I spend a lot of time barely moving too. I don't know much about wetsuits, but I know when I'm comfortable.

I can confirm your experience with very little water intrusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom