BC integrated weights – dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right that an integrated bc makes it more dangerous in a situation where you have to remove your bc. However, the integrated bc negates the possibility of your weight belt coming undone and slipping off and therefore adds an element of safety in another area. It's a trade off I guess.

hi rick ...i dive with a weight integrated bc (scubapro glide) and i love it.i have a handicap WMB. (white mans butt)LOL the weight belt slides down to my ankles when dry, never mind at depth when i start to compress.my bc has buckles on the shoulder straps so even when i'm wearing 7mil wet suit & a 3 mil hooded vest and my movement is restricted i can undo the waist buckle & cummerbund then undo a shoulder strap & slip out smoothe & easy while still anchored by 1 arm. even with an arm in the strap i can reach the tank strap, 1st stage,non dumpable weight ,or any part of my bc and still be anchored by that arm.try it in 15 ft of water a few times until you're comfortable with this skill....it could mean your life someday.hope this helps. later, red

I agree with jiveturkey's post. It is right to the point. It is all a tradeoff. I dive with a weight belt and often wonder about buoyancy issues with a weight integrated BCD when it's time to replace my BCD. I mostly solo dive and like the ability to remove my BCD underwater should the need arise and I think the weight belt setup offers more flexibility in that area. Here is one scenario I always wonder about. If I was stalked by a shark, as in saw it circling and closing in on me, I would remove my BCD/tank over my head and keep it in front of me for protection. I think that would be more difficult without a weight belt. But how often would that scenario present itself? I'm sure others will post scenarios in response to this where weight integration is a better choice. It all comes down to "tradeoffs".
:shades:

Whether you are diving a weight integrated BC or a BP/wing and steel tanks without a weightbelt you're faced with the same problem if you need to get out of the scuba unit. Regardless of whether you're wet or dry, you're most likely going to be pretty positively buoyant if you must remove the scuba unit, so...
In the pool, when removing the scuba unit for drill, if you can keep the center of positive buoyancy (you) directly under the center of negative buoyancy (your scuba unit), the exercise is an easy one. Just maneuver to keep the scuba unit above you at all times and you'll find the weight integrated (or BP/wing/steel) unit is actually easier to control than the non-integrated system, as donning it is simply a matter of letting it drop in place.
In the real world, if you must remove the unit to get it untangled, you may not be able to stay under it, and you'll just have to hang on until you get the unit free and can then roll up under it for control and ease of getting it back on.
If you'll just think about and work toward staying under the unit you'll find that dealing with the weight-integrated (or steel tank/BP/wing) unit really is a piece of cake.
Rick

Just as a point of information, I have found that the DUI weight harness (Weight and Trim II) works extremely well for diving wet or dry. It makes carrying weight much more comfortable. It makes trimming much easier. It makes half of your weight easily ditchable. And, you can detach half at a time and hand up each section with easily grabbed handles before you come up on the boat. As they say, try it. You'll like it!:wink:

I own a Seaquest Pro QD. I've used it for about eighty dives or so. The velcro that holds the ditchable weight has worn and the weights have left me at times when it wasen't the plan:eek: . I continue to use the BC, and I still use the non ditch pockets, but I use a weight belt with it now. This system seems to work better then OEM anyway, because I can run ten pounds non ditchable and have a fairly light weight belt. 14 lbs used with a full 7mm suit.
I see that Seaquest has since gotten away from the velcro, like everybody else. Gee, I wonder why.

Jim

I dive with a weight integrated BC. I love it for the comfort and the fact I don't have a set of weights digging into me that also have a tendancy to shift around. My style BC has the zippered pockets with a ripcord release system.

I dove last year with a fellow that had the velcro attached set of weights. One dive I was moseying along the bottom and looked down and noticed a bright yellow weight set on the bottom. Picked it up and found out a minute later that it was the guys weights that I was diving with. He and his buddy had to abort the dive because he lost his weights...luckily I found them!

I use a WI BC and I love it, but I also wear a little bit of weight on a weight belt too. Gives me a bit more flexibility if I have to ditch any weights.

I recently purchased th Sherwood Avid with CQR system (not velcro)...awesome! Sure, it's heavy oustside the water but boy, it feels good under. Although I wouldn`t be able to put the pouches back in underwater without help.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Whether you are diving a weight integrated BC or a BP/wing and steel tanks without a weightbelt you're faced with the same problem if you need to get out of the scuba unit. Regardless of whether you're wet or dry, you're most likely going to be pretty positively buoyant if you must remove the scuba unit, so...
In the pool, when removing the scuba unit for drill, if you can keep the center of positive buoyancy (you) directly under the center of negative buoyancy (your scuba unit), the exercise is an easy one. Just maneuver to keep the scuba unit above you at all times and you'll find the weight integrated (or BP/wing/steel) unit is actually easier to control than the non-integrated system, as donning it is simply a matter of letting it drop in place.
In the real world, if you must remove the unit to get it untangled, you may not be able to stay under it, and you'll just have to hang on until you get the unit free and can then roll up under it for control and ease of getting it back on.
If you'll just think about and work toward staying under the unit you'll find that dealing with the weight-integrated (or steel tank/BP/wing) unit really is a piece of cake.
Rick

Good stuff, Rick. Thanks. I'm looking forward to playing around with it in a controlled enviromnent. Of course, staying UNDER the unit makes perfect sense. I just bought a dry suit today (used DUI neoprene) and plan on spending some time in the pool to practice with it. This will be a good time to try diching and doning my stuff with weight integrated BC AND extra dry suit hose. FUN!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom