BCD for Curvy Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backplate and wing!! Nothing cluttering the front. Easy adaptation. Crotchstrap may look uncomfortable, but stabilizes and keeps everything where it is supposed to be. Continuous webbing not cut too short will be able to adapt to fluctuations. Got mine in 2012. Never looked back!

Backplate and wing can fit almost anyone. Plus it's really the way ahead of you're going to dive long term.
If you're thinking of a backplate and wing PLEASE try on someone's to see what you think. I tried one on and my curves are in the wrong places for it to be comfortable for me. LOVE having a crotch strap - got one installed on my Zena. But this is a decision you will spend a lot of money for and live with for a long time (hopefully). At the very least, buy your BC somewhere you can return it (before diving in it) if you don't like it (amazon). I started out with a jacket style BC and would never go back. But it's SUCH a personal decision and I dive with people who love their jacket style BCs ... AND their split fins!!!! :giggle: :popcorn:

Just so you know what we are talking about, here's a video showing the harness on a backplate getting fitted to a woman (most of these feature guys). It's a little unrealistic because everything fits basically from the start, but it gives the idea.

Keep in mind with a thinner aluminum BP you can bend it to fit or pick a different shape. You can skip the continuous webbing but I wouldn't.
You can move the weight around which is a huge advantage for people who carry buoyancy in different places on their body.

My wife and daughters all use backplates and wings BUT before coming over to the dark side, my wife used an Aqualung Pearl and found it comfortable for a jacket style BCD. She found that her buoynacy control and body position became much easier to manage when she tried a bp/w. We found a standard plate was too long for her and bought a short plate made by Sub-Gravity....it really helped get her setup comfortably for her body. Our eldest daughter (5ft tall +/-) got a Sub-Gravity short plate a couple of years ago and it helped with the fit of her setup as well (and it freed up her standard size aluminum plate for me to use for travel).
1702188209364.png

-Z

If you're able to rent and try out a few different BCs and/or BPWs, and find out what you like and feels good in the water, that would be ideal. I'm a woman, and dive mostly with women; many of them swear by the Zeagle BCs (esp the Zeagle Zena). What's most important is what feels comfortable and works for you. For instance, I personally dive a jacket BC and really dislike BP/Ws (obviously use them when diving doubles, but in single tank? jacket all the way!). The only way to know is to try them and see what works for you and your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom