BC's With AIR 2 - Any problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, I wouldn't call them dangerous, just "un-ideal". It seems to me those devices are a poor solution to a non-existent "problem". Sure they eliminate a hose (which some people are just obsessed with), but they then require you to use a longer corrugated hose which in my opinion is more obnoxious than having an octo hose. If you're going to use one just be ready for the extra challenge of maintaining your buoyancy while you're sharing your gas.

To me "ideal" means having options, especially in an emergency. In an OOG, using the AIR2 requires you to make a face to face, vertical, direct ascent to the surface. In addition to the donor breathing off the device that controls their buoyancy, having two divers, face to face and vertical, will present extra challenges for controlling buoyancy.

This configuration completely eliminates the option of making a swimming exit as well as a direct ascent where both divers can be face to face and horizontal (much easier to control buoyancy).

While it's not dangerous (if practiced), it is limiting as far as what options you have in an emergency.

I do think it's dangerous to use if you AND your buddy haven't practiced with it. In other words, I definitely don't think someone who dives with "insta buddies" should consider it an option.

To me "ideal" means having options, especially in an emergency. In an OOG, using the AIR2 requires you to make a face to face, vertical, direct ascent to the surface. In addition to the donor breathing off the device that controls their buoyancy, having two divers, face to face and vertical, will present extra challenges for controlling buoyancy.
Pray tell why it requires this? Donor on the AIR-II, receiver on the long hose, swim where you want.

This configuration completely eliminates the option of making a swimming exit as well as a direct ascent where both divers can be face to face and horizontal (much easier to control buoyancy).
Ibid

While it's not dangerous (if practiced), it is limiting as far as what options you have in an emergency.
Ibid.

I do think it's dangerous to use if you AND your buddy haven't practiced with it. In other words, I definitely don't think someone who dives with "insta buddies" should consider it an option.
Have you actually tried it? I think that someone who dives with insta buddies is at greater risk regardless of what they do. But if the insta buddy is on the long hose why is the diver at greater risk if they are sucking off an AIR-II than if they are sucking on any other sort of an auxiliary (except a spare-air)?

I have to disagree on the not being able to make a swimming exit part, that is how we practiced it .. again, you will be mask to mask but you can swim horizontally together

I get a real kick from the DIR types who preach long hose primary / bungied short hose and air2 is bad. I run my primary on a 7 foot hose and use an air2 as backup. The ooa diver gets exactly the same thing from me that he gets from a DIR diver, and I switch to a backup that I am perfectly comfortable with. I don't see where what I switch to matters at all to the ooa.

Pray tell why it requires this? Donor on the AIR-II, receiver on the long hose, swim where you want.

Have you actually tried it? I think that someone who dives with insta buddies is at greater risk regardless of what they do. But if the insta buddy is on the long hose why is the diver at greater risk if they are sucking off an AIR-II than if they are sucking on any other sort of an auxiliary (except a spare-air)?

You're correct regarding the longhose. I was referring to a standard configuration of a shorter primary hose and an AIR2.

Have I actually tried it? Yes, I started off with an AIR2, so did my wife. I hated it because of the limitations it presented (again, this was a standard configuration, no longhose). I moved to the standard octo setup after that (which I feel is much better than the standard AIR2 configuration), before moving to the longhose.

You're right, anyone who dives with an insta-buddy is at a greater risk. So why make it even worse by limiting your options? The standard AIR2 configuration limits your options. Even an AIR2 with a longhose (which is much better than just the standard configuration, IMO) still presents unnecessary taskloading by forcing the donor to use the same device he's breathing from to control his buoyancy as well.

I get a real kick from the DIR types who preach long hose primary / bungied short hose and air2 is bad. I run my primary on a 7 foot hose and use an air2 as backup. The ooa diver gets exactly the same thing from me that he gets from a DIR diver, and I switch to a backup that I am perfectly comfortable with. I don't see where what I switch to matters at all to the ooa.
Yup. In point of fact I don't see why it matters what the donor uses or where he or she chooses to keep it. What matters is what is donated ... that needs to be standard (I favor standardizing on a 5 to 7 foot hose, depending on rig choice) and handled in a standard fashion (pass off the primary). After that ... ain't nobody's business but my own.
You're correct regarding the longhose. I was referring to a standard configuration of a shorter primary hose and an AIR2.
I was not aware that had been specified.

Have I actually tried it? Yes, I started off with an AIR2, so did my wife. I hated it because of the limitations it presented (again, this was a standard configuration, no longhose). I moved to the standard octo setup after that (which I feel is much better than the standard AIR2 configuration), before moving to the longhose.
But you never tried the arrangement that we are recommending here.

You're right, anyone who dives with an insta-buddy is at a greater risk. So why make it even worse by limiting your options? The standard AIR2 configuration limits your options. Even an AIR2 with a longhose (which is much better than just the standard configuration, IMO) still presents unnecessary taskloading by forcing the donor to use the same device he's breathing from to control his buoyancy as well.
I find it to be no more task load at all. There's a button to add buoyancy and a pull dump at the left rear to reduce buoyancy. The only thing that is at all "restricted" is the PADI thing of, "put your inflator over your head and push the button." which is something I almost never do and which is something I would not expect a horizontally trimmed out DIR diver to be caught dead doing.

I've said nothing about the longhose or bungied backup in any post until I responded to Thal.

I've even stressed that one can become proficient with an AIR2, but I also think it presents some very important challenges that the OP wasn't aware of, hence his reason for asking.

While I think that having a longhose and an AIR2 is better than the standard AIR2 configuration, it does present an added degree of taskloading on the donor when he should be focused on the OOG diver.

I have to disagree on the not being able to make a swimming exit part, that is how we practiced it .. again, you will be mask to mask but you can swim horizontally together

But if you can swim side by side, instead of mask to mask, why not have that option?

... While I think that having a longhose and an AIR2 is better than the standard AIR2 configuration, it does present an added degree of taskloading on the donor when he should be focused on the OOG diver.
Once again ... please explain how it "presents an added degree of task loading." I'm not trying to be difficult, hell ... consider this an invite to come out to Hawaii and show me how it's more difficult. I'm really trying to pin down a consensus answer here.

BTW: I really like your Frogkickdiving site.

I dove Air2 and stock 2nd hose for 20+ years with out ANY problems.
If you like it get it and get used to using it.

Not everyone needs an overhead rig but he did ask what you like/don't about the Air2.

And this DIR thing, I am doing it the way I like so to me thats DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom