BC's With AIR 2 - Any problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not aware that had been specified.

You're right, it hadn't been.

But you never tried the arrangement that we are recommending here.

I'm not sure why that's pertinent. I do know that it's more optimal than the standard AIR2 configuration, but adds a degree of taskloading that the a longhose or standard octo configuration doesn't.

I find it to be no more task load at all. There's a button to add buoyancy and a pull dump at the left rear to reduce buoyancy. The only thing that is at all "restricted" is the PADI thing of, "put your inflator over your head and push the button." which is something I almost never do and which is something I would not expect a horizontally trimmed out DIR diver to be caught dead doing.

First, this has nothing to do with DIR. My only intent was to present the OP with some possible issues or concerns he may not have thought of or addressed.

Second, I'm not DIR.

Third, I use the corrugated hose to dump air about as much as I do the butt dump.

For a diver who is using the standard AIR2 configuration, this needs to be considered, as they probably won't be able to use their butt dump, since they'll probably be vertical.

Once again ... please explain how it "presents an added degree of task loading." I'm not trying to be difficult, hell ... consider this an invite to come out to Hawaii and show me how it's more difficult. I'm really trying to pin down a consensus answer here.

BTW: I really like your Frogkickdiving site.

I'm only trying to say that having the mechanism that primarily controls your buoyancy combined with the mechanism that delivers your air is going to add a degree of task loading to many divers. I agree it less of an issue if it's part of a longhose setup and both divers can stay in trim. It becomes a major issue, IMO, on a standard AIR2 configuration (which I assume the OP was referring to) when the divers will be in a vertical position and the only way they can dump their air is the corrugated hose.

And thanks for the compliment on the website, though it needs to be updated.

Second, I'm not DIR.
I'd say from your avatar that you dive in a fairly squared away fashion, in much the same way that I try to. Let's leave it that neither of us are GUE.:D
Third, I use the corrugated hose to dump air about as much as I do the butt dump.
Ah, the pluses and minus of that is something that it might be fruitful to discuss some time. I only use that when I'm playing "air siphon" to maintain a constant volume in what ever bladder I'm using.
For a diver who is using the standard AIR2 configuration, this needs to be considered, as they probably won't be able to use their butt dump, since they'll probably be vertical.
All I can speak to is what works for me and for divers that I've trained. I can't spend my time considering the interaction of each piece of gear and each methodology with the entire continuum of divers from well trimmed horizontal divers to fin-pivot bottom crawlers. My analysis begins with a competent position in the water and proceeds from there.

So may I fairly summarize as follows?

If you dive a long hose, plan on donating your primary, dive in a horizontal position (by-and-large) and do not use the oral inflator of your buoyancy device for deflation than the question of a standard auxiliary second stage vs. a AIR-II type is really only a matter of personal preference.

Otherwise there may or may not be some increased task loading depending on which (and how many) of the preceding criteria you do not comply with.

My buddy/husband has the exact same set up with an Air-2 that I have, so all of our training since open water (we bought equipment near the end) has been with that setup. No problem with air shared ascents. I usually dump with my right shoulder dump any way, and I have been known to reach across and use my left hand to do it if its more convenient. I generally swim up somewhat negatively. There just aren't enough hands no matter what when you're sharing in an emergency, and if you're sharing to extend someone elses dive, then that's a whole other issue.

On the rare occasion I do dive with someone else, I make sure that they have an air 2 or I make sure they know what it is. I also have a weight harness, not a belt and a Sea Cure mouthpiece that I point out because its different. A dive con in training taught me that by example.

I like my Air-2, I have it serviced like my other reg, and my only complaint was that it was tuned a little too sensitively once and bubbled lightly throughout a couple of dives. Just brought my air consumption closer to my husband's. :D

But if you can swim side by side, instead of mask to mask, why not have that option?
I do, that is why I have a longer hose, I did not like the limitations imposed by a short one, but it's not much of a deal to put an "octo length" hose on your primary, I would think that is available anywhere

ibid = short for ibidem which means "in the same place" so not really sure what you mean by that.

(If you're going to be pedantic, go all the way man!)

:eyebrow:

I'm in the market for a new BC and I've been looking at Scuba Pro brand. I really like the idea of replacing my octo with the Air 2 system.

Does anyone have any reason why this is NOT a good idea?

I just like the idea of streamlining.

Thanks, Beck

You should also consider the Atomic SS1. I owned an Air 2 and replaced it with an Atomic SS1.

The SS1 allows the flexibility of simply unscrewing the unit the the corrugated hose. This feature provides the following benefits:

1. Makes flushing out the BC bladder with fresh water so easy you can do it at the end of every dive day.
  2. Reduces the likelihood that the unit will get damaged in transit.
  3. Makes packing easier since it can be detached from the BC by simply unscrewing it.
I own three of the Atomic SS1 units (wife, daughter and mine). I have had no problems whatsoever with them. My wife and daughter's BCs are ScubaPro LadyHawk BCs and my daughter's regulator is a ScubaPro MK25SA/S600.

Folks...thanks for all the info. I'm starting to get the picture. It presents some challenges that need to be worked out with my buddy - refined.

I hope to try a couple of them out before buying.

Thanks, Beck

If you dive a long hose, plan on donating your primary, dive in a horizontal position (by-and-large) and do not use the oral inflator of your buoyancy device for deflation than the question of a standard auxiliary second stage vs. a AIR-II type is really only a matter of personal preference.

Otherwise there may or may not be some increased task loading depending on which (and how many) of the preceding criteria you do not comply with.

A beautiful and succinct summary.

I started with an Air2; the idea of streamlining and standardizing equipment between me and my husband appealed to both of us. A couple of attempted air-share practices and we went to the bungied backup system. I'm sure both of us could handle the Air2 now if we wanted to -- we are much more solid with buoyancy control under stress than we were then. But the other system works extremely well for us, so there is no incentive to change.

ibid = short for ibidem which means "in the same place" so not really sure what you mean by that.

(If you're going to be pedantic, go all the way man!)

:eyebrow:
Ibid is usually used to refer to a previous reference. In this case it was to refer to a previous comment. I dropped the work "ditto" from my vocabulary when it was claimed by the dishonest and the moronic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom