BC's With AIR 2 - Any problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the market for a new BC and I've been looking at Scuba Pro brand. I really like the idea of replacing my octo with the Air 2 system.

Does anyone have any reason why this is NOT a good idea?

I just like the idea of streamlining.

Thanks, Beck

An Air 2 is like one of those little donut spare tires: It's a great idea, right up until the point you actually need to use it for its intended purpose.

So may I fairly summarize as follows?

If you dive a long hose, plan on donating your primary, dive in a horizontal position (by-and-large) and do not use the oral inflator of your buoyancy device for deflation than the question of a standard auxiliary second stage vs. a AIR-II type is really only a matter of personal preference.

Otherwise there may or may not be some increased task loading depending on which (and how many) of the preceding criteria you do not comply with.

Works for me!

I dropped the word "ditto" from my vocabulary when it was claimed by the dishonest and the moronic.

That'd be commendable (and much less ironic, apparently) if you hadn't replaced it with a word that doesn't mean the same thing.

:D

If you're going to be pedantic, go all the way man!

:eyebrow:

RJP, op. cit., post #26

I'm still using my Airsource (Air2 clone or vice versa) when I am required to use an "integrated" BC (in my case, a Balance). I also have a 40" hose on my primary which means that when I donate, my "buddy" has plenty of room to swim. IF I decide to come up horizontally, I can use my butt dump OR while still breathing on my Airsource, I can just pull on it to release air from the shoulder dump.

The problem about being "face to face" is that people don't change the hose on their primary to one AT LEAST AS LONG as the standard Octo hose.

To the OP -- The Air2 works just fine AS LONG AS you have a reasonably long hose (I think the minimum is 40") on your primary. Don't let the nay-sayers steer your wrong. Oh, and yes, do practice from time to time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom