Best Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just 1 question how do you equalize in the full face mask?
if its a full face mask without a nose piece sticking out how do you do it?
like in this picture:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 613
I've used quite a few of the full-face masks on the market. For recreational diving, I'd recommend the Kirby-Morgan Supermask (M-48). This mask is designed for gas changes, so access to another regulator doesn't pose a problem. It's also compatable with various "pods" which can be changed, should you later want to purchase a rebreather. Coupled with the 10 watt Aquacom transciever, it will give you nice clear communications in any sea conditions (a really nice digital signal with 12 hours of battery life). It also has a voice operated transmitter (VOX).

I equalize my ears just by thinking about it.

But for those times you need to block your nose, this is how.

Thanks Very Much this Video helped me out alot i might get one i might not Not completeley sure yet and i dont have the money for that right now unless i sell some of the stuff im selling on ebay

I am selling 6 ROV plans if anybody would like to buy them

Hard to tell. Because more skill and training is appropriate for using a FFM it can be an apples and oranges comparison to most new recreational divers. Without the skill a FFM can be a major panic inducer in an OOA or barfing situation. The added burden of more cables and housings hanging off of you can also work against you. Some lives may be saved, but other accidents would likely crop up.

Here are some videos that might be useful:
Full Face Mask Training Videos | Ocean Technology Systems

This is not a recommendation for one mask over another, but they do have a nice collection of videos.

Barfing is not fun to deal with on a traditional regulator, either - but I'm happy to say that I've never hurled into a full face mask! I can't imagine that would be a fun experience..and now I will think about that every time I strap one on at the aquarium. Thanks Akimbo! LOL

Didn't they teach you how to handle barfing in a FFM? It is actually easier than in a mouthpiece if done right but can be pretty dangerous if done wrong. Fortunately you probably aren't going to get sea sick in an aquarium unless you put way too much Tabasco on your corn flakes. :wink:

Actually no...they never addressed that. And although we predominantly use them in the aquarium where there is zero chance of being seasick, we also use them for surface supplied open water work like wreck surveys and fish collections. Since that occurs off a boat, anything is possible. Just goes to show that what you don't know can creep up and hurt you. I didn't see it addressed in the videos you linked, either, but I would love to find an explanation of it and forward it to our dive safety officer.

That is very surprising. Learning to deal with an oral-nasal mask full of acidic chunks is as fundamental as OOA, leaking second stages, and gas switching in masks and hats. Were you taught about the higher dead air space and CO2 buildup in masks?

Did you have to take a formal class or was training OJT? Many commercial diving supervisors suspect that CO2 buildup heightens susceptibility to nausea when you are already primed for it by motion, excessive celebration the night before, or atmospheric contaminants.

You should be especially aware of high CO2 symptoms in a mask or hat because of the larger dead air space and you are likely to be working harder on surface supplied diving operations than on Scuba. Breathe deep and purge often.

Back
Top Bottom