Best Hoseless Dive Computer?which One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried the Atom 2, the Suunto D9, The Vytec, VR3 and by far the VT3 beats them all. Multiple gas mixes, easy to read, have not had the sync fail yet.

Setup is a breeze and switching gases is easy. Tends to be a little less conservative that the Suunto computers on tech dives but more conservative on repetative dives.

I'd seriously look at the Uwatec Smart Tec. Leave the watches (D9, ATOM) for topside and get a serious computer with software the makes all others look out dated. Especially Oceanics!

You'll love the added safety of microbubble supression too, plus workload alarms, temp calculations and nitrox up to 100% should you opt for decompression diving later.

All in all. A great choice.

I like the Oceanic VT3 as well. Great computer, easy to read underwater and has many features to keep up with your diving. It's reliable to boot, I've never once lost sync. In my book it's well worth buying.

VR3 or VT3?

VR3 isn't a "hoseless" computer that comes with the transmitter. :wink:

I was looking at the Suunto Vytec DS and the Oceanic VT3 for my computer. I had heard many good things about both from very reliable sources. I decided to go with the Vytec because many of the people I was diving with had one, so I could get help with usability easy. I have had a few synchronization problems, but overall it is a good computer with 3 gas blends available. All 3 can be 21-100% O2. I would say that the D9 appears to be basically the same computer in a smaller factor, and with a digital compass built in.

I don't know anything about the Uwatec Smart Tec, but I've also heard good things about Uwatec's products.

No matter which way you go, if your going AI, I would suggest also to get a backup SPG. That way, you don't HAVE to abort the dive if there is any transmitter issues. You can get a small (2 in.) SPG and mount it almost anywhere out of the way. I have mine on a 22" hose clipped off to a hip D-ring. I only check it about once a dive, just to make sure I can reach if it's needed and to double check my AI.

Hope this helps some.

-Sean

MSilvia:
I'm partial to a Pentium 4 running VPlanner. There's not a hose on it.
:rofl3:

This isn't TDS...

However, I use Vplanner and dive a plan using my VT3. I like the features of the VT3 and no matter how I plan a dive I've got some key benefits.

First and the major reason I got the AI wireless VT3 is....

It records my air pressures automatically, I no longer need to write them down or remember them.

I know, silly reason but it's a reason none the less and I'm sticking with it.

The second reason I got it was I could review the temp of the dive where my older React Pro couldn't, and third I have multiple air mixes I can use.

I've been really happy with my Smart Tec. The VT3 looks like a viable alternative, but I'd have a tough choice to choose between them if I was buying again. The VT3 is a bit cheaper, but the Oceanic software, well, blows.

I like having all info on one screen, too. No switching screens to see stuff: it's all right there.

Edit: I just looked over the VT3 a bit more, and it's still a very nice unit, but I would again choose the SmartTec if I was buying anew. The reason? "24 Dive On-Unit Log Book" One liveaboard trip and that sucker is full. The SmartTec holds 100 dives in memory.

Back
Top Bottom