Best Hybrid BCD’s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mflynn06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Looking to purchase my first BCD and on paper the idea of a hybrid sounds the best. Which do you guys recommend I should check out?

What do you mean by hybrid?

Answer, probably not.

Well from what I’ve read they are the best of both worlds between a jacket and a back inflated.

Aqualung Axiom, Tusa Conquest, Oceanic Atmos, Aqualung Soul, Cressi Patrol, Mares Dragon, Mares Kaila, Tusa Liberator and Hog Pro are some I’ve seen advertised as hybrids.

They have jacket pockets that only get inflated when you inflate it a lot at the surface and then when you descend it acts as a back inflated.

None of them. I was a HOG dealer and never bothered to get one. Get a BPW and be done with it. It'll fit every time because you fit it to you.
Distribute the weight correctly and you'll feel like an F16 in the water instead of a B52.

None of them. I was a HOG dealer and never bothered to get one. Get a BPW and be done with it. It'll fit every time because you fit it to you.
Distribute the weight correctly and you'll feel like an F16 in the water instead of a B52.

I have to admit those look difficult set up with no experience.

I have no experience with the hybrid BCDs. I did use a jacket for my occasional diving (5-10 dives per year) for the first 7 or so years of my diving. Then I made the move to a back inflate.

Currently I have a cressi scorpion back inflate. I’ve had it for the last few years. I’ve been happy with it, but I’ll be the first to admit the available storage on the BCD is scant. If you’re looking for lots of pockets it isn’t the answer. I added a D ring to the bottom of one pocket. I’m hanging a mesh bag with my SMB off the ring for the bottom of my shoulder strap. The PLB canister is on the waist belt. I had a hockey equipment repair guy add grommets on the outside of a pocket for a knife.

But I also like how it dives better than a jacket, so to me it’s all worth while. Getting pushed face down when inflated on the surface has never been an issue.

I have dived an Axiom and it's a decent BCD as far as they go (good stability, comfortable, decent sized pockets). But they do create a noticeable amount of drag compared to a backplate and wing. As others have said, if you're in the market, you'd be better off going that route.

I have to admit those look difficult set up with no experience.
We may be across the country, but I'd be happy to have a video call with you to set yours up if you decide to go that route. I do appreciate that some people want interaction and not just watch a YouTube video, so let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom