Best Hybrid BCD’s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of them. I was a HOG dealer and never bothered to get one. Get a BPW and be done with it. It'll fit every time because you fit it to you.
Distribute the weight correctly and you'll feel like an F16 in the water instead of a B52.

I have dived an Axiom and it's a decent BCD as far as they go (good stability, comfortable, decent sized pockets). But they do create a noticeable amount of drag compared to a backplate and wing. As others have said, if you're in the market, you'd be better off going that route.

So then what about just getting a back inflated bcd vs the bpw?

I use a Scubapro Seahawk 2. It a back inflate BCD but the canvas integrated weight system with pockets make it look a like a jacket style BCD. I believe a Seahawk and Scubapro hydros pro use the same weight pockets and the configuration of the integrated weights are similar. A difference is weight pocket container for the hydros pro are plastic and are harder to put a weight pocket back in when wet than the Seahawks canvas.

The seahawk 2 is a back inflate, and the area that inflates makes a donut around the cylinder. it has two trim weight pockets. I have never used a jacket style BCD so I can't tell you how it compares to a jacket style BCD. The Seahawk is often considered a heavier travel BCD or a lighter non-travel BCD.

I went into a Divers Direct and started putting on every back inflate BCD with trim pockets until I reached the Seahawk. At that point I felt like goldilocks and found just what I was looking for.

If the Divers Direct in Key Largo carries the Seahawk you should check it out.

So if I go with a BP, how the hell do you choose your wing shape and amount of lift?

So if I go with a BP, how the hell do you choose your wing shape and amount of lift?
You can get away with one singe in the 20-30 lb of lift range for a single tank. 40-50 lbs for twins.

EDIT: you also want donut shaped wing for even lift.

Top of the line choice with everything you will need from a BC (with price to match). I own and use one. It replaced a BP/W which I don't use after I started using this Hydros Pro:

Best middle of the road back-inflate BC with enough lift for local as well as travel. It is very light and can be folded into a very small tight package (I use this BC when I travel). It has enough lift for local and travel warm water diving:

For very light travel warm water BC:

Cressi Aquawing, Tusa T-Wing and Dive Rite Hydro Lite. What do you guys think of these? Instead of a beginner taking on setting up a whole bp system from scratch. These look good.

Cressi Aquawing, Tusa T-Wing and Dive Rite Hydro Lite. What do you guys think of these? Instead of a beginner taking on setting up a whole bp system from scratch. These look good.
Why waste the purchase and inevitable 50%+ resale loss if and when you go to resell it?

Well sounds unanimous, I’ll be doing some learning. I appreciate the reply!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom