Best Hybrid BCD’s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll look into that, thank you!
I have the Subgravity 10 lb BP and harness for my rebreather. Great products as well. I think that if you go with BP/W, there are a number of great choices and any of them will give you many, many years of diving enjoyment.

I have a pretty nicely priced new paragon set up for sale in the classifieds as well if you go that route want to save $$

How does this zeagle setup look?

IMO, there's nothing wrong with getting a back inflate BCD, as opposed to making up your BP/W.

Esp if you are diving in Fla waters and similar, where you may not really need the ballast of a BP.

Maybe you want to get a BCD just for ease, and because its all in one. Setting up a BP/W and making it appropriate for you is a chore, but hopefully you have to do it only once.

Just note one of the benefits of a BP/W is if something breaks, you dont need to replace the whole thing.

That being said, I use a BP/W for my local diving.

Edit: Some added context, before my BP/W, I had a cheap back-inflate BCD (bought it for $220 on clearance at Leisurepro). It gave me 15 years of perfectly fine service, and then it started breaking apart. Take that for whatever its worth.

I will also add that Im not someone who demands perfection or has very specific needs (although I prefer having 2 tanks straps, as I've seen too many tanks slipping). Through the years, I've used jacket style BCDs, back-inflate BCDs, BP/Ws, and they've all been fine - no complaints. If I had to dive any of them again, it would be fine.

As a newer diver, I would suggest renting or borrowing a bit prior to purchasing gear. That said if you are set on purchasing a jacket style BCD or BP/W will serve you well. It's probably going to take you a bunch of diving before you begin to figure out what you like (I'm still figuring it out). It's kind of like buying a motorcycle more than likely your first bike is not going to be your forever machine.

If you are not super equipment/tech savvy I would consider purchasing from a place that will support your purchase (i.e. your local dive shop). I personally bought a used BCD after about 25 dives and it did not end up being a great purchase for me and had to replace so be careful with used gear.

Back
Top Bottom