Best place(s) to dive in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, so I got my OW and AOW last summer...and my husband just finished his OW. Last week, we came back from our *first ever* scuba vacation in Turks and Caicos, and the experience was beautiful. Needless to say, plenty of overseas places will eventually be on the list (Red Sea, Bonaire, etc, etc.)

But how about the US? What are the best places in the US to dive, in case we wanted to stay relatively "local"?

Thanks! :D

I would say it really depends on the type of diving you want to do. What is great for 1 diver may or may not be for another. Some like wrecks, some like reefs, some like caves, some just like to get wet. It really depends on the diver & their interests. I personally enjoy the caves of No. FL, but also cheerfully dive the local quarry.

Cool! :D I'm glad you and your husband discovered scuba together!

I recommend you haunt this forum: Dive NY - ScubaBoard

There's a group of very nice people and they dive all the local spots, and make great group trips. Right now, they have Bonaire lined up for 2011!

Look into Dutch Springs - it's cold, though! :)

Congratulations on joining the obsessed.

How local do you wish to stay? Near you are some fantastic wrecks, many of them from WWII. The diving can be challenging, the water is always cold on the bottom so thick wetsuits or drysuits are needed. It won't resemble Turks and Caicos, but there are a lot things to see.

Down the coast a ways, there is similar diving in North Carolina. It is warmer and maybe clearer in summer, but many of the challenges still exist. There are also more tropical fish to see down there, and then there are the sand tiger sharks.

Florida will be familiar to you, warm clear water, corals, and tropical fish. There are also wrecks there.

I won't get into the Gulf, there was spectular diving there, sites like the Flower Gardens, but the oil spill is wreaking havoc.

On the other coast, starting in California, there are spectacular kelp forests that should be a must see for any diver, but again, the water is cold. Farther up there is Washington and the Puget Sound, where you might see the Pacific Giant octopus.

There are thousands of great dive sites I have missed as well. I have not even bothered with some of the great fresh water diving to be had, in the Great Lakes and all other states as well.

Divers from each area can give more information about them, or you can check out the thread "What can you teach me".

Okay, so I got my OW and AOW last summer...and my husband just finished his OW. Last week, we came back from our *first ever* scuba vacation in Turks and Caicos, and the experience was beautiful. Needless to say, plenty of overseas places will eventually be on the list (Red Sea, Bonaire, etc, etc.)
But how about the US? What are the best places in the US to dive, in case we wanted to stay relatively "local"? Thanks! :D

For cold water diving, don't miss the Channel Islands off of Southern California. The diving there is as good as anywhere on earth, and very unique with kelp forests and lots of life. You can visit Catalina Island, or book a trip on one of the dive boats (i.e. Horizon) that plan regular trips.

For tropical diving, Hawaii is a wonderful place to dive, and also has lots of other things to see and do, great restaurants, beautiful beaches, wonderful people.

The answer largely depends on what you want to see. I love the diving here in NC, but it isn't for everyone. The dives are deep, the conditions quite variable, the boat rides long as heck, etc. But there are gobs of sharks here:D

Be very self aware if you come here to dive, the conditions can make it quite challenging at times.

But how about the US? What are the best places in the US to dive, in case we wanted to stay relatively "local"?

Thanks! :D

I've heard Beach 8th Street is nice. I can put you in touch with a local who dives there every now and then. If you just want to get wet and not deal with a boat, there's dutch springs.

All depends upon where you live. I get the impression from your post that you're still seeing things as a vacation diver. To become a true diver, should find somewhere local that you could dive on a regular basis. Then, you look to where you wish to dive on vacation. If you limit your diving to only vacations, you'll not progress much in your skills. (Unless you're one of the idle rich and life's one big vacation.)

Cool! :D I'm glad you and your husband discovered scuba together!

I recommend you haunt this forum: Dive NY - ScubaBoard

There's a group of very nice people and they dive all the local spots, and make great group trips. Right now, they have Bonaire lined up for 2011!

Look into Dutch Springs - it's cold, though! :)

Let's clear things up with Dutch Springs. Over 10 years, I have dived there at least two hundred and fifty times. If you want to test out new gear or get a new cert, it is absolutely wonderful. Lots of platforms, attractions and ropes to guide you to them. Weekends in summer are a flustercuck. Groups of checkout divers stirring up the bottom like a coffee-bean grinder. Cold water, yucky visibility and smelly bathrooms.

If I had to draw up a list of BEST places to dive in the US, DS would not make the top 200. Sites in Florida, California, NC, NJ, would make my top 10. All quarries are relegated to the bottom. Just my 2c.

If you want reef diving, only two places jump to mind for the CONUS to me. Jupiter/West Palm/Boynton Beach area and Key Largo/Marathon area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom