Best place(s) to dive in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to a wonderful sport!

Diving really kind of divides into two types: Warm water and cold water. Warm water diving involves minimal exposure protection and minimal weight, and typically occurs in water that's pretty clear. (I can remember the guys in Australia APOLOGIZING for 40 feet of viz!) It can be fairly easy and not too physically strenuous.

Cold water diving is a different animal. It requires thick exposure protection, which then demands much larger amounts of weight. The exposure protection, whether wet or dry, complicates buoyancy management. The gear is cumbersome and the diving is strenuous, whether you're just trying to maneuver on a boat deck, or whether you are hiking 70+ lbs of stuff across a beach into the water. Cold water viz is often very bad by warm water standards -- summer viz in Puget Sound is often about ten feet, although the California coast seems rarely to get quite that bad.

So why do we dive cold water? Because it's FULL of life! The cold means the water can hold more oxygen, and the green means lots of phytoplankton to serve as food for other species. The density and variety of invertebrates in the Eastern Pacific is amazing. It isn't until I go somewhere tropical that I realize the the "background noise" of anemones, hydroids, sponges, crabs, shrimp, sea cucumbers and the like is largely missing.

So, if you want to stay in the US, I'd highly recommend using your local resources to become a comfortable cold water diver, and then come join us on the West Coast. From San Diego wrecks to Catalina and the Channel Islands and the LA oil rigs, to Monterey's spectacular topography and amazing color, to Puget Sound's benign entries and giant octopuses, to BCs clear, cold water and stunning walls, there is utterly amazing diving to be had.

Dive here in NC and you can have either cold or warm water!!! I'm a www, I'll start diving here once it gets into the 70s.

The best places to dive in the US? Heck, we have the Right and Left Coasts to explore plus the Great Lakes.

Oops, forgot about the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico, although this is an extremely tough destination to get to because of the nasty weather in the Gulf.

It depends on what you like and what temps you are willing to bear. If you are a warm water diver, the following are some of my favs: (1) Reef Diving areas: (a) Key Largo, Fl. Keys, There you have Molasses Reef, French Reef, and some nice shallow diving <50 feet which is perfect for beginner divers. Visibility varies from 30-100 feet on a nice day. (b) Flower Gardens, Gulf of Mexico: This is 100 miles in the Gulf from TX and LA borders. There is one main liveaboard that does this weekend trip leaving on a Friday and generally returning on a Sunday. (Gulf Diving LLC). This is phenomenal diving and some of the best reef diving in the US (I think it's better than anything in FL). Normal sightings include Manta Rays, Hammerheads, Whale Sharks, Tiger Sharks, Silky Sharks. This reef is the northernmost reef in the US tracing from the Yucatan Peninsula. Dive depths in this area are 70+ and it typically is intermediate to advanced diving (c) Jupiter, Fl: Great drift diving in this area, always shark and turtle sightings. Typical sharks include Caribbean Reef sharks, bull sharks, and the occassional tiger and hammerhead shark. This is advanced, deep diving, and great for spearfishing (d) Grouper Bend, Reed in Pompano, Fl. Spur and groove formations similar to Bahamas style diving, depth range 40-80 feet

Wreck Diving: (a) Spiegel Grove, Key Largo, Fl: Advanced wreck dive in 130 feet of water, artifical reef, one of the best in Fl. (B) Duane, Key Largo, Fl: Advanced wreck in 110 feet (c) Vandenberg, Key West, Fl: Advanced dive in 140 feet of water (d) USS Oriskany, Pensacola, Fl, Largest artifical reef in the US. Haven't dove this one, but on my list

NC: You can't ignore NC's history as the Wreck Capital of the World with all the WWII wrecks. I haven't dove it yet, but definitely on my list.

So, it depends on what type of diving you want. Some of the ones I mentioned require more experienced and possibly advanced training, but something to look forward to and work towards. Have fun diving!

I will parrot a bunch of other divers in saying if you want warm clear water...the keys, nice reefs, and challenging wrecks if you desire. North Carolina...I love the diving out of Morehead City, great wrecks, LOTS of sand tiger sharks, and unfortunately, but stll beautiful...lionfish.
Now that being said, if you are prepared for cold water, the great lakes are incredible, the wrecks are well preserved, though with the exception of lake Superior, the shallow wrecks are covered with zebra mussels. I love wreck diving locally on Lake Michigan, and can't wait to dive off of the UP in Lake Superior.

At your experience level, one amazing place I would recommend is Catalina Island, off the coast of Southern California. There's a small town called Avalon on the island, where you can book a hotel, a few dive charters for taking you to some truly fine dive sites around the island, and a dive park within walking distance of town where you can spend the day just stepping off the stairs and exploring the sights. The diving at the park is suitable for a relatively new diver, and quite accessible. Water temps are such that a 7 mm wetsuit is OK, and the warm, sunny weather makes surface intervals pleasant.

What to see ... garibaldis (those cute little orange fish that look like bathtub toys), massive giant sea bass, lots of interesting and colorful nudibranchs, octopus, a few types of rays and sharks, and an interesting mix of what one would normally consider cold-water vs warm water creatures (Sculpins and scorpionfish at the same dive site? Go figure).

Plus, if you're lucky, you'll get to meet Dr. Bill ... he lives there ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let's be real.... anyplace that one can stick their head underwater and breathe is a great place to dive. 80-80 diving is fun, but so is green water diving.

A few summers ago my son and I drove across the country. In planning our trip, we stopped and dove about every other day. We dove a variety of waters including well known dive spots like Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Rosa, New Mexico; and southern Illinois.

Great diving is often just a short drive from wherever you live.

Let's be real.... anyplace that one can stick their head underwater and breathe is a great place to dive. 80-80 diving is fun, but so is green water diving.

A few summers ago my son and I drove across the country. In planning our trip, we stopped and dove about every other day. We dove a variety of waters including well known dive spots like Phoenix, Arizona; Santa Rosa, New Mexico; and southern Illinois.

Great diving is often just a short drive from wherever you live.

Bravo!!!

Well stated indeed. I've hit a lake or two here and there. While they aren't the oceans, they're still fun in their own way.

I'm fairly pleased (read that ecstatic) that we were rated as the #5 location in the article "Top 10 Dive Trips Under $1K" in the May issue of Scuba Diving Magazine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom