Best Place To Get $400 Us Converted To Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall the first one took a little longer to be sure you are real and all. Now mine are approved in literally seconds.

So, Xoom was a total fail for me. I downloaded the Xoom app before we left. I attempted to send myself money on Saturday(5/28) after we arrived. After waiting a day or so for the confirmation email, I called and was told that my pesos would be available on 6/3 -- a little late to be of any use to us. We were leaving on 6/4. I asked that they cancel the transaction, which they did with no push back. I don't know how you would do that 'first' transaction with the long wait time if you plan to be there less than a week. I'm not brave enough to initiate the transaction several days ahead while I'm still in the US -- I'm just not that trusting.

So, Xoom was a total fail for me. I downloaded the Xoom app before we left. I attempted to send myself money on Saturday(5/28) after we arrived. After waiting a day or so for the confirmation email, I called and was told that my pesos would be available on 6/3 -- a little late to be of any use to us. We were leaving on 6/4. I asked that they cancel the transaction, which they did with no push back. I don't know how you would do that 'first' transaction with the long wait time if you plan to be there less than a week. I'm not brave enough to initiate the transaction several days ahead while I'm still in the US -- I'm just not that trusting.

Well, I did say do the first one early. After that you are fine. You don't trust them, they don't trust you for that first one I guess. So I guess the advice would be do the first one a week before you go.

After talking to some local friends while we were down last week, I went to the bank to try to get pesos. I normally just do the change kiosks, but there are only a couple left. I can usually find one no more than .1 or .2 diff from the banks. Anyways... so I ask my friends what I need to do the bank thing. Response, as expected, is money and passport. WELL!! I stand in line for 45 mins (was gonna change 1k) and get too the counter. The teller tells me I need my passport..... AND, a COPY of my passport (which is for the bank). OH... and the bank wouldn't make a copy. 45 min wait for nothing! SO! I did things the old way for the rest of the trip. Just thought I'd share this for anyone thinking of the bank option, so you don't have to go through what I did. Oh.. this was the bank on 5th between Calle 2 and Wet Wendys (on the other side of the street from Wendys)

Lots of ideas in this thread for me to explore though. My bank charges I think $3.00 for transactions. Maybe my cred union is less, or fidelity. Will research it a bit.

Im just going to local bank. Easy peasy.

Yea, that is always easy. The one thing I have always heard about MX banks is wear comfortable shoes.....

I saw someone in a FB Coz group complaining about Xoom not working.

I saw someone in a FB Coz group complaining about Xoom not working.

DD, one person reported an issue. She was a resident of Cozumel. Then a handful of other people said they got their money with out a problem and quickly as usual including at least one after the reported issue. It was blamed on Electra and new people working. (Bank issue, like the one I just quoted....) All I have ever done, was slid my passport in the window and held my phone up to the window to read the confirmation. With my terrible Spanish we don't even talk. I smile, she smiles and hands me a wad of pesos and receipt to sign.

I will tell you DON'T try to change anything with them beyond the regular service. I was shipping money south to buy a car on the island, so I wanted to exceed the monthly limit. I applied and send all the extra stuff they wanted for sending extra. Next thing I know I got denied and the my pal on the island was blocked so I couldn't send him money anymore.

So I called them and asked. The nice fellow said, we never tell you why we denied you. I asked about my buddy who was picking up. He said we never tell you why we block someone, but we ID them by their email and phone, hint hint. So I changed his email and phone and it works fine again.

So basically, the regular service works great once you are set up. And do not ever try to get the limits raised!

No good deed goes unpunished chief, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them follow the directions to get the drinking fountain to turn on.

Yea, that is always easy. The one thing I have always heard about MX banks is wear comfortable shoes.....

I've never been on the island on a pay day, but I have been in Playa on many pay days The lines (of Mexicans) at the ATM's are typically 5 - 20 deep. They've got better things to do than wait in line for an hour plus at the bank.

I've never been on the island on a pay day, but I have been in Playa on many pay days The lines (of Mexicans) at the ATM's are typically 5 - 20 deep. They've got better things to do than wait in line for an hour plus at the bank.

The bank lines inside can be worse. In Mexico lots of bill are paid by going to a bank, paying and bringing back a receipt, including government payments. That makes for lines IN the bank.

We have to go to immigration everytime we fly out because of our resident cards. The tourists who lose their FMM doc (the little paper you have to turn in to get out of MX) also go there and wait in line to get a new FMM to fill out. Then then have to walk next door to the bank, stand in line and pay the immigration fee to replace the doc, then go back get in line at immigration and give the bank receipt to them.

I got a friend to order an AC part for me from Nuevo Leon. She had to stand in line at the bank to pay for it for me, so they would ship it. LOTS more traffic at banks....

They are getting better. They have a machine in Mega now to pay utilities.

The bank lines inside can be worse.

Yes, that was my point, which I didn't make clear ------ the lines are so stupid long, and move so stupid slow inside the banks, that they do their banking at the ATM. They find going inside somewhat less than easy-peasy.

Everyone has a pretty good idea how quickly an ATM line will move. In the bank?? Vegas wouldn't touch those odds with a 10' pole.

Back
Top Bottom