Best Sub 400$ Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes i am very aware of this , but i think there are a few that try few comps welling to help. Also i want to belive most of memebers are honest and only want to help , I know there are pushing and all... But i imagine if i use a comp that i hate ill tell the truth and vice versa

I would sincerely hope so! While I have no experience with other computers, I bought my Suunto Vyper at LP a year and a half ago and I dived 60 times with it. I've never had a problem and while I wasn't planning to dive Nitrox when I bought it, I figured I might as well have the feature. Sure enough, 6 months later I went diving in NC and I was that my computer had nitrox capability.

I did a lot of research before buying it and I have to say that so far I am very happy with it. I also like the fact that I can download my dives onto my Mac, even though I had to spend a little extra money to get the data cable plus buy Mac Divelog. The battery is still full, by the way.

I bought a Gekko a couple months after my Uwatec's battery died. The display is very easy to read and I could hear the 3min stop alarm clearly - it's the only one I set, I don't recall if there are others.

One downside of the Gekko is no backlight. You can however "charge" the display with a light and it will glow for hours. For me that's not an issue as I rarely nightdive. There's also no download capability - at least according to Suunto. An SB member seems to have solved that: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...lyzers/133089-suunto-gekko-dive-download.html

The Nemo Sport does not have user replaceable batteries. The Excel or Wide do. I was interested in it also till I saw that.

Not that it probably matters, but the Mosquito is discontinued. Suunto discontinued

Veo250 is simple, not conservative in its calculations, but conservative in its guideline that it doesn't want you to ascend more than 30ft/min above 60 ft depth and will tell you so with a warning. Easy to read; many features. Similar in design and manufacture to a computer sold under the Aeris brand name (don't remember which one; perhaps others, too).

I would suggest the Diverite Duo or one of its twins from one of the other manufacturers. Great little computer

I second that. Hard to beat the reliability and functions for this price

For reliability, it would be tough (if not impossible) to beat the Suunto Vyper or Gekko.

Depends on who you talk to. I know plenty who are not happy with Suunto at all. And then, ....plenty who are:wink:

Looks like the winner here is the TUSA/DiveRite/Cressi-Sub Archimede II (which are all the same computer with different names)

You can't go wrong with this computer.

let us know what you eventually decide to do.

safe diving!

whats funny is the archimede was my 1st choice then veo100 for the price , veo250 for the backlight... then oceanic geo ......

Are all suunto not user battery changeable ?

anyonw know what the difference between the cressi archimede and the edy beside the size ?

Thanks

Last edited:
The Tusa/etc etc computers also have a back light with the push of a button.

I don't know about the sunntos. I had an older model, a companion - and it had to be sent off for the battery to be changed. Bet most newer models of computers do have U.C. batteries

A new Suunto Cobra(first gen NOT Cobra 2), Just saw a bunch over on ebay NIB for $399.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom