Outgrown current computer, entering DM training - limited budget - Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

My dive profile is changing and I've outgrown my current dive computer, a Cressi Leonardo that I've used on 200 dives.

I like it, but have faced the well known issues with its algorithm / tight NDL doing daytrips in Komodo, where the norm is three 50 minutes no deco dives but, most importantly, with 50 minute surface intervals in between...
It was hell on the first Komodo trip (basically could follow the group's profile normally on the second and third dive), better on the second (anticipated more and managed to avoid going into deco).

The main problem I'm facing now is that I'll be doing my divemaster training in this very same place in a couple of months.

Which means the same 50 minute surface intervals but not just fun diving, and the Leonardo Cressi's going to go nuts on me and/or stress me out. I can't be diving with an algorithm tighter than everyone else in this stiuation where I'm supposed to learn to guide. It's just not going to work.

Another issue is that I'm also training in the French system (FFESSM/CMAS) and they do recreational deco diving - Nothing fancy but the Leonardo's not going to cut it, I'm afraid.

So, I need to get a new comp. But am on a very limited budget, especially this year -
I'm trying to find something better than an entry level comp like mine (ie not a zoop), so I can use it for a while, but can't really put much more than 300 euros in the thing, unfortunately...

My main interests are:

- A good algorithm - ie one that's not too conservative / inaccurate and will give me trouble on a DMT 3 dives a day every day profile - Conservative is good, but it needs to be manageable
- user changeable battery
- nice readable screen (I don't necessarily need to wear it all day)

And price of course.

I don't care much for air integration at this point, but nitrox is certainly a useful feature. I like the idea of keeping the comp on me so I don't lose it (watch style), but it's not an important feature (I also like the good visibility of larger screens). It also makes little sense to buy another entry level comp.

I've been reading up here and elsewhere, and kind of narrowed it down to :

Oceanic Veo 3.0

Oceanic Geo 2.0

Suunto D4i novo

(Mares Smart)

Oceanic seems to have the most appropriate algorithm for my purposes, from what I've read.

Yet they're in quite different price ranges... Second-hand might also be an option of course, but I'm based in Paris, not many offers around.

Another factor I haven't mentioned is that my wife is also my main dive-buddy - She's not doing the DMT with me, so doesn't have the same urgent problem, but does have the dreaded Leonardo Cressi (great comp though, just a clunky algo).

While I could switch back to the Cressi when we're diving together, a milder price comp would mean we could update her's as well in the near future, since we like diving with the same computer to have similar profiles.

Opinions and suggestions are very very welcome!

Thanks a bunch!
ben

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I own the smart. Very nice computer for its pricepoint for beginner like we are.

Drawbacks are that the display is smallishhh and its a tropical unit need an extension strap to wear over a drysuit.

The user manual on the Geo is awful. I had to do the online training video to understand it. But then, I'm new to dive computers. You're not, so maybe it will be different for you.

Hi oppo,

Though the Cressi may be the most conservative of the lot, you may have the same problem with Suunto and Mares, other brands running RGBM decompression algorithms. Maybe a more liberal algorithm would be best for your use

Oceanic computers are dual algotithm and run DSAT and PZ+, your choice for flexibility. The Sherwood Amphos is the same as the Geo 2 but runs DSAT only. It is a little less expensive in the US. All would require purchase of download cable to download your dives

Good luck, Craig

Look at the discontinued Aeris A300. Oceanic shutdown their Aeris brand and folded it back into the main Oceanic label, this was the Aeris equivalent to the Oceanic VEO 3.0 and manufactured by Oceanic's then owned (but since sold to Aqualung) Pelagic Pressure Systems computer manufacturer. They can still be had for $199 (USD) on Amazon. Picked one up a year ago for a friend who works full time as a DM in Cozumel, he likes it and uses it every day.

Look at the discontinued Aeris A300. Oceanic shutdown their Aeris brand and folded it back into the main Oceanic label, this was the Aeris equivalent to the Oceanic VEO 3.0 and manufactured by Oceanic's then owned (but since sold to Aqualung) Pelagic Pressure Systems computer manufacturer. They can still be had for $199 on Amazon. Picked one up a year ago for a friend who works full time as a DM in Cozumel, he likes it and uses it every day.

Thanks @gopbroek, I forgot to mention this option, it's a very good price. Would still need the download cable, if desired. I would confirm the 2 year warranty. Supplied by Prime Scuba, appears to have very good Amazon feedback. I've not shipped internationally with Amazon but I hear it works well and they take care of customs. Of course, this would add somewhat to the price.

Hello everyone. This is great info, thanks a lot! Looks like Oceanic is probably the way to go then. I didn't know about the Aeris comp, I'll look into it as well

ben

That Aeris 300 for $199 is a fantastic deal. And it has the liberal DSAT algorithm which will help your situation. I wouldn't bother buying the download cable. And if you ever end up Tec diving, you can use it in gauge mode.

Thanks @gopbroek, Would still need the download cable, if desired. I would confirm the 2 year warranty. Supplied by Prime Scuba, appears to have very good Amazon feedback.
I inquired last year and was told Oceanic will still honor an Aeris warranty and I just checked the Aeris website, with a 2016 copyright stamp on the page:
“The merger would provide a very positive experience for the combined customer base of the two companies,” said Mike Hollis, CEO of American Underwater Products. “It will deliver a broader product offering and greater levels of service and support to the worldwide diving industry.”

Effective September 1st, 2014, AERIS customer service responsibilities and warranties will be accepted by Oceanic.

As for the cable, I agree it is overpriced:mad:, but I did verify it uses the same cable as my VEO 3.0

Very nice, the Aeris 300 - just checking, it can be fully switched to metric, right?

Problem is with international shipping + import duties I'm not much cheaper than the Geo 2.0, (like roughly $50 less) which I can find news for just under 300 euros in these parts.

Has anyone got any feedback on the Oceanic Geo 2.0, apart from its horrible user manual? It looks like a solid DC and also has the Pelagic DSAT or Pelagic Z+ algorithm. It's a step up from the Veo/Aeris 300, from what i understood, but I'm not even sure of that.

Having access to the DSAT algo. seems like the way to go, so that kind of narrows it down to Aeris300 or Veo (if I can get it for cheaper), which are pretty much the same thing, or the Geo 2.0 I guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom