Best Sub 400$ Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are all suunto not user battery changeable ?

The answer is no. For example, the user can change the battery on the Vyper, the computer I suggested. I am not sure how difficult it is to do since I have yet to change it. From what I hear, the battery can last for a very long time. I took the Rescue course this past winter in Bonaire and my instructor also had a Vyper. He told me he had yet to change the battery even though he had been diving with it every day for more than two years.

The answer is no. For example, the user can change the battery on the Vyper, the computer I suggested. I am not sure how difficult it is to do since I have yet to change it. From what I hear, the battery can last for a very long time. I took the Rescue course this past winter in Bonaire and my instructor also had a Vyper. He told me he had yet to change the battery even though he had been diving with it every day for more than two years.

Changing the Vyper/Gekko battery is simplicity itself. Follow the instructions in the manual. But, be very sure that there is no debris (salt, hair, etc) either in the seating grooves or on the o-ring itself. I check with a magnifier. The batteries last a long time. Our Vyper went 510 dives (I do not use the backlight) before it dropped from 4 bars to 3, and I changed it, since batteries are cheap. WalMart about $3. Our older Gekko has 512 dives and is still showing 4 bars. Backlights use a lot of power, and life will be shorter.

The cobra really looks like a nice unit , i really like the way it display and the way its built .

but i am also really affraid of the sensor faillure / conservatism ... I am still hesitating

i am not even sure if i want AI or not.

I've heard lots of good things about Suunto products. The Gekko looks like a nice starter computer, but the Vyper looks even better if you can forgive the price difference. I found the Vyper at leisurepro.com for $359, but apparantly you can't get a warranty from Suunto if you order it there. Since the dive computer is a big investment for me, I'd probably want some sort of warranty??? Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding an inexpensive Vyper from a Suunto approved dealer, or give me advice about this? Thank you! -total nube

Buying one from an authorized retailer is usually your best bet to keep manufacturers warranty in tact.

I strongly caution you on buying a computer off Ebay or other place to get a used computer because it's 'cheap', you may be buying someone else's junk - I can go back and find it but someone here bought a Suunto of Ebay and it turned out to be defective. They could not get their $$ back. If you know someone who is selling one who offers a money back if it's not what they promised or let's you test dive it first, then maybe, otherwise forget used...

I have an old Suunto companion that still 'works'. It reads 20' shallow. If I were a dishonest person I might sell it, but since I'm not it will stay put in my closet.

Safe diving

I bought two Vypers from LP and I have not had any issues with them. LP will match Suunto's warranty.

I was very happy with my Suunto Mosquito so I bought a Suunto Vyper 2. I recommended a friend buy a Gekko. As far as my experience, Suunto makes good products.

With regard to the Gekko's lack of backlight, I wish my Vyper 2 was glow in the dark like the Gekko. I find it a lot easier to briefly shine a dive light on a computer face than to push a little button...

With regard to the question about audible alarms, why??? How out of control or unaware are you that you need a computer to tell you to cut it out??? I owned an Uwatec SmartCom for a while. I found it absolutely the most annoying computer in the world. You could make the ascent alarm go off just buy raising it to your face to look at, but your couldn't turn off the alarms. I was thankful when it broke and got replaced with a brand new unit by Uwatec so I could sell it and buy the Vyper 2 (which allows me to turn off all audible alarms).

My cave instructor had a Cressi Archimedes II. What a bargain for a 2-gas computer!

Bob

whats funny is the archimede was my 1st choice then veo100 for the price , veo250 for the backlight... then oceanic geo ......

Are all suunto not user battery changeable ?

anyonw know what the difference between the cressi archimede and the edy beside the size ?

Thanks

Get the Zeagle N2ition. It's the same computer as the Cressi, but cheaper and has a longer warranty.

Zeagle N2ition Nitrox Computer, Computers: Nitrox, Zeagle, Zeagle N2ition Nitrox Computer

With Scubatoys 10% off for Scubaboard members makes it $323.19.

Suunto, Oceanic, etc are nice computers, but the DiveRite/Cressi/Tusa/Zeagle computer is imo the best computer for the money. The data is organized to be easily read during a dive, the digits are large enough to actually read underwater, you can bungee mount it, etc. I've had the first version of the Cressi computer for four years and it's going strong.

I currently dive with an AERIS Atmos AI air integrated computer/compass. I bought it for $465.00 so it doesn't qualify. I passed along my OCEANIC Data Max Sport to my daughter. She has been diving with it for three years now. It is probably the most intuitive computer ever made-large nitrogen bar graph (entire perimiter of computer) with easy to understand instructions for emergency deco stops. No backlight, no nitrox, no audible alarms but a great 1st computer. Extremely reliable, user replacable battery. She is getting an Aeris Manta for her birthday (8/28/08). Send me a private message and the Data Max is yours for $50.00. Includes wrist mount and hose mount.

Back
Top Bottom