Best way to work on trim - feet sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you using a crotch strap? The Stiletto is a great back inflate and it really dives differently with a crotch strap.

no crotch strap on stiletto. but had one with the BP/W of course

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 10:33 PM ----------

There ARE some gear configurations you just can't balance. If you're diving with little or no exposure protection and therefore require little or no weight, you have very little to play with. Heavy rubber fins are problematic with that kind of setup, which is why people who dive very warm water tend to gravitate toward other paddle fins, like OMS Slipstreams or Dive Rite EXPs, that are not as negative.

On the other hand, if you need weight, you can move it around; you may lose the ability to ditch any or all of it, though, and you have to decide if you are comfortable with that.

Thanks.. yes i normally dive warm water with no skin, or maybe shorty.. still used weight.. this particular recent instance, i was in fresh water with 5mm

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Of course, Rob, you know the easiest way to achieve rock solid indisplaceable perfect trim... just sidemount a couple of 104's!
:)
Rick

I did try the Dive Rite Nomad side mount with these fins as well.. same problem

---------- Post added November 19th, 2013 at 10:44 PM ----------

The easiest, although probably not the cheapest, solution is to get lighter fins. If you like the F1 shape you should try OMS Slipstreams. If you just want lighter fins that will give you power in your kicks then I recommend the SEAC GP100 4x4s.

I pretty much just bought the F1 fins b/c i wanted a new pair of fins that will grow as i get into tech diving. i was diving with some Tusa Imprex average fins. So i researched Slipstream, Scuba Pro Jet, and F1.. Seemed from everyone Jet and F1 was leaders, but majority of people preferred F1 b/c they were a little less stiff than Jet. And i like it came with spring straps. Slipstream seem to be 3rd or 4th place based on all the reviews and boards I have been reading.

I just won a pair of new Cressi Frog Plus fins, i was gonna sell them, but may try them out since they are probably lighter. I wonder if I should return the F1 for something lighter

I wonder if I should return the F1 for something lighter

I have the exact same dilemma. I really love the fit, comfort and flutter/dolphin kick power of the F1. Bought mine for the same reason, too: preparing for further study in tech diving.

However, on balance, I've decided the UTD Neutral Fins will give me more of what I need moving forward. The trim/buoyancy part is most important to me, but other considerations are that they are shorter and more precise than F1s, and they frog kick MUCH better than the F1s, especially helicopter and back-kicks.

Side note: anyone with light feet or a drysuit, who wants to buy my old F1s (XXL) can PM me...

no crotch strap on stiletto. but had one with the BP/W of course
You can always put one on. I did on mine. You'll find that your BCD will sit lower on your torso, so the tank can move forward. You'll effectively move the air cell towards your feet a bit which will really, really help.

I just won a pair of new Cressi Frog Plus fins, i was gonna sell them, but may try them out since they are probably lighter. I wonder if I should return the F1 for something lighter
I tried going to a lighter fin and it just didn't work out. The fit and comfort of the Batfin (Hollis F1) is just awesome.

I have the exact same dilemma. I really love the fit, comfort and flutter/dolphin kick power of the F1. Bought mine for the same reason, too: preparing for further study in tech diving.

However, on balance, I've decided the UTD Neutral Fins will give me more of what I need moving forward. The trim/buoyancy part is most important to me, but other considerations are that they are shorter and more precise than F1s, and they frog kick MUCH better than the F1s, especially helicopter and back-kicks.

Side note: anyone with light feet or a drysuit, who wants to buy my old F1s (XXL) can PM me...

I swapped with a student recently who had F1s because he was too foot heavy. I put him in my SEAC GP100s and it immediately fixed his trim issue. I haven't had a set of Jets on my feet in several years. I couldn't believe how the F1s felt. It felt like I was diving with a pair of bricks on my feet. I was definitely happy to be back in my lighter fins the next day!

...I did try the Dive Rite Nomad side mount with these fins as well.. same problem...
with steel tanks? if so, moving them just slightly forward will raise the feet, no matter what kind of fins are worn.
Promise!
If AL tanks, switch to steel... ditch the weight...
:)
Rick

Do you know if the UTD Neutral fins will fit ladies size 5 feet? I am having the same issues of struggling to keep in trim with my medium jetfins, which fit but are heavy for me. I already have tank trim weights but they do not entirely solve the problem without a lot of short-lived effort.

According to the size chart, it seems they will not fit but it seems confusing, and they say they fit everyone.

If they will fit, what's a good online shop that sells them? There are no UTD dealers in Toronto.

Thanks! :)

Do you know if the UTD Neutral fins will fit ladies size 5 feet?

Try contacting them directly at 855-348-3883. They should be able to give you advice about the fin size + heel strap length that would fit best. My guess is their "medium" might be similarly sized to Jet Fin mediums, but they could tell you for sure.

If they will fit, what's a good online shop that sells them? There are no UTD dealers in Toronto.

You can actually order direct from UTD:

UTD Online Store - +1 855 DIVEUTD (348-3883) or +1 760 585-9676 - sales@utdequipment.com

The F2s are lighter than F1s but still heavier than other great fins that are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom