Best wrist mounted, air integrated, hoseless dive computer in the ~$600 price range?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a VT4 that I have been diving for a year. I had a VT3 before and upgraded when my wife and parents bought me the VT4 for my 40th birthday. I liked the VT4 so much that I upgraded my wife to the VT4 last week. Call Leisurepro and they will make you a good deal for the whole package; computer, transmitter, and data cable.

The suunto helo2 is trimix compatible and wireless and it's a watch. It comes with a USB interface cable to. I don't know how much it is though.

---------- Post Merged at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

The suunto helo2 is trimix compatible and wireless and it's a watch. It comes with a USB interface cable to. I don't know how much it is though.

Vyper Air was not on my radar yet but is now. You feel this is better than the oceanic VT4 mainly because of the compass or for other reasons? Anybody vote for VT4? Thanks.

Yes because of the compass and you can play your dive back as a graph on the screen. After 2 year behind the vyper air the vt4 is a poor copy.

---------- Post Merged at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Looks great but it's $1150 which is too rich for me. Anyway as I'm learning more I'm hearing that tech stuff is more often done with custom tables on laptop and a computer in gauge mode - right?

Anyway as I'm learning more I'm hearing that tech stuff is more often done with custom tables on laptop and a computer in gauge mode - right?

This "tech stuff" is either done with custom tables and TWO bottom timers,or a real tech computer and and bottom timer as backup,or maybe 2 real tech computers.

The only "tech" computers worth considering IMHO are the Shearwater Predator and the Liquivision X-1.

Air integration would be laughable on a significant technical dive. Last dive I did involved 5 tanks. You going to put a transmitter on every one?

Buy something with a gauge mode. If you ever start to do Trimix dives use that as the backup with tables and buy a "tech" computer if you want.

Looks great but it's $1150 which is too rich for me. Anyway as I'm learning more I'm hearing that tech stuff is more often done with custom tables on laptop and a computer in gauge mode - right?

That cost is just a 'drop-in-the-ocean' when it comes to equipping and training yourself for technical diving. Just a heads-up :wink:

Given your current experience, and the probable minimum timescale until you are ready to even consider technical training, it is certainly not worth investing in a tech-capable mixed gas computer at the moment. There will undoubtedly be newer, more modern, options on the market when that time finally comes along. Having a rec computer, that works well in gauge mode, is the best forward planning you can achieve.

I've been tech diving for over a decade... and teaching tech for nearly half that time. I've never used a tech computer.

That cost is just a 'drop-in-the-ocean' when it comes to equipping and training yourself for technical diving. Just a heads-up :wink:

Given your current experience, and the probable minimum timescale until you are ready to even consider technical training, it is certainly not worth investing in a tech-capable mixed gas computer at the moment. There will undoubtedly be newer, more modern, options on the market when that time finally comes along. Having a rec computer, that works well in gauge mode, is the best forward planning you can achieve.

I've been tech diving for over a decade... and teaching tech for nearly half that time. I've never used a tech computer.

Sounds like solid advice and that's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. Thanks.

Any help? I'm confused. The more I look the more options I find.

Must have features:
Compass
Data download
Nitrox support
Wireless air integration
Wrist mounted

I have read good things about the VT 4.0 (or is it 4.1 now?) and Uwatec products. I have also read good reviews of Aeris Epic. I don't much care if it's watch sized or larger. More important to me is cost and features. I could stretch the budget a little more if there is a good reason to. I would like it if this computer would support trimix as I'd like to try some tec diving courses at some point but i suppose I wouldn't find that support along with the other features I want in a <$1,000 computer but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I did read an old thread here where someone opined that the "Oceanic software blows" and it was only rebutted by an employee of Oceanic. Does anyone else think the software is still bad or has this been improved and updated in the last 5 years to address whatever the complaints were about the software?

My dive center is recommending the Suunto D4i which also looks nice. I noticed that it only goes to 50% oxygen mix instead of 100% like many others. I'm not sure if that's an issue in practice or not (do people commonly use more than 50%?). Why would they limit it if it's obviously easy for other manuafcturers to go to 100%?

G'day, mate!

I think you wouldn't find dive computer with all your MUSTs and transmitter for ~ USD600. Oceanic VT4.1 is a good instrument, but with transmitter it costs more than USD1000. If you definitely want to have wireless working+integrated compass - think of investing more or lower your requirements! Suunto D4i is perfect for recreational divers and beginners, LeisurePro has it for USD550, but on top of that you need to put USD350 for transmitter, I reckon.

Good luck with your quest!

Hi,
you might want to use the Dive Computers Research Tool to compare various models side-by-side.

Additionally we have lots of online tutorials and simulators that show model-specific dive computers in action.

Whatever model you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to use it.

Alberto (aka eDiving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom