Big Bay Point Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cabin cruiser everyone is refering to is the Neilson. Yes it was sunk by a dive club in the 70"s and its in 80 feet of dark,cold water.I have the GPS coordinates if anyones interested you can send me a PM.

I would love the GPS coordinates for that wreck!
I am sorry but I am new and do not know how to PM you personally.
I dont suppose there is a float attached to the Neilson or any other visible signs of it.

Thanks

Craig

Why anyone would want to dive the Morrison is beyond me. It's murky and not much to see. Also, dive it when anyone else is there and you'll just be in a huge silt cloud - it's a favourate of people who seem to have no concept of boyancy control!

We were talking to a local dive shop operator and the incidents of people reporting ear infections are on the rise. Just before you go down, take a look on the shore- where that flame is burning - that's Barrie's sueage treatment plant!

Now, if you still want to go down, just make sure your careful - that little marker buoy is a favourate race around point for local sea doers that have no clue what a diver down flag means.

All in all - a lot of risk for almost nothing to see. I'm from Barrie too - if you have boat access, go out to Thorah Island on the East side of the lake. You can dive in 20 - 30ft of crystal clear water all around the island in complete peace. Not much to see - some fish - some rocks - some stuff dumped over board by careless boaters - but really nice diving conditions with a soft sandy bottom that won't stir up.

As for the cabin cruiser at BB Point - stay away from it unless you are a very experienced diver. It is in very tough conditions and for experienced divers only.

Hello

The cabin cruiser is not sunk at Big Bay point it is located about one mile out from Centenial beach.

D M I

Actually - there are 2 different cabin cruisers being discussed here.

1. A Cabin cruiser that was sunk intentially as a dive site - in Kempenfelt bay about 1 mile off Centenial Beach. It is the Neilson - sunk intentially in the 70's in about 80 ft of water.

2. A Cabin Cruiser (someone else said 36ft Chriscraft), that caught fire and sunk at Big Bay Point. It sits off the end of the dock at Big Bay Point in over 100ft of water and is very hard to find.

And of course - the Morrison which sits just of Centenial Beach.

Hopefully - that clears it up!

Is the Morrison really that bad?!?!?
I was thinking of going up there in a couple of weeks once I get my equipment to check it out... maybe I'll just goto Kirkfield quarry instead...

When you live in GTA and only have a late aft or an evening to spare - Morrison is a great dive, especially in the off season, when the boats are not yet in the water or already out

It is an easy shore access, so we use it to test new gear, etc

Plus i love the nightlife on that wreck

Morrison macro

Unfortunately, it seems that the middle of the summer is not the best time to dive it - the beach has been closed twice this season, the latest closure was yesterday and is still on

beach closures

Nice pictures of fauna off the Morrison, vlada! You make that wreck look pretty good!! Also thank you for the beach closure info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom