Big Bay Point Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yo!

I've hit the wreck people have talked about at Big bay, Its way out in the channel and not just off the dock. Many times we have cruised the bottom on our MK 8 scooters with coms and came across her only once and she's not that big of a wreck to brag about or to search for. Its cold and dark and you need to be an experienced teck diver who is comfortable diving in cold and zero vis water. There's also an airplane we once air bagged and lifted to a more suitable location for divers. I no longer have the GPS for the plane it was some time ago. Be careful in deeper water in lake simcoe, it has taken divers to there graves in the past. Think, Prepare, and follow your plan.

Safe diving

D M I

Depends what you call bad. If you like lots of boats around while your in shallow water and you like dark and murky - then its great. I think vlada hit the nail on the head by refering to it as a great dive when the boats are not in the water. If you are familiar with Centenial Beach in Barrie - you know you are really running a risk when you come up - TONS of boat traffic - and don't even get me started on Sea Doos racing around markers. Always safe if you enter and exit at the shore - BUT - if you had to come up suddenly due to an emergency - it could be VERY VERY risky!

Plus - it's no coincidence that the beach is closed and the sewage plant is right there.

I personally can't understand why anyone would want to dive there. But - if you call a crappy dive better than no dive - then off you go. I've never been to Kirkfield - but it has to be better.

boney once bubbled...
Is the Morrison really that bad?!?!?
I was thinking of going up there in a couple of weeks once I get my equipment to check it out... maybe I'll just goto Kirkfield quarry instead...

Hello

I do agree with you that Centennial beach can be a hazard during the summer months. Those dam ski doers stole my dive flag the first time I ever dove the Morrison. I thought they were teaching those kids about divers flags in there safe boating course. I've ran across more ignorant adult boaters than kids I must say, I had one boater cut and throw the divers flag up on the dock because he said it was in his way. We had a few serious words.

D M I

Hello.

It is the Neilson that I am interested in I understand it is about 1 mile off the beach but that still leaves a lot of water to search through.
Is there a bouy or any other type of marking for this wreck. Maybe some GPS or some other referance I could use to find this baby.
Dark cold water is part and parcel of diving in Ontario.
I would not have it any other way.

Craig

p.s. if I caught someone cutting my dive flag I dont think too many words would be spoken, just a lot of gurgling on the vandels part.

Hi all.
Yes the Neilson was sunk in the summer of 1995 about 1km off of Centenial beach. It's in about 75' of dark water and you pass two therm's getting to it.
It was named after one of our store Instructors "Wendy Neilson" who arranged the sourcing, cleaning and transportation of the "Neilson" to its current resting location. It is definitely and Advance dive because of the depths, cold, silting conditions, but it is worth seeing.
Wendy and her crew worked two months on cleaning the boat and was able to get it carried down to the dock. It was than being towed out to it's future resting site when it started to take on water and it actually sank before it got out to where we actually wanted it. Oh well. There is a marker bottle normally tied to it, but it usually gets run over and sinks.
Hope this fills in most of your questions about the "Neilson".
Feel free to reply to this thread with more questions. If I have the answers, I'll pass them along.
Save diving all.
bhw

:hi:
bhw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom