Big Bay Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can say that the way that Innisfil has approached this has been nothing short of stupid. I moved my brother in law to Innisfil (#10 sideroad about 300 meters from the water) this weekend and there is absolutely no place to park unless you are a resident (I had to park outside of the driveway so I took my hit and got a ticket). Anyone that claims this is because too many non-residents showed up and did not support the local economy is just plain stupid. All the town is doing is pushing away anybody that is not a resident which makes it impossible for anybody to support the economy. I will go out of my way now to stay away from the area and if in the area, I will not support it at all if possible. They are just a bunch of knee-jerk idiots on town council IMO.

People like Cameron are not trying to solve the problem. They are just trying to keep every outsider outside and nothing more.

For the record, I support Cameron's anger at dumbasses leaving garbage around. I disagree with his approach on here and to the town's approach but many of the issues I do think need to be addressed. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving garbage around. Even if there is no garbage can, throw it on your floor and stop at a gas station or get a coffee and use their garbage can.

---------- Post added ----------

So why would you scuba dive from the dock anyways? :) there is a nice beach entry there

The one time I dived there I used the beach and never touched the dock. It went smooth enough. I do however accept that the same may not be true for other docks......and DT was hoping it did not spill further to all areas of Ontario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha!... So someone who has dived there ONCE and moved his brother into town last week is going to educate me on the problems facing our township?...

Come down to Innisfil beach park on a long weekend and tell me the town doesn't have problems with out of Towners. We're a small town that struggles to support the throngs of people that come to use our facilities and leave nothing but garbage. The township is small and I for one applaud the council for supporting the RESIDENT while still making the area accessible.

I'm not an active instructor. I did my instructor course in 03 just to do it though my resume has no bearing on this thread. I dive Toby and Brockville mostly. I support their economy when I'm there, encourage people to travel to these destinations to dive and usually buy stuff at the local dive shop. BBP is for training dives with my boy and to sort out gear. Why don't shops do the same with training? Go to a developed scuba town that can use the money AND support the volume of people.... Oh that's right, dive shops appeal to the lowest common denominator and it would be hard to make a profit running 1.99 everyone is a diver courses. They might have to have some integrity and standards.

So you an get all upset about my opinions but you would be surprised to see just how many experienced divers are incensed about how shops and the scuba "industry" behaves in Ontario.

Cam

And in case your wondering, my boy learned to dive in Kingston where we made a trip out of it :)

I dive Toby and Brockville mostly. I support their economy when I'm there, encourage people to travel to these destinations to dive and usually buy stuff at the local dive shop.

Hmm, so you support a closed area for your local diving but have no problems diving in someone else's back yard. Whether you spend money in that area has no impact on the fact that you support private, local-only-access to dive sites in YOUR area, but have no problem exploiting areas outside YOUR area.

Typical. Very typical of people like you...

Hmm, so you support a closed area for your local diving but have no problems diving in someone else's back yard. Whether you spend money in that area has no impact on the fact that you support private, local-only-access to dive sites in YOUR area, but have no problem exploiting areas outside YOUR area.

Typical. Very typical of people like you...

Tobermory is a national park! You pay an entrance fee. The park is regulated and there is a permit system in place... Not a back alley dirt road leading to a dock!

There is a similar launch point in brockville that you can get to the daryaw from. Technically it's public land but I don't abuse the location, and have had a conversation with the adjacent land owner to keep thing smooth. So far so good 5 years later. Things might change if 30 people show up Every weekend though. Then WE as the diving public might be ABUSING the public land. Just cause its public doesn't mean everyone under the sun can be there at the same time.

Non of this would have happened if the shops weren't abusive of the site. If you want the real culprit look at your bastions of scuba education... The local dive shops.

Cam

Ha!... So someone who has dived there ONCE and moved his brother into town last week is going to educate me on the problems facing our township?..

Well if you guys would get your head out of your butts and listen to the people then maybe the local economy might be in better shape. IJS.

Come down to Innisfil beach park on a long weekend and tell me the town doesn't have problems with out of Towners. We're a small town that struggles to support the throngs of people that come to use our facilities and leave nothing but garbage.

Wow....you guys are unique. Sauble Beach, Wasaga Beach and a hundred other towns with beaches across Ontario don't go through the same thing. It is only you guys. Hell, every city has the same problem. Do you think that every Toronto resident is guaranteed a prime parking spot when they go downtown to the theatre? And look at the garbage around TO. The reality is that the town could have been intelligent but chose this avenue which simply removes any outsider income altogether. :thumb: Good plan.

The township is small and I for one applaud the council for supporting the RESIDENT while still making the area accessible.

I applaud them as well but they could have done the same thing without alienating any human that does not pay taxes there. YOu and others bitch about people coming in and not supporting the local economy.....all they did was remove BOTH those that were supporting it when they came in and dove and those that did not.

I dive Toby and Brockville mostly. I support their economy when I'm there, encourage people to travel to these destinations to dive and usually buy stuff at the local dive shop.

I do the same thing. I have purchased gear, food, clothing, drinks.....many things in towns like Wiarton, Toronto, Oakville, Kingston, Barrie.......Innisfil lost out.

BBP is for training dives with my boy and to sort out gear. Why don't shops do the same with training? Go to a developed scuba town that can use the money AND support the volume of people....

Make up your mind. If you want people to spend money in your community then you need to allow them in. You complain about nobody supporting the local economy and here you say you do not need the money.

Oh that's right, dive shops appeal to the lowest common denominator and it would be hard to make a profit running 1.99 everyone is a diver courses. They might have to have some integrity and standards..

Now this is about training standards??? You are, as you say, in a position to affect a change by doing a better job at training but you selfishly just sit back and complain rather than doing anything about it. Nice.

So you an get all upset about my opinions but you would be surprised to see just how many experienced divers are incensed about how shops and the scuba "industry" behaves in Ontario.

You now speak for the rest of the world and how they feel about Ontario? Give me a break.

Just for kicks I checked out the town's web pages. They have links for Residents, Business, Services and Town Hall. NOTHING for visitors. Town of Innisfil | www.innisfil.ca

Checked Barrie City of Barrie "Arts, Culture & Tourism" Georgina Corporation of the Town of Georgina Official Website and there's "Tourism" Newmarket Home - Town of Newmarket Oh, they've 'hidden' Tourism under Lifestyle, Orillia Home - City of Orillia There it is on the main page again Visit Orillia

I think that about sums up the whole attitude in Innisfil. If you don't live here, stay home and that's not just diving, that's everyone. That's OK, lots of other places I like to visit where I will be welcomed.

I'm not an active instructor. I did my instructor course in 03 just to do it though my resume has no bearing on this thread.

If you do not have current Instructor status, you should ask that your instructor "badge" and instructor description be removed from under your name on this board.

You guys really don't get it! In the hay day of three shops at a time at BBP you brought nothing to the community and had pissed of residents. Now that acces is restricted, you are still not bringing anything to the community and the residents are happy!!...LOL...get it? :wink:

Just think about that concept REALLY hard. Maybe you'll understand why the council took the direction they did.

Who do I ask about the banner? Maybe do me the favor and tell someone about it for me; If its that important to you. Just out of curiosity, would you weight what I say any different if it didn't say instructor?

Cam

I have absolutely NOTHING to do with any of the shops that dive there and I can understand that issue. On the other hand, four of us had heard about the site, drove up from Kitchener, ate ate lunch at a local place. Did our dives, packed up and cleaned up and had dinner at a local restaurant and drove home. If dropping over $100 on food in your village is bringing nothing, so be it. It wasn't all that great a dive that we'll worry about it. And as I said earlier, there seems to be no desire to draw any tourism to the area anyway. Maybe they could make the road a toll road with a gate, to keep out the unwashed masses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom