Big Bay Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Oro-medonte offers non resident parking permits for $110. You have to buy them at the town office in person which is a PITA but at least they’re available.

Edit: these are for Shanty Bay, not Big Bay Point.

so still no parking (other than disabled ) at big bay point ,......sad that one store one guy started all this and hes not even in business now ....

Thanks for the update guys. I can park at my brother-in-laws place so the parking thing is not an issue for me personally (thankfully) but its great to know it IS still possible with a permit.

How is the actual diving at BBP/SB? Whats the vis and anything good to see?

good gear check out site and training area some stuff on the bottom .....

image.jpg
The people who used to dive Big Bay Point are now diving at the dock next to the Shanty Bay boat launch. We are still disliked by many of the locals, but many have also been supportive. I've personally taken a lot of junk out of the water there.

You can get a parking permit from Oro-Medonte for the season for $110. I'm usually diving there once every week or two, and the divers are a friendly bunch. You can drop off your gear and park on the street in certain places too. I do the parking pass.

DM me if you need a buddy at Shanty Bay and I'll join you if I can.
@vam, once you have the parking pass, where do you park so as to keep the residents happy?

@vam, once you have the parking pass, where do you park so as to keep the residents happy?

There are two parking areas. One at the boat launch where your pin was dropped, and the other east of it past one home at the dock. You can see the dock, but the parking is obscured by the trees.

For reasons I don't understand they're allowed to do training at the boat launch, but not at the dock. So new divers and boaters clash over the space at the launch. My first time at Shanty Bay before I knew about the dock parking area I was almost run over at the launch. I damaged a brand new dive computer trying to get my gear and myself out of the way! So yeah, there is some hostility there.

I avoid the boat launch and park at the dock. The parking pass is required from Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day weekend for both areas. Bylaw officials almost always come around during dives.

If you don't have a parking pass and want to check it out, the Anglican Church on 2nd Line has been very friendly to divers so long as we avoid parking there while they're running an event. I've been told that there is also nearby street parking that does not require a permit.

I usually try to car pool with other divers from Aurora or Newmarket. It makes the trip there and back more fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom