Big Catfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo--My youngest brother is a commercial fisherman on Kentucky lake and Barkley lake in far western Ky. H knows scores of commercial fisherman. These are the people that stand the highest chance of seeing or catching something like that. So far it hasn't happened. My brother has bought catfish that weighed over 80 lbs into the boat. His former father in law has caught one the weighed over 100 lbs. I doubt seriously that there are 500 lb cat out there.

Also I know I guy that catches catfish by sticking his hand in their mouth and pulls them to the surface.

Bottom line I think you have nothing to fear. Relax and enjoy your diving. Actually I think it would be neat to see a 100 lb catfish in its own element.

My question is, at this wt. are these things good eating and where do I get some ? A 10 lb. cat is considered big down here !
Puulleeeze don't tell me they taste like chicken.

I don't like catfish but according to my brother its all in the fixin'. If you do it right its good. I've had catfish his way and I did like it. I think I remember him saying that they get tough above a certain weight but I can't recall what that weight is.

....was in 1977 at lake Tawakini (sp) east of Dallas. Helped a fisherman pull it up to the boat house; he actually got it in the john boat by himself. Caught it on a trot line using large goldfish.
Was a little over 6 ft. and 104 lbs.
I did see about a 30 pounder last Friday night at Lake Travis. And like all, I've heard the "stories".

tony

ps. the larger cats are aps. but the blue channel is the best eatin' :wiz:

Arrrr,,,, I think it would be fun to be swallowed whole by a cat.

I'd just cut my way out with my dive knife and yank that sucker to the surface... what a story that would be

:mean:

Well, like I said....I pretty much figured these were just tall tales. But you just never know these days. I wonder what a 500lb catfish would eat to fulfill itself? A big cat like that probably just sits down there on the bottom all day, so it probably wouldn't need much food? Lake Norfork is known for its 40lb+ striped bass. They are caught on a regular basis. One of those a week should keep a 500 pounder happy.

Biggest catfish Ive ever seen personally was a 55 pounder which was caught on the St. Francis river. Now theres a body of water you wouldnt want to dive in... You probably couldnt see your finger if you pushed it against your mask!! Big ole muddy nasty river....real swampy!

JBD - Ive fished on Kentucky Lake before. Caught mostly Crappie fishing the bottom of the original river bed. Thats a really shallow lake isnt it? I think it averages 20-25 ft. It sure is a big one though. Big and muddy! We did a lot of water skiing on it as well. After one of our ski sessions I was told a 5' Gar jumped out of the water right behind me just as I was being pulled up.

Id rather dive in clear blue salt water with sharks and barracudas than in muddy waters with big ole nasty catfish and gar. Lake Norfork is pretty nice for a lake though. Water is pretty green but its clear. 50ft vis in the springtime.

had an article many many years ago about some Blue Cats in the rivers and lakes of Texas, if my memory serves me correctly.

My recollection was that they had caught a couple that were over 200 lbs. This article was about 20 yrs ago when I was living in the state of beautiful horses and fast women.

It might behoove you to search the net and see what you can find.

BTW, it does taste like chicken (depending on how it is cooked) sometimes. There is a nice soul food restaraunt near LAX that serves catfish and it is great.

When I was in South Africa the barbel (tilapia) were so big, I heard that a fishermen living by the Vaal river had to bait a butchers hook with a chicken and use a 1/4 inch steel cable (salvaged from Vaal Reefs) tied to his bakky (utility truck) so he could drag them out. I think his name was Munchausen :D
P.S. He said the 1400 Nissan is to small and might get dragged in.

I Live on Ky lake, and have heard similar storys as well about catfish at the dam. It always seems to be a brother of a friend's girlfriend's cousin that saw the catfish. I HAVE seen a picture that was taken BEFORE the lake was impounded of a fish (not sure what kind it was) that was caught out of the original TN river that was about 20 feet long. And yes, the lake is extreamly murky with vis at 0 or worse! :)
Kinda thinking about trying to dive in it this year though, if nothing else to practice bouyancy (and fear suppresion :) )

Can't wait for the water to warm up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom