Big Catfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba1:
Welll why not get some of those Erorean Catfish and put them is a lake of someone you dont like ...The latin Name of the species is : Silurus glanis and it gets up tu 5 meters in leghth and over 700lbs that is some nice fishing

There was something taking swans at one of the bird reserves over here and when they did a survey it turned out to be a big wels (Silurus glanis).

It's a miracle! Another long-dead thread resurrected!

i never pay attention to the dates

Ok, you all ready for the truth on the subject?

Coldwater catfish do not get over 150 pounds.

BUT, in the United States, other freshwater fish get enormous.

garfish.jpg
This is an Alligator Gar, their teeth are razor sharp. They are found in warm rivers, and usually max out about 250 pounds.

picStur2a.jpg
This is a Sturgeon. Found in colder rivers. Grows to 20+ feet long.

giantcatfish-755445.jpg
Giant catfish, but dont worry. It only eats Asian people (because it lives in South East Asia). Grows up to a thousand pounds.

Count yourself extremely lucky if you get to see any of these fish. Afterall, thats why we scuba dive. Some could be dangerous I guess. But if people can dive with Great White Sharks and not get eaten (too frequently), I think its ok to be around these fish.

Uncle Pug and I once saw a sturgeon at Cove 2 (aka "The Office"). It was a small one ... only maybe 5 or 6 feet long. It looked like something out of Jurassic Park ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back in the days of 30-40' visibility in Lake Travis around Austin, TX, we used to frequent Don Brode's Scuba Park. A private cove for instructors and their classes only. Don had a great setup with docks, a barge that he would move sunken boats around the cove with, compressor, had to use his steel 72's.

Anyway, it was common for us to feed hotdogs to the fish with students. Once were were standing on a 48' houseboat at about 70', feeding the fish, when two huge channel cats came in and started circleing. One was about 6' long, the big boy around 8'. They circles for about a minute when the big guy suddenly turned, heads stright for my buddy Marc. As he got close to Marc he opened his mouth which looked like a grage door opening. Marc was standing with his hand above his head holding a whole hotdog. The volume of water going into that mouth so suddenly not only sucked the hotdog in but pulled Marc's glove halfway off his hand. Pretty cool.

I've also seel a tail about 14"-16" tall tail in Lake Waxahachie off Soldier Bluff. Vis was about 12" (yes inches) and we were at 80'. We decided to leave.

Yes there are big cats in the water. Usually nothing to worry about.

"They mostly come out at night. Mostly."

Name the movie.

I saw we lift off and nuke them from orbit, only way to be sure...

That would be a scene from Catfish: The extended Version with Ripley and Hicks on a water world being attacked by giant marine eating catfish. Orginally it was going to be a sequel to Titanic, but got shot down in favor of the new one coming out, The Hindenberg, where Jack actually gets saved by being picked up by the blimp on its way to New Jersey.

Oh here in Iowa, I have heard about giant catfish for years living in the Mississippi, never seen one, okay can't see anything at all if you are in the water, but you get the idea, but there are some rather large ones at the river aquarium here in Dubuque.

Orginally it was going to be a sequel to Titanic, but got shot down in favor of the new one coming out, The Hindenberg, where Jack actually gets saved by being picked up by the blimp on its way to New Jersey.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAH LOL!

Back
Top Bottom