Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...why are you trying so hard to resist good advice by throwing out exagerations?

6 kt current. :rolleyes:

:confused:

Whatever. When you pull the anchor and your GPS reads that you're going 7 mph, what's that mean? I dove in that. I didn't see you there.

Pug, denial of factual information *really* clouds the issue. Why don't we just leave it at facts?

And why did you even bother to start this thread when all you seem to want to do is debate the insight offered by others?

I started this thread to share the mistake so that somebody else might not make it. It was secondary to get more insight.

Which we've discussed nicely. When people say, "You rose too fast," I'm going to point to the facts and say, "I rose too slow." That's the whole point of learning, Pug.

I don't see a problem here. Well, except for the blatant violation of TOS...

I'm starting to agree with Waterlover... you are just trolling with this thread... but that is OK...

Oh jeez. :rolleyes:

Whatever, man. Eight pages of discussion later it's just a troll? That just doesn't make any sense, bud.

Last I looked, we were all learning and discussing fine until Nanook threw some flames in... And you fanned them. What's up with that? Why would you do that, Pug?

GearHead once bubbled...
First: 6 knot current?

Yep. Welcome to the Lowcountry, where the tide rises and falls a whopping eight to ten feet every day, twice a day. A six knot current is the result of the tide slowing down. :D I wouldn't recommend diving when it's *really* going.

Where are you guys from that you don't see a six knot current?

And before you get defensive, SeaJay, I'm not referring to you regarding ascending too fast, because you apparently didn't.

I'm not defensive. That was an empty accusation by someone here on the board with an unknown bone to pick. If my posts have seemed that way to you, then let me correct that. If I was truly defensive, I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

But I do assert that you don't understand the "ceiling" concept based on your actions.

Feel free to have your opinion.

Just remember, this thread was designed to be productive.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Feel free to have your opinion.

Thanks, I will.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Just remember, this thread was designed to be productive.

So how was my post non-productive? I'm trying to help you. If you're going to flip your dive-plan mid-dive and go to the computer, you should at least know how to use the CPU, don't you agree?

SeaJay once bubbled...
Yep. Welcome to the Lowcountry, where the tide rises and falls a whopping eight to ten feet every day, twice a day. A six knot current is the result of the tide slowing down.
...you have piqued my interest.

Where is this exactly... do you have a location name... or hydrographic station name?

dvleemin once bubbled...
I would really like to hear Mike Ferrara's comments on this.

Darryl

He has better things to do than debate with a troll!!!!

Okay, let's get back on track... Flames are pointless, a waste of bandwidth, and only serve to dilute the pertinent information.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

Question 1. for SeaJay: why didn't you just share air for a while? That would have given you a slight additional deco edge since your buddy had 32%, and that would have left a bit more gas on your back to handle any problems while getting onto the boat.

Yeah, I could have done that. I don't like to share air, though, unless I'm really out of air. I think it creates enough potential problems that it should only be used as a last resort measure. Well, okay... A "second to last resort measure," since a "last resort measure" would have been to ditch deco altogether and just surface.

I had enough gas to even permit me to stay the additional "optional" three minute safety stop, which I did. I was there for fifteen minutes, not twelve.

Question 2. Quite a few posts back, you made reference to 18 minutes of deco obligation while passing 45'. Was this really deco time, or was this a calculated "time to ascend" using the ultra slow ascent rate that you had at the time?

Well, that's a great question...

The display on my 'puter said, "18 minutes," and had the ASC flag up... Meaning that I had 18 minutes of deco. Curious to find out exactly what that meant, I found reference to it in the owner's manual:

"The ascent time (ASC TIME) is the minimum amount of time needed to reach the surface in a decompression dive. It includes:

* the time needed to ascend to the ceiling at an ascent rate of 10 m/min (33 ft/min)

plus

*the time needed at the ceiling. The ceiling is the shallowest depth to which you should ascend

plus

* the time needed at the Mandatory Safety Stop (if any)

plus

* the recommended 3 minute safety stop

plus

* the time needed to reach the surface after the ceiling and safety stops have been removed."

So that answers your question, I think. However, I did not do an ascent at 33 ft/min... I did mine at 8 ft/min... Much too slow.

I think that what you were getting at was, "Did you really deco for 18 minutes, or did the numbers simply decrease by the time you got there?"

I can't tell you one way or the other, since an ascent at 8 ft/min really does equate to taking about 3 minutes to get to ceiling - 10 feet.

But I can tell you this... Any time I spent above 35 feet (say I'd stopped at 30, for example) would have resulted in LESS deco time, since that'd be above the floor.

GearHead once bubbled...

So how was my post non-productive? I'm trying to help you. If you're going to flip your dive-plan mid-dive and go to the computer, you should at least know how to use the CPU, don't you agree?

Of course.

Fair enough.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Whatever. When you pull the anchor and your GPS reads that you're going 7 mph, what's that mean? I dove in that. I didn't see you there.
Maybe the wind was blowing your boat?

:confused:

For the record, it's been checked - Nanook is a unique user, and is not posting from the same machine or IP address of any other user on ScubaBoard. Please contact Nanook privately if you wish to establish his/her identity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom