Biggest wreck in Great Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big ships in the St.Lawrence above rec depths:
The East Cliff Hall. Tops out around 70ft, I'd have to check but I believe it's about 300ft long. Big old steel ship in nice shape.

The KeyStorm, another 300ft long freighter resting on a shoal. Stern sits in about 130ft and the Bow at about 25ft. Start at the prop and work your way up, very nice dive. The America is usually done with this one but she rests completely upside down so all the good stuff is inside so penetration training is a must.

The Daryaw, another huge steel freighter. Sits upside down wedged in a narrow rock channel. Lots of good stuff to see.

Great Lakes:
You mentioned large ships specifically so I'm trying to list only 300ft+ stuff but there are loads of smaller wooden schooner types in great shape within rec limits (let me know if you want that list!).

Charles S. Price is somewhere over 500ft long but it's mostly collapsed now. Did it this summer and saw some cool stuff inside but I kept thinking the whole time that a good current would send the whole thing crashing down. Wouldn't repeat (just putting this here in case someone tried to sucker you into diving it) :)

The SS Wexford, steel freighter about 250ft long, 3 decks. Sits perfectly upright with a max depth of about 90ft

The Northwind. What can I say? Want to dive a wreck that looks like something out of a hollywood movie? This is your wreck.. This is probably the best preserved wreck in rec limits I've ever seen. Words don't do it justice, google it.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, plenty more though I'm sure others will mention.

---------- Post added November 25th, 2014 at 06:53 PM ----------

Oh man I almost forgot the Empress of Ireland! This has been on my to do list for several years now. While not that deep, the conditions can go to hell really fast so it's an advanced dive. It's a true Ocean Liner though, at full capacity she could hold almost 2000 people.
Here is the wiki:

RMS Empress of Ireland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Price is a mess, but 3 salvage attempts, shallow water, and a failed dynamiting has left her ravaged by time. The Regina 249', North Star (sister to North Wind), James H Reed 550', Anna C Minch 412', William C Moreland 550', Davock 300', Grecian 300', Sagamore 350', the big whaleback in Lake Erie is also 350', and the Emperor 550'+ in Lake Superior all recreational dives. The Cedarville is the only "modern" wreck that is within rec limits with the Morrell and Jodry in a dark grey zone.

Now that's a list, I've only heard of the North Star out of those. Are they mostly run out of the US side?
Btw great thread, I'm compiling my list of to-do dives for next year now :)

The Price is a mess, but 3 salvage attempts, shallow water, and a failed dynamiting has left her ravaged by time. The Regina 249', North Star (sister to North Wind), James H Reed 550', Anna C Minch 412', William C Moreland 550', Davock 300', Grecian 300', Sagamore 350', the big whaleback in Lake Erie is also 350', and the Emperor 550'+ in Lake Superior all recreational dives. The Cedarville is the only "modern" wreck that is within rec limits with the Morrell and Jodry in a dark grey zone.

The Reed might be in Canadian waters in Lake Erie. She is the largest wreck in that lake, but was dynamited because of depth of water over her. She is 70ft down. The others are American.

Anglo, where do you want to dive and what can you dive? I can send you a list of the best in the area you desire.

I would love to dive Lake Michigan this summer... I'm about 50 miles strait west of Chicago...I have started my wreck Specality and would like to complete it on a really cool and open penatrable wreck.

Does anyone dive LM wet? I have a 7 mil I have been in 40 deg water for 20 min and was fine temp wise. I did learn I need new boots 3ml boots not warm enough. I recently did my dry Specality but do not own one and would rather penetrate with out one more thing to remember.

Does anyone dive LM wet? I have a 7 mil I have been in 40 deg water for 20 min and was fine temp wise. I did learn I need new boots 3ml boots not warm enough. I recently did my dry Specality but do not own one and would rather penetrate with out one more thing to remember.

I would recommend a drysuit for Lake Michigan diving. Some of the better wrecks are in deeper water and a wetsuit compressed at depth won't be comfortable for long. I'm also from the Chicago area and might know someone your size willing to let their backup suit go for cheap if money is an issue. As a side note Dive Right In Scuba has two charter boats that go out to all the local wrecks each week during the dive season.

I would love to dive Lake Michigan this summer... I'm about 50 miles strait west of Chicago...I have started my wreck Specality and would like to complete it on a really cool and open penatrable wreck.

I am a warm-water wimp, but if I ever decided to venture out into Lake Michigan for a wreck dive (not likely!) the Straits of Mackinac Ferry near Chicago sounds like a large but fairly easy wreck dive for training purposes.

Straits of Mackinac in Chicago, Illinois Storms flattened most of Lake Michigan’s real shipwrecks, as the shallow depths offered little protection. Before the Straits of Mackinac artificial reef was downed in 2003, divers had to descend much deeper to find something so large and intact. The 204-foot-long former steam-powered car ferry — a 55-minute boat ride from downtown Chicago — sits upright between 60 and 80 feet. Experienced divers can penetrate from bow to stern.
“What I like most is to start in the galley, where a full-blown kitchen with the crew’s mess is,” says Jim Gentile, owner of Windy City Diving. “Then I head to the stern, passing eight staterooms. Walking — er, swimming — down the hallway, you can imagine what it was like when the crew worked aboard.”

Last edited:
I'm interested in Erie or Michigan this summer since drive times would be comparatively short. I'm still most comfortable within rec depths so anything you can think of there would be great!

The Reed might be in Canadian waters in Lake Erie. She is the largest wreck in that lake, but was dynamited because of depth of water over her. She is 70ft down. The others are American.

Anglo, where do you want to dive and what can you dive? I can send you a list of the best in the area you desire.

Dive Rite In Scuba has some great prices on Fusion suits from DEMA. I picked up a Aqualung Bullet for close to dealer cost. There are also some great deals out there on used suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom