Biggest wreck in Great Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone dive LM wet? I have a 7 mil I have been in 40 deg water for 20 min and was fine temp wise. I did learn I need new boots 3ml boots not warm enough. I recently did my dry Specality but do not own one and would rather penetrate with out one more thing to remember.

I did multiple wrecks in the Straits of Mackinac a few years ago in August with a wet suit. Don't feel you need to go spend thousands of dollars to see these amazing wrecks.

I did the Eber Ward and Cedarville plus a couple others wearing 7mm full suit, 5/7 hooded vest, 7mm boots, 5mm gloves. I dived an HP119 w/AL30 pony.

I definitely would rather have had a drysuit, but it's not needed to see some great history.

Anglo, for Lake Erie I would suggest the Brunswick off Dunkirk lying between 85-105ft of water. Intact with artifacts. The schooner Washington Irving in 120ft of water with both masts standing also off Dunkirk. Betty Hedger has her pilothouse on her with a few artifacts in 115ft of water west of Dunkirk. My favorite so far in Lake Erie is the canal freighter John Boland off Barcelona in 95-136ft of water. She is a small steel freighter but is defiantly worth the dive.

On the Canadian side I would say the tug Brown Brothers in 120ft of water intact and lies 6 miles off long point light. Trade Wind in 122ft of water intact off Long Point. The usidedown Dean Richmond has many artifacts left in the hull between Long Point and Erie Penn (American Waters by 2 miles).

Other Lake Erie wrecks I would check out would be the James Reed, Aycliffe Hall, Nimrod, James Colgate (whaleback), Merida, Frank Vigor, Little Wissahickon, Steven Gale, Duke Luedtke, Admiral, Morning Star, and the Willis.

For Lake Michigan I would recommend the car ferry Milwaukee, Prins William V, Eber Ward, Anna C Minch, Novadoc, Salvor, Westmorland (130-180), Ann Arbor 5, Material Service, Tacoma, Straits of Mackinaw, maybe the Thomas Hume which is supposedly within reach of rec divers, Wisconsin (off of Kenosha Wisconsin), Edward Gillen, Northerner, Hetty Tailor, Ocean Wave, and America. If you are confident inn your abilities after all these dives, the I would try the Rouse Simmons and the Thomas Hume.

All the wrecks I have mentioned are recreational although a few are borderline, and are intact to varing degrees.

I just bought a boat a few months ago just to beable to dive more. Hit me up if you want to dive some of the wrecks in Lake Huron. It will have to be in mid April as my boat is in winter storage until then. My boat isn't big, but the stearn offers easy access in and out of the water.

image.jpg

That's a great list, thanks for that. Looks like I'll be putting some miles on the road this summer :)

Anglo, for Lake Erie I would suggest the Brunswick off Dunkirk lying between 85-105ft of water. Intact with artifacts. The schooner Washington Irving in 120ft of water with both masts standing also off Dunkirk. Betty Hedger has her pilothouse on her with a few artifacts in 115ft of water west of Dunkirk. My favorite so far in Lake Erie is the canal freighter John Boland off Barcelona in 95-136ft of water. She is a small steel freighter but is defiantly worth the dive.

On the Canadian side I would say the tug Brown Brothers in 120ft of water intact and lies 6 miles off long point light. Trade Wind in 122ft of water intact off Long Point. The usidedown Dean Richmond has many artifacts left in the hull between Long Point and Erie Penn (American Waters by 2 miles).

Other Lake Erie wrecks I would check out would be the James Reed, Aycliffe Hall, Nimrod, James Colgate (whaleback), Merida, Frank Vigor, Little Wissahickon, Steven Gale, Duke Luedtke, Admiral, Morning Star, and the Willis.

For Lake Michigan I would recommend the car ferry Milwaukee, Prins William V, Eber Ward, Anna C Minch, Novadoc, Salvor, Westmorland (130-180), Ann Arbor 5, Material Service, Tacoma, Straits of Mackinaw, maybe the Thomas Hume which is supposedly within reach of rec divers, Wisconsin (off of Kenosha Wisconsin), Edward Gillen, Northerner, Hetty Tailor, Ocean Wave, and America. If you are confident inn your abilities after all these dives, the I would try the Rouse Simmons and the Thomas Hume.

All the wrecks I have mentioned are recreational although a few are borderline, and are intact to varing degrees.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2015 at 10:18 PM ----------

Do you hire out for beer and gas money :)

I just bought a boat a few months ago just to beable to dive more. Hit me up if you want to dive some of the wrecks in Lake Huron. It will have to be in mid April as my boat is in winter storage until then. My boat isn't big, but the stearn offers easy access in and out of the water.

View attachment 203905

The Westmoreland is a technical dive, 180 to the bottom and 160ish to the deck. A very interesting wreck.

Beer & gas money works for me, I plan to be diving by May 1st

The Westmoreland is a technical dive, 180 to the bottom and 160ish to the deck. A very interesting wreck.

Darn, looks like I'll have to throw on the doubles. I thought she was at an angle with the bow starting at 130 and the stern deck to 160 with the prop to 180.

Jared,

hit me up once the weather warms. I'll dive the Westmoreland with you. My boat is small, but I figure we can fit 2 sets of doubles and stage bottles on board if it's just us. I don't know if there is a subsurface bouy to tie into or if we need to hook the wreck, either way I have 200' of anchor line and a grapple just for these kinds of wrecks.

Darn, looks like I'll have to throw on the doubles. I thought she was at an angle with the bow starting at 130 and the stern deck to 160 with the prop to 180.

she sits pretty flat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom