Biggest wreck in Great Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dab, do you have a good set of numbers or run a charter out to the wreck? I talked to Ross about helping him with sidescanning for the uppers and maybe the Gilcher if we have nothing going on in Huron this year. He never did get back to me about diving the Westmorland. Diver72, we got a larger boat we can take out that we tow up to the straits every year. If Dab doesn't run something.

Dab, do you have a good set of numbers or run a charter out to the wreck? I talked to Ross about helping him with sidescanning for the uppers and maybe the Gilcher if we have nothing going on in Huron this year. He never did get back to me about diving the Westmorland. Diver72, we got a larger boat we can take out that we tow up to the straits every year. If Dab doesn't run something.
To the best of my knowledge Jared, Ross is the only one with the numbers to the wreck. He was gracious enough to take me out there a couple of years ago for some video work.

Anglo:

I'll keep you posted on Erie dives. I have a boat, but honestly, running it is 3-5x the cost of charters, and not as comfortable as its only a 30'....

Probably more comfortable than a rhib :) I'm in for sure. My plan for the summer was to try and video as many wrecks as I can. Multiple lights/cameras and I'm thinking I can get some good stuff.
Anglo:

I'll keep you posted on Erie dives. I have a boat, but honestly, running it is 3-5x the cost of charters, and not as comfortable as its only a 30'....

as the buoys are set, and the conditions are favorable....

last year, we made a 2 hour run for 5' vis on the CB Benson.....

To the best of my knowledge Jared, Ross is the only one with the numbers to the wreck. He was gracious enough to take me out there a couple of years ago for some video work.

According to the press release when he found it, he said he would publish the GPS cords in his book. His book should be available

The book gave the land position 2 miles off a road in Platte Bay. Sidescan will pick it up along the wall

Ya the Benson had terrible vis every time I've gone out. I think it's just a consequence of where it's located and the shallow depth. Best I've seen was here..

[youtubehq]_CX_W8QzL9E[/youtubehq]

Well let me know when you're ready to go, better half got me a heated vest for my b-day so I'm ready to go :)
Speaking of which I was thinking about some diving down at the scuba park if there are any openings in the ice. Plan to do some recon tomorrow and decide for Sunday if you're interested.

as the buoys are set, and the conditions are favorable....

last year, we made a 2 hour run for 5' vis on the CB Benson.....

Since Ross was not willing to share his discovery I went out last summer and found the wreck. I made several dives on the wreck shooting video and also posted this on the website. Also his description of a wall is also very misleading. The bottom dose rise up but this dose not happen for nearly 3/4 of a mile away. A tow fish sonar would find this wreck very easily and that is why I am so surprised no one had found the wreck. When I searched for the wreck in 2002 and 2003 we stared our search pattern just to the north of the site and continued north. If I had started one grid pattern to the south we would have found the wreck first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom