black vs. colored fins--opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Here's a question for you:

The enduring popularity of the eminently black Jet Fins aside, is there any substantive disadvantage to having fins be black, with regards to visibility, finding them if lost during a dive, etc., and would you choose them if other colors are theoretically available? I say theoretically because there's one model I have my eyes on that have several black pairs in stock but none in my traditionally preferred blue, and the only blue things left in my arsenal are my snorkel and an old pair of Dacor full-foot fins.

cheers

Billy S.

It must be a DIR conspiracy, we all must go the way of the darkside someday.
My blue is slowly disappearing too. :D

It would really stink if we were diving in low light conditions single file and my HID was reflecting back into my eyes from my buddy's *pink* fins.

That said, if I could find a pair of pink XL Jets I'd buy 'em just for the fun of it. :D

dlndavid:
It must be a DIR conspiracy, we all must go the way of the darkside someday.
My blue is slowly disappearing too. :D

I think you're right. Revenge of the Sith is opening soon, so the Black look will be here to stay. Get any color you like ... as long as it's black. :wink:

I honestly don't understand why color is such an issue with DIR. Wouldn't it make sense for:

a. Cave Lines to be luminous orange/pink/yellow instead of white?
b. Drysuits/wesuits should be or have some red or orange for visibility on the surface?
c. Fins should be yellow/pink in case your in a silt out or low light condition?

Anything that aids in locating a diver (above or below) makes sense to me as long as you don't look like a ... George Irvine had a term for it ... pxxp, clown...?

I'd love it if I were able to get neon green Jet fins and neon green drygloves.

BTW, neither 'black' nor 'colored' are very PC these days.

Moogyboy:
hey all

Here's a question for you:

The enduring popularity of the eminently black Jet Fins aside, is there any substantive disadvantage to having fins be black, with regards to visibility, finding them if lost during a dive, etc., and would you choose them if other colors are theoretically available? I say theoretically because there's one model I have my eyes on that have several black pairs in stock but none in my traditionally preferred blue, and the only blue things left in my arsenal are my snorkel and an old pair of Dacor full-foot fins.

cheers

Billy S.

They are easy to see, which makes it easy to distinguish me from other divers, and they would (if I ever needed them) make a good signaling device.

Uncle Pug: I remember seeing some yellow ones on ebay several weeks ago. Keep your fingers crossed. :D

Jonnythan: Sure, but you wouldn't ask a sales clerk for the fins with the maximum visible light absorbtion.

jonnythan:
I'd love it if I were able to get neon green Jet fins and neon green drygloves.

BTW, neither 'black' nor 'colored' are very PC these days.

I'm sorry, I meant "chromatically pan-absorbent".

cheers

Billy S.

SeanQ:
Uncle Pug: I remember seeing some yellow ones on ebay several weeks ago. Keep your fingers crossed. :D

Jonnythan: Sure, but you wouldn't ask a sales clerk for the fins with the maximum visible light absorbtion.

Oops, you beat me to it Sean. hehe

cheers

Billy S.

Back
Top Bottom