Bladder for drinking underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I need water I just draw a little into my mouth and swish and replace the reg. I would think that the pressure would make the camel "think" you're drinking and let water out.

Wait but then again, wouldn't the pressure from inside the camel and the pressure from the water balance eachother?

If I need water I just draw a little into my mouth and swish and replace the reg. I would think that the pressure would make the camel "think" you're drinking and let water out.

Wait but then again, wouldn't the pressure from inside the camel and the pressure from the water balance eachother?
Water dont compress so it would only be any trapped air that gets pushed out, but the camelback also have a "bite-valve"..

Update-TurtleBak is still working on a way to make an adapter for the SCUDA mouthpiece. They said "We are committed to getting this adapter into your hands"-keeping my fingers crossed. Would LOVE to own a few of these!

TurtleBak™ was created specifically for you guys who are interested in taking fresh drinking water with you while diving. It is a thousand times better than the now defunct SCUDA, and far easier, longer lasting in saltwater and sunlight, less complicated to attach than a CamelBak® and designed specifically by and for scuba divers. Plus it can hold up to an impressive 2 L of water and still be streamlined.

www.TurtleBak.com

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about TurtleBak™.

You, sir. Have just blown my mind.:monkeydance:

Everyone, Sorry it has been a while since we have updated you and replied to your questions and comments. As you will read, we have been hard at work developing for you. We have also updated our website, TurtleBak.com, with new pictures, product accessories, and quite a few other useful pages, as well as an instructional video. You can also view the video on YouTube here from any handheld device, without the need for flash.

Once again, thank you for your patience,
The TurtleBak™ Team

So when you drink from a TurtlBak, is there a problem of getting saltwater in your mouth when inserting the drinking tube? If "yes", how do you deal with it? Can you spit out the saltwater while the TB tube is in your mouth, or what?

The back of my throat gets rather dry after 5-10 minutes and this seems like it might help greatly on 40-60 min dives.

If you follow your SCUBA training and blow a small trickle of bubbles when you remove your regs, you will not have any problems getting saltwater in your mouth with the drinking tube. If you do get saltwater in your mouth, it's as easy as spitting it out as you would do above water, and this can be done while having the drinking tube still in your mouth.

---------- Post added ----------

Water dont compress so it would only be any trapped air that gets pushed out, but the camelback also have a "bite-valve"..

Yes, Tigerman, you are correct in that water cannot be compressed. If you read the instructions for a CamelBak® or any hydration reservoir, it clearly says to remove the air from your reservoir for best use. This is especially true underwater, where having too much air will indeed force water our of the reservoir through the mouthpiece, as well as add buoyancy. The easiest way to remove the air from the reservoir, once filled as full as you need it, is to partially screw the fill cap on and then lay it flat (where things can get wet), and gently apply pressure to the reservoir until a little water comes out of the cap. Maintain the pressure on the reservoir, and finish tightening the cap. This should remove 98% precent of the air, and is very easy and quick to do.

Update-TurtleBak is still working on a way to make an adapter for the SCUDA mouthpiece. They said "We are committed to getting this adapter into your hands"-keeping my fingers crossed. Would LOVE to own a few of these!

You're absolutely correct. We here at TurtleBak™ have been busy the last few months, and have completed the development phase of the integration, and believe our solution is excellent. However, we are currently working on bringing the cost of manufacturing down so we can price the adapter reasonably; but as it is right now, it is cost prohibitive. The interest for the adapter is coming from a very small percentage of divers; though rest assured, we are working hard to bring something to you, our market base.

If it was merely an adapter, it would be relatively inexpensive, but since the way TurtleBak and SCUDA work are completely different (TurtleBak by drawing on a hose, and SCUDA by squeezing the reservoir), we have had to develop a reliable way of creating suction manually, while keeping it in line with TurtleBak's goals of streamlined, unobtrusive integration with the end-user's equipment.

Go ahead, buy your TurtleBak™today, and start using it. The benefits outweigh the wait for the adapter, plus the adapter will be something that can be bought and added at any point when it becomes available.

And as Scubagirlfl said, we are committed to getting this adapter into your hands!

You, sir. Have just blown my mind.:monkeydance:

Hahaha. Glad to be of service!

Just got my TurtleBak via Priority Mail and can't wait to try it out in Bonaire in a couple of days.

QUESTION: how/where do you install the clear plastic extension tubing (if I need the extra length). I assume I just cut the supply line from the bladder reservoir and insert the clear tubing in the middle of the line, correct?

Hi,

I've heard of the SCUDA (but I don;t think they're in business anymore) and I've heard of people using camalbak's or similar, just wondering how you would attach the camalbak ? where you would attach it? do you use just the bladder or the whole pack including rucsak?

Cheers
hubby attaches on the back of the tank with the camelback straps. He threads the mouthpiece through so that he can reach it. I share his water supply so I don't carry my own. Works great!

I would never feel comfortable removing my reg to insert a tube to drink and then replace my reg. That's why I'm so excited/hoping they make a SCUDA type attachment
51.gif
, I'll be the first one in line to purchase it!

Any updates regarding the SCUDAish adapter for the TurtleBak?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom