bleeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hmmm...so out of curiosity, do you bleed faster or slower at different depths or does it not make a difference? (some question about getting hit with a speargun sparked my interest)....dumb question but I was just wondering...

I think the answer is you would bleed just as slow as on the surface because (if I remember correctly from OW class) fluids don't compress so the pressure inside and outside your body are equal at depth. Could be wrong though?

I was diving with a guy who got a nick on the noggin at depth and it was bizarre watching the blood change colors coming up the line. At about the safety stop you couldn't tell if it was red or green, gave me a weird appreciation of color-blindness.

Rachel

I hypothesize that one would bleed more slowly. It is true that water (the main component of blood) is incompressible under these conditions, but there is greater pressure surrounding and acting upon the space occupied by the blood. The blood, then, would exit the vascular system more slowly. Of course, to confirm or reject this hypothosis, an experiment must be conducted. The volume of blood inside the body (blood remaining after loss) or outside the body (blood lost) should be collected and measured. This would be done with identical wounds in identical organisms on the surface and at depth. Since there are no identical wounds or organisms, the experiement would have to be repeated many times with subjects randomly assigned to control and treatment groups to achieve a reasonable confidence level. It is unlikely that sufficient numbers of humans would volunteer for this experiment, and if there were a sufficient number, it is unlikely that the design would pass human subjects research review. Alternatively, one might conduct this experiment covertly on prisoners, but the expense and risk would be significant. Since there are many lab animals now unemployed due to bans on cosmetics testing, these could be used. To ease the measurement process, I suggest large animals. Does anyone have a couple of hundred pigs?

After talking to my cardiologist about organ pressurization diving. My cardiologist told me that organs are pressurized internally. So if you are bleeding internally you really wouldn't know any difference. If you are bleeding from the iside such as arm to the oustide, that would depend on what yo cut,(artery,vein).

Fish_Whisperer:
*sharpening my dive knife* Anyone wanna' try an experiment, all in the name of science?

Muahahahahahaha....

:D

It is UNDER 6 inches, right FW? :D

Back
Top Bottom