Din Retainer / Hand Wheel Loosening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thi

that’s likely it, he keeps twisting things where he should just wait for them to POP off on their own 😁
Shots fired!

If anything I do need to clean the verdigris off everything (valves / threads), that would probably help.
I've had this happen on my Apeks regs, but only when the DIN threads are getting particularly crusty. I've taken to giving the handwheels an ultrasonic bath every 6 months/50 dives, at the same time I check all the hoses for tightness, confirm cracking pressure etc. Also encourages me to replace the DIN o-ring at the same interval, which is nice.

Crusty... My DIN regs are freshwater.. no crust.

I have learned the habit of always twisting the center to make sure it is tight, and I always carry the appropriate hex wrench in case it isn't. I asked DRIS for suggestions, and the only solution offered was to make sure I use a torque wrench to tighten it to the specified level. I have loaned that wrench out to others on the boat as needed.
I use a *small* drop of Loc-Tite on mine. Just a smidgen. Did I say "small"? They don't loosen any more. No, no, no, not the red stuff. I like getting things apart a year later to service things...

My manual called for red locktite.

Requires heat to remove. Before I send my regs in for service, should I heat the barrel din adapter up, and crack it loose for the reg tech?

Do they need to remove the din barrel thing to service the reg?

I'm not impressed with the design of scuba regulators. You'd think that this part would have a cross bolt, and that the tank valve would be splined or something. Don't want to hear "life safety device" from scuba industry insiders. Because this could be better.

Knock on wood, or chrome-plated brass, but I have never had a loosening issue with a properly-torqued DIN connection wheel or stem, in decades of being in the drink . . .

My regs do get a little crusty on the threads, I can see that being part of the issue. I dive more fresh than salt, but its probably 60/40.

For those of you that don't have issues do you dive mostly fresh?

@halocline I assure you no bouncing around. Even if my regs are on the tanks during the ride I keep them slightly loose for this very reason.

@stepfen I use a torque wrench at the house after one has come loose. I use one anytime I rebuild. They still come loose.

It doesn't happen often enough to be a horrible experience, just enough to be slightly annoying. It's nice to know that DR adds just a drop of blue loctite to their regs to prevent this. I might still do that. I don't see how that would be a bad thing even if it's not in the manual. And the blue is easy enough to take apart.

@rhwestfall these are Deep 6 regs, but both the signature and Excursion. I reached out to them, I'll see what they say. I've also had it happen with MK2 Evo (but that might be my sons fault).

@rhwestfall these are Deep 6 regs, but both the signature and Excursion. I reached out to them, I'll see what they say. I've also had it happen with MK2 Evo (but that might be my sons fault).
Have you tagged @LandonL yet? Pretty sure he is the deep 6 guy. Him and Chris, but I forget his tag.

Edit: @cerich

Have you tagged @LandonL yet? Pretty sure he is the deep 6 guy. Him and Chris, but I forget his tag.

Edit: @cerich

I did not, but I did reach out via email to Bert and he's been going back and forth.

It's not only the Deep 6 regs doing it, so I don't want to single them out, D6 is just what I own the most of.

Since you did @LandonL, @cerich do you have any suggestions? Loctite?

After looking at the manual I might have a 70 duro o ring behind the din retainer vs the 90 that it specifies. I don't think that helps.

Back
Top Bottom