Din Retainer / Hand Wheel Loosening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easiest solution? Go back to yoke...

:rofl3:

Anyhow...

The larger bodied firsts (someone mentioned the HOG D1) have been the only one to give me troubles... I've never had a MK17, a MK2, or a Poseidon loosen....

Could be a design flaw...

Any other brand want to be mentioned?

@rob.mwpropane - what model(s)?

Well in the MK2's defense it was my sons tank. I can't swear that he didn't turn the reg (I'd probably bet money it was his fault). As for my personal regs I'm not sure. None of them have been rounded out though. The most annoying thing to happen is I've chewed up an o ring and had to replace it on the spot.

You can keep your yokes to yourself!:) (see what I did there) :rofl3:

My Dive Rite XTs often got loose. I just carried a proper hex wrench.

I think I'll just get into the habit of tightening them up like once a month, which is not a big deal.

I like @-JD- idea of tightening the reg a little, I could easily get into a habit of that.

It's crazy because I just use finger tight, I loosen the regs during travel (if kitting everything up at the house). I'm just not sure.

@rsingler have any suggestions? I know he's the resident reg doctor.

NOT thoroughly rinsing your regs for the first couple of dives after service will do the trick ...

I am kidding of course. Are you guys using a torque wrench for tightening it? If so, it needs quite a bit of torque and I don't see how it could get loose after normal use. Hasn't happened to me after ~450 dives with Mk11s...

I think the Lube suggestion was for the DIN-Wheel to retainer interface and the threads where they engage the tank valve.

I do lightly lube the interface to reg-body threads to prevent seizing when disassembled, but that arguably would contribute to the potential for loosening. - poison picking ...

I'm going to suggest that you fix them once them once and for all using proper milspec technique - just stake them like the screws on an M16 gas-key. Once and done.

ETA Whoops, did I forget my [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags? :wink:

1208.jpg

*Dive Rite 1208*

I would NOT use loctite or any similar product unless specified by the mfg. of the regulator. None do as far as I know so they can't all of them be ignorant or stupid not to know about Loctite.

Any other brand want to be mentioned?
Three of my B2's also.

I did the red dot stuff and got yelled at by my tech........who then proceeded to put a blue dot on it after it came loose upon paying the invoice for service.

It’s hard to imagine properly torqued DIN retainers coming loose on regulators unless someone bangs them around while they’re attached to a tank or picks the tank up by the regulator; I’ve seen that stunt pulled a few times on dive boats. Anyhow, I wouldn’t use loctite unless the manufacturer recommends it. It’s not a bad idea to carry the appropriate hex wrench; for SP that would mean carrying both 4mm and 6mm (or the SAE equivalent).

Putting a little lubricant on the threads of the retainer itself, meaning the connection between the retainer and the reg body, is not something I usually do but if I did, I might be tempted to increase the torque a bit, maybe 10% or so.

Back
Top Bottom