Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How on earth does that work if you aren't staying with them?

A new policy they have is you must check out your weights on your first dive day (or the day before) and keep them with you at all times. The boats no longer have weights (but the DM does if you need a couple extra pounds on a dive).

Yes I have dived with them when not staying at the hotel. And I am pretty sure I have seen them picking up at locations other than theirs.

Do people do that? Seems almost as odd as staying at SCC but not diving with them.

Doh!! I just wrongly posted a response to this on the old thread the OP linked. So my two cents are there if interested. We just stayed at BA last week.

How on earth does that work if you aren't staying with them?

That's a very good question, Marg. Perhaps they just check their weights out each day they check in at the dive shop prior to getting on the boat????

That's what they do Islanddream. I was very disappointed by this new weight deal at BA on our last trip. I'm not sure how they handled the peeps we picked up at different docks.

That's what they do Islanddream. I was very disappointed by this new weight deal at BA on our last trip. I'm not sure how they handled the peeps we picked up at different docks.

I dove with them for the first time a few weeks ago. I got to BA about an hour early(flying solo that day), talked to the guys in the dive shop and went upstairs to eat. They never mentioned anything about the weights to me, I assumed they would be on the boat

FF to me trying to descend, looking like a flailing drunk moving and squirming in every direction to get down. The six lbs we borrowed from another boat out there wasn't enough and I knew I needed 12. Luckily, the DM saw me and came over to pack a couple more weights in the BCD for me. I was real close to just going back to the boat :cussing:

That' new weights policy is pretty weird (and bad) IMHO, to have to schlep weights around (and back to one's room) on top of dealing with all the other bulky/heavy gear/wetsuits. What on earth motivated the change in policy and why adopt a policy no other of the other 100+ Cozumel dive ops have ? Come to think of it, I've never heard ANY dive op anywhere on earth with this policy !

That' new weights policy is pretty weird (and bad) IMHO, to have to schlep weights around (and back to one's room) on top of dealing with all the other bulky/heavy gear/wetsuits. What on earth motivated the change in policy and why adopt a policy no other of the other 100+ Cozumel dive ops have ? Come to think of it, I've never heard ANY dive op anywhere on earth with this policy !
All three dive ops I've dove with in Bonaire have this policy. Of course that's because people go shore diving as well as possibly boat dive so keeping your own weights maintains that flexibility. Doesn't BA have a decent shore dive? Maybe that's why, they're trying to encourage more shore diving.

Haven't stayed at Scuba Club in a while, but I seem to recall that is how they do it too. Moss is probably right about the shore diving being the reason. Really awkward if they don't tell you about it before going out on the boat, though! I think it's a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom