Blue Angel - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given all the odd piercings and other "body modifications" the youth of today have, I wonder if anyone has considered the idea of weight implants. If I could get 12 lbs of lead molded into my spine, not only would it give me a cool reptilian look, but I wouldn't have to worry about using any weight on a warm water dive with a 3mm.

You'd need a custom 3mm though.

Dive weights are expensive on the island. I think around $4 a lb? So that 12lb lead belt of Mossmans is worth about $48. Now if you had a dive shop and you were losing 1 weight a day on average ( lets say its a 4lb weight) that $16 a day, $112 a week, $448 a month or $5376 a year in lost lead. Wouldnt you want to know where or how things go missing? By the way Mossman, I have some tools ( rusty old dive knife , bottle of tequila) and can help you out if you want them implants. I knew some strippers who had implants so I think I am more than qualified here to do what you want.:D

Haven't stayed at Scuba Club in a while, but I seem to recall that is how they do it too. Moss is probably right about the shore diving being the reason. Really awkward if they don't tell you about it before going out on the boat, though! I think it's a bad idea.
The reason is that they were losing a lot of weights. They still have weights on the boat for divers they pick up at other locations, but they don't carry near as many as they used to. You can still get a couple more pounds if you need it. I was there in late April - early May and it wasn't a big deal.

As to the original question, yes, Blue Angel is still a great place to stay and dive. Jorge and Cervando and Pony have all moved to Tres Pelicanos to hang with Jeanie after her split with the BA organization, but the new folks are fine. Jose and Matt (from Chicago) are still at BA, though Matt (from Canada) and his wife have gone back to the Great White North. See ya, hoser! :D

For those not staying with them, they ask how much weight is needed when checking in or making the reservation so that they will have it on the boat, and then of course they carry the necessary extra weight on board. When I send divers to them for a day or two because I am full, this is what they have done. Actually makes a lot of sense - lead is very expensive here!

I could have carted off 30-40 lbs had I known. Sold it on the black market back in the states.

Lead is expensive in the States, too. I think I paid $60 for 12 pounds of weight earlier this year.

Lead is expensive in the States, too. I think I paid $60 for 12 pounds of weight earlier this year.
Geez, that's about the price of chicken breast when it's not on sale. Wonder if anyone has tried diving with chicken instead of lead?

Back
Top Bottom