Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well apparently they have 18 rooms with double beds and only 4 rooms with king size beds. This worries me because I'm traveling with my boyfriend and we want one bed. It just seems that blue angel caters to dive groups rather than couples?

---------- Post added April 14th, 2014 at 10:08 PM ----------

yea yea wow I looked at DWM prices and they are awesome. We don't have BC or regulators so the fact that they include that in the price is good. What hotels are they close to on the north end?

They are located south of town at the cruise ship pier.

a6u7ype4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've never stayed at Blue Angel, but it's always been high on my list. I'm thinking about going by myself in June, and was wondering how often they get enough people to run afternoon trips (I know the minimum is 3, but I'm only 1). Do you regulars think it's an everyday thing? Or is it pretty infrequent?

Or how hard do you think it would be to find someone(s) to do a shore dive with? I'm not super pushy, although I know I couldn't just sit around waiting for someone to invite me.
icosm14.gif
Is shore diving pretty frequent there? If it's frequent enough, it would obviously increase my chances of finding people to join.

I kind of sound like a 7th grader thinking about my first day of school, but this would be my first dive trip alone (live-aboard and dive groups not included). Those are some of the things that make me think Blue Angel might be better for me than a budget hotel, but I want to make sure I'm not way off in my thinking. The restaurant on premises helps too. I love going into town for food, but it's nice to have an option if I don't want to venture out.

In my three solo trips to BA, I never had an afternoon dive canceled for lack of divers...including a trip in September when the hotel was almost empty. I don't think you'll have a problem diving as often as you would like and I'm sure e-mailing them about your concerns will get you a quick answer. The only drawback I found to traveling solo during the slow season was that the dive boat caters to the experience level of the other divers. On my September trip, I ended up on Paradise Reef more often than I would have liked because the other divers available were very new to diving. For my March trips, there were multiple boats and I ended up in a group with divers similar to myself and the dive sites fit my experience level perfectly. For shore dives, I had arranged a few prior to my trip by posting on scubaboard. BA shore diving is very easy and most of my later shore dives have been solo.

In my three solo trips to BA, I never had an afternoon dive canceled for lack of divers...including a trip in September when the hotel was almost empty. I don't think you'll have a problem diving as often as you would like and I'm sure e-mailing them about your concerns will get you a quick answer. The only drawback I found to traveling solo during the slow season was that the dive boat caters to the experience level of the other divers. On my September trip, I ended up on Paradise Reef more often than I would have liked because the other divers available were very new to diving. For my March trips, there were multiple boats and I ended up in a group with divers similar to myself and the dive sites fit my experience level perfectly. For shore dives, I had arranged a few prior to my trip by posting on scubaboard. BA shore diving is very easy and most of my later shore dives have been solo.

Oh GREAT. Thanks for the response, especially since you've been in those shoes (fins?). I don't mind doing the same site over and over again, so that potential drawback likely wouldn't be much of an issue for me.

Glad to hear you've had good experiences traveling solo to B.A. - enough that you've repeated it!

When will you be in Coz, QT? We'll be at The Blue Angel from June 25 - July 4 and you'll welcome to join us for shore dives when we go. Our regualr dive buddies from CT will be there, as will another couple we know. Plenty of friends to go around!

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 04:29 PM ----------

Oh, I should have stated we always stay at The BA and love it there. We always ask for our same room on the third floor and don't mind climbing the step. Our dive buddies stay in one of the remodeled rooms on the first floor. Road noise....some but if you close the door to the bathroom, it really minimizes it. We love the restaurant, the dive shop, and all the friendly staff at the BA.

The wife and myself may be going to Cozumel this summer for some fun and diving. I hear of so many resorts that it's leaves me dumbfounded. The more I research the more I can't decide. BA has been a top pick for me because of the price including diving (we both dive). One thing that we are big on is experiencing the area and food. Eating out around town and seeing some sights are definitely on our to-do list. Not big on being kooked-up in the hotel all the time. How does BA fit with all of this? Is there a better alternative?

BTW, our only experience with Cozumel was during a Cruise ship visit last year. We squeezed in a couple of dives with Aldora and lunch in town. Needless to say we loved Cozumel.

BA is the kind of hotel I like (independently owned and not large) and is within a long-ish walking distance to town; cab fares will be in the $8 each way range. There are some good places to stay in town for a similar price (or even much cheaper) but they won't be oceanfront...How much do you want to spend per night on accommodations? And not everyone picks up in town, so you would be limited to those that do. If you haven't picked a dive op and aren't all that fussy about fancy digs, The Barracuda might be an option. They sometimes have great deals and Dive Paradise is on site...not the most expensive op in town. If I wanted to do a splurge, I would stay at the suites above Guidos restaurant because that is the kind of place that appeals to me (or perhaps the Palace or El Cantil if you want more people around you) on the main drag and then go with a dive op that picks up at the pier in town. But there are accommodations everywhere in between that range.

The wife and myself may be going to Cozumel this summer for some fun and diving. I hear of so many resorts that it's leaves me dumbfounded. The more I research the more I can't decide. BA has been a top pick for me because of the price including diving (we both dive). One thing that we are big on is experiencing the area and food. Eating out around town and seeing some sights are definitely on our to-do list. Not big on being kooked-up in the hotel all the time. How does BA fit with all of this? Is there a better alternative?

BTW, our only experience with Cozumel was during a Cruise ship visit last year. We squeezed in a couple of dives with Aldora and lunch in town. Needless to say we loved Cozumel.

Of you do not have a Cozumel map with hotels on it, consider getting one from cancunmap.com

That will help you understand where things are as you pick a hotel and dive op.

BA is the kind of hotel I like (independently owned and not large) and is within a long-ish walking distance to town; cab fares will be in the $8 each way range. There are some good places to stay in town for a similar price (or even much cheaper) but they won't be oceanfront...

Actually Oceanfront is a must. Being in a crowded place is not appealing. I'm vacation to relax, no noise or partying. Cab rides or an occasional walk into town no big deal. BA still sounding good to me.

Another dive resort I hear a lot about is Scuba Club Cozumel. Not sure how they compare, especially price-wise.

Back
Top Bottom