Bolt snap attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honest question here:
I attach the boltsnap to my long hose with a ziptie. It has broken on me several times. Each time it broke, I'm glad it did. It is usually when I have it clipped off to my chest, and it snaps on something when I'm coming up the boat ladder.

In this case, isn't the fact that it will break a good thing?

Tom

Good point... I had someone loose their balance while walking to the back of the boat and sat down on my dive gear. The bottom of their tanks landed directly on my primary reg. I had an o-ring connection at the time and it broke free. I believe saving the reg from serious damage. The reg still has heavy scratches from the event.

So, while a break away connection saved my reg, I still don't like tie wraps for dive gear. I do however keep some quality tie wraps around for repairs. The professional grade (UV protection and metal ratchets) are much better than the cheap all plastic ones people generally use.

My second stage is in my mouth when I'm going up the boat ladder.

Really, all the time? Even when you're rig isn't on your back? There's just too many boats around here that don't have proper ladders, so you need to doff in the water...and before someone says that isn't DIR to dive on a boat without a proper ladder, well, that's my local diving.

Anyway, the other posts pretty much answered my question.

Tom

Honest question here:
I attach the boltsnap to my long hose with a ziptie. It has broken on me several times. Each time it broke, I'm glad it did. It is usually when I have it clipped off to my chest, and it snaps on something when I'm coming up the boat ladder.

In this case, isn't the fact that it will break a good thing?

Tom

(snip)

Really, all the time? Even when you're rig isn't on your back? There's just too many boats around here that don't have proper ladders, so you need to doff in the water...and before someone says that isn't DIR to dive on a boat without a proper ladder, well, that's my local diving.

Tom

How exactly would you break the boltsnap off the primary by snagging it on the ladder when walking up the ladder if you've doffed the rig in the water?

The point that's being made is that if you're wearing the rig when walking up the ladder, the reg should be in your mouth (and your mask on) in case you slip and fall back in the water.

Tom

I get back on my inflatable by doffing in the water. Never snagged a hose to the point of needing to break the long hose away hauling the tanks in after me. I backroll to enter. The inflatable is so stable you can stand up and organize the crotch strap, hoses, and light cord before entering.

How exactly would you break the boltsnap off the primary by snagging it on the ladder when walking up the ladder if you've doffed the rig in the water?

The point that's being made is that if you're wearing the rig when walking up the ladder, the reg should be in your mouth (and your mask on) in case you slip and fall back in the water.

I've snapped mine off when I'm pulling it back onboard after doffing. I've also had it break off when my gear is lying around and someone gets their stuff caught up with mine. These are both besides the times it has snapped off getting out with the reg clipped off to my chest D-Ring. Point being, even if it is always in your mouth when your on the ladder, I prefer a breakaway connection.

As to having the reg in my mouth when I'm exiting a ladder...I've never fallen off of a ladder in any weather. On the surface I tend to do what conditions dictate. Last week, I tore a dry glove, and we aborted the dive at the far end of the quarry. I clipped off the reg for the long surface swim across flat water. I didn't bother putting it back in my mouth just so I could clip it off again when I got up. If your reg never leaves your mouth, that's fine--it gets you in a habit--but it doesn't make it any safer of a practice in situations that don't merit it.

Tom

You're welcome to use a breakaway, it "used to be" DIR that way and I doubt you'll be hassled about it except in a class. If you go for T1 or C1 you will be required to tie your boltsnaps on.

I've snapped mine off when I'm pulling it back onboard after doffing.
Try pulling it up with all that stuff facing away from you...

I prefer a breakaway connection.
That's fine, but it's not DIR. you can be happy with the answer that someone gave in here and think that because it was said in here (the DIR forum) that it's OK and that you are DIR or are DIR "except" for this and that. It's not necessary, it's not usefull, and it could be dangerous if it breaks and your reg is dragging behind you in a silty, cruddy mess. If you don't care that it's not DIR, that's perfectly fine. But arguing that it is OK in the DIR forum is wrong. Take it to the tech diving or hogarthian forums.

Actually, I wasn't arguing about the zip tie, I was responding about the ladder thing, which I never wanted to bring up in the first place. Like I said it was an honest question, and thanks to RTodd and LimeyX for giving me honest answers.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom