Bolt snap attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do keep about 3x 6-7" long zipties in my wetnotes though.

Not sooo long that there would be a huge tail, but substantive enough to secure something that 1) I had to cut away but didn't want to throw away (rare but say an entangled deco bottle) or 2) breaks (also rare).

The square knot works fine with some slight melting and mashing to the nylon. For line end to line end connections (that I'm not trying to tighten around a boltsnap -e.g. like a stage leash), I use a fisherman's knot - the ideal knot for stuff like this.

If you use a proper square knot and melt the ends it shouldn't come untied that easy. Here is a diagram of a square knot.

square_knot_8100_lg.gif

If you use a proper square knot and melt the ends it shouldn't come untied that easy. Here is a diagram of a square knot.

square_knot_8100_lg.gif

The top 2 pics are a square knot. The bottom 2 a granny. You don't want a granny, although with melted smushed ends it probably would work.

Honest question here:
I attach the boltsnap to my long hose with a ziptie. It has broken on me several times. Each time it broke, I'm glad it did. It is usually when I have it clipped off to my chest, and it snaps on something when I'm coming up the boat ladder.

In this case, isn't the fact that it will break a good thing?

Tom

Honest question here:
I attach the boltsnap to my long hose with a ziptie. It has broken on me several times. Each time it broke, I'm glad it did. It is usually when I have it clipped off to my chest, and it snaps on something when I'm coming up the boat ladder.

Tom

Why is your long hose getting tangled in the boat ladder? Or elsewhere? In my case when something gets caught the number one thing to do is to stop. Whether this is a fin in the line, a hose, a light cord, stuff that maybe I forgot to restow in a pocket, etc. Stop, signal the team, consider what's snagged, free it yourself or signal again and get help.

Having a loose dangly anything that has broken free is just bad. Streamlined stuff and a patient team approach to the occasional snag (wherever it might be) are much prefered.

Honest question here:

Tom

Historically, you wanted the long hose attachment to be a break away. That way, in an emergency, you could just yank it free. I don't know if the official GUE position on that has changed or not (it has with respect to the bolt snap on the gauge). The reasoning was that this snap breaking cannot cause you to lose the hose.

Historically, you wanted the long hose attachment to be a break away. That way, in an emergency, you could just yank it free. I don't know if the official GUE position on that has changed or not (it has with respect to the bolt snap on the gauge). The reasoning was that this snap breaking cannot cause you to lose the hose.

breakaways are no longer "DIR" cave line should be used, not zip ties.
Unless they changed it since and no one told me :)

For longer dives, it would be (to me) a pain to have my long-hose come free u/w and not be able to stow it for deco ot stage use. You *could* probably use a double-ender (works on SPG) but that would be a pain

Why is your long hose getting tangled in the boat ladder? Or elsewhere? In my case when something gets caught the number one thing to do is to stop. Whether this is a fin in the line, a hose, a light cord, stuff that maybe I forgot to restow in a pocket, etc. Stop, signal the team, consider what's snagged, free it yourself or signal again and get help.

Having a loose dangly anything that has broken free is just bad. Streamlined stuff and a patient team approach to the occasional snag (wherever it might be) are much prefered.

No. It's not dangling or anything. The hose itself does not get tangled, but once in a while the second stage itself will snag on a step of the ladder, etc when I'm exiting. Sometimes it is because of a wave, sometimes it is my own negligence. Sometimes its just because we are on the lake and are on a crappy pontoon with a ladder that was in no way designed for divers mounted on the back next to the engine and so narrow you have to take your tank off at the top to fit between the alum supports for the transom.

Tom

My second stage is in my mouth when I'm going up the boat ladder.

I was taught to use a drop of superglue on the knot. I have some boltsnap attatchments that are several years old, have hundreds of dives on them and look as good as new.

I used the superglue trick for a while after reading it here. It definitely secures the knot well and it will NOT come undone. The problem I have with it is that the glue can seep through and actually glue the knot to the hose. This does two things: 1) prevents the snap from being able to rotate move on the hose (may be a good or bad thing, depending on the particular snap), and 2) potentially damages the hose if the knot is pulled off.

I took my rig with glued-on knots to my Fundies class and the instructor asked me to remove and retie one of the snaps so I could practice snap tying. When I removed it, it pulled a piece of rubber off and basically trashed the SPG hose. After practicing knots in class a few times and learning proper knot tying and melting, I haven't had a knot come undone again, and no glue is required.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom