Bonaire in 4 weeks and I have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably not many takers as this subject has been discussed many times. It would help if you provided some details of what you are looking for. Absent those, the best price/value I have found is Golden Reef Inn. Made to order breakfast, quite neighborhood, friendly staff, and associated with WannaDive which has tanks outlets South of town, downtown (next to City Cafe), Eden Beach, and at Golden Reef (no Nitrox at Golden Reef, only air). This location is not on the beach, and does not have restaurant or bar (but has kitchens).

Why does everyone want to avoid the drive through Rincon. Its pretty along that coast and you have to do a surface interval anyways.

Why does everyone want to avoid the drive through Rincon. Its pretty along that coast and you have to do a surface interval anyways.

I can't speak for "everyone" else, but for me, I take enough tanks to do dive the morning or the afternoon, before having to return. When I return, it is usually for lunch or dinner, and I don't need a surface interval before either of those. :D

It's over an hour drive back through Rincon. That, when added to the time it takes to rinse and stow the gear, and then set up the gear at the next dive site, is well over what I need for a surface interval.

I can't speak for "everyone" else, but for me, I take enough tanks to do dive the morning or the afternoon, before having to return. When I return, it is usually for lunch or dinner, and I don't need a surface interval before either of those. :D

It's over an hour drive back through Rincon. That, when added to the time it takes to rinse and stow the gear, and then set up the gear at the next dive site, is well over what I need for a surface interval.

I agree with this. Unless planning to go to Rose Inn for lunch we take the short cut back every time.

rjchandler:

Avoid the drive and you get more bottom time.

My bags are packed and I'm ready to go. 40 more hours (but who is counting)

Just like a boy scout, I'm prepared... I have my sinus pills, nose & ear drops, bug spray and sunscreen AND my new diving boots with HEAVY DUTY SOLES!!!!

I also have my BSDME book and have marked all the sites to dive thanks to all of your inputs.

Enjoy your winter fun while I am soaking up the rays in Bonaire.
I'll post my report when I return.

Just like a boy scout, I'm prepared... I have my sinus pills, nose & ear drops, bug spray and sunscreen AND my new diving boots with HEAVY DUTY SOLES!!!!

I also have my BSDME book and have marked all the sites to dive thanks to all of your inputs.

Ooooh Pembina!!!!

Day after tomorrow!!!

See you at the airport!!!

I just heard that the Flamingo airport has been closed for three days.

Wrong Joe, it's open.

A short trip report for Tiggrr, Pembina, et al. Omar damage has been surprisingly light underwater. Seems like everything above 25 ft/8 m was crunched at the northern sites I have been to: Karpata, Oil Slick and Old Blue/Tolo. Andrea II was also rearranged, but I didn't dive there. The amount of scour that occurred on the shores was amazing.

Oil Slick had all of the coral rubble stripped away. The topside bedrock is bare, like walking across an evil cheese grater. Chunks of newly exposed rock are evident all along the cliff edge. The diving was good, two so far. Critters, most of the common ones are there in numbers, except here are hardly any anemones at all. I have seen maybe a half dozen in 15 dives. The only octopus I saw was lurking right by the ladder at Oil Slick.

The old entry at Old Blue is washed out. The coral rubble which formed sort of a beach on the lower shelf is gone. However, there is a new beach at the extreme south end of the site. A nice little switchback path leads down there and the entry is easy.

Andrea II was stripped. The obvious channels which lead through the reef edge aren't so obvious. I don't know what the dive is like there since my party backed out on it.

Karpata didn't seem so affected.

Southern sites don't seem to have been so impacted. Tori's Reef was actually improved. The back part of the salt pan drainage channel was totally filled in with fine coral ruble. It's now an easy walk in.

Overall the vis is down. Last week was wet, we had rain Thursday evening as well. So plankton blooms are in full swing. Probably added to by runoff. Air temperatures are moderate, low 80's to high 70's F. Water temps have been running 78-80 F. Better pack neoprene, especially if you chill easily.

I'm out of here Saturday on Delta @3:45pm, so at least I have time for a few more dives Friday. Bon voyage you guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom