Bonaire in 4 weeks and I have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received our BSDME book yesterday but have only had time to glance at it. I was a little disapointed about its size and there are no pictures. :depressed: I don't know if I will be able to decipher all them letters being I am an authentic ozark hillbilly. Picture pages make it so much easier.

Now I have to find time to sit down and compare the info from "BSDME" to our "Lonely Planet Diving & Snorkeling Bonaire" and include all the personal experiences of scubaboarder's input and devise a way to do it all.

Just an FYI, there are a lot of errors in the Lonely Planet book. The author wrote the book based on a trip to Bonaire.

Here are a couple of maps of the island.

Bonaire Island Map

Bonaire Road and Town Maps - Bonaire

Pembina:
I received our BSDME book yesterday but have only had time to glance at it. I was a little disapointed about its size and there are no pictures. I don't know if I will be able to decipher all them letters being I am an authentic ozark hillbilly. Picture pages make it so much easier.

We recieved ours a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to say anything first but I have to agree. Must be our Ozark (Clarksville, AR) roots we have in common? I thumbed through it and stuck it in my dive log then ordered the LP book which I've throughly looked at the pictures and managed to read as well.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I think it's great to have both perspectives each book offers. I originally was hoping to only buy the BSDME but I found that not only the lack of shiny glossy pictures that I was wanting more cultural and historical information along with a map. FWIW, I'm still looking for a good map but apparently there will be plenty to be had on the island. Having not ever been to Bonaire, I have read some contradictions in the LP book as well as every article about Bonaire I've read in my 8-year back collection of Scuba Diving, Dive Training and Sport Diving magazines. And with all due respect, the current issue of BSDME was printed and pressed before Hugo which we all know significantly changed a number of sites and their accessibility. Based on the live info available here, like Pembina mentioned above, it's gonna take the cordinated effort of compiling data from many sources to formulate a concise conclusion upon which to set your expectations.

With that said, I'm taking the high road and gonna just wing it. Making mental note of what post-Hugo sites to avoid and only reference to book for details such as depth for dive planning purposes. On return visits, I'll then have my own experiences as a good basis for comparison.

Finally, FWIW, to address the comment about the price difference, the LP book can be had at Amazon.com for $18.24 with free shipping. My Ozark math computes that thar too bee only a pigs-hair mor than 2-bits (that be 25 cents to ya'll city folk) fur that BSDME book. :wink:

Boat Chick:
Bonaire Island Map

Bonaire Road and Town Maps - Bonaire
Now those are some awesome maps! Thanks for sharing. Are those available on the island?

Josh, yes, that map is available, free, everywhere on the island. BDSME keys its site descriptions to the map dive site numbers. Once you bring yourself to actually read the descriptions, IMHO, BDSME will offer better information. Especially about the unmarked dive sites.

Tigrr, Shelia (BowlofPetunias) mentioned you in reply to a post about LEI. I'll be one of the downcast individuals in the departure lounge on the day you arrive. The sign behind my head is at the Coral Gardens entry on LEI.

Trip #5 in two weeks.

Hey Pembina!

Walter posted this elsewhere but, wanted to make sure you see it....

When diving up north (around Karpata), you don't have to go through Rincon to get back to your hotel. Make the right just past Karpata toward Rincon, the turn right at the first dirt road, it'll take you up over the mountain by the radio transmitters and drop you back on the main road south of where it becomes one way. Saves you lots of time.

Tigrr, Shelia (BowlofPetunias) mentioned you in reply to a post about LEI. I'll be one of the downcast individuals in the departure lounge on the day you arrive. The sign behind my head is at the Coral Gardens entry on LEI.

Trip #5 in two weeks.

Sweet! You will be there to pass the torch!!

Will keep our eyes out for ya!!

Hopefully our 4 s*** eating grins can coax a smile out of ya!!

Are you gonna be at OWU next weekend??

Lots of good advice in this thread. I'll add if you haven't already paid, skip the boat dives. While there are some excellent sites off Klein, there are plenty of sites that are just as good you can see from shore. When on Bonaire boat dives are good for three things -

1. Wasting time. If you want to maximize your dive time, you're better off diving out of a pickup.
2. Wasting money. Boat dives cost money. Unlimited shore diving is included in (almost?) all packages.
You're trading at least two dives for which you've already paid for every one you're gaining AND you have to pay extra for the privilege.
3. Diving new sites when you've already dived every site you can reach from shore and are getting bored with them.

I have to agree 100% with what Walter said. We made the mistake of buying 6 boat dives in our dive/drive/stay package last year and wound up only using 1 of them. :( After following a DM around a dive site for an hour at his (too fast) pace, we decided that the lack of freedom that boat diving offered simply wasn't worth it.

On the other hand, there are sites only accessable by boat (Rapel for instance) that many folks say are worth the trip. We decided this year to watch the board and if the boat is going someplace we can't do by shore and want to dive, we'll buy it ala carte.

We're also looking at spending a day with the new East Coast Diving guys out of Lac Bay this year. I can already tell that 2 weeks just won't be enough time.... :wink:

Tigrr, Re: OWU, I'll be there. Friday night for the film festival and much of Saturday. Especially at the UASC (Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago) booth in the late afternoon Saturday.

Tigrr, Re: OWU, I'll be there. Friday night for the film festival and much of Saturday. Especially at the UASC (Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago) booth in the late afternoon Saturday.

I will find you and we will bond over Bonaire and how cool Petunia is.

Excellent. :D

We are having a meet and greet. You should come by after the movie stuff friday. I'll pm you the link with the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom