Bonaire in 4 weeks and I have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some have said not to waste your time at Oil Slick. Well, if you haven't been to Bonaire yet, do it anyways. It must have been pretty spectacular pre Omar, because I had a great dive there in December. It's the easiest entry of the non resort dives, just gear up and jump in, although be careful with the exit as there is a rung missing at the bottom of the ladder. Other dives which were great:
Angel City
Hilma Hooker
Alice in Wonderland
Margate Bay

bad dives:
there are none.

One thing I don't think that has been mentioned, always scout your entry point before you put on your equipment and always mark a reference point for your exit. Some entries can be pretty hairy if the waves are up.

This is starting to get expensive!!:shocked2:

Our "cheap" little trip to Bonaire is getting more expensive everyday. But all our fault.

1st expense - Hubby decided I needed to get Nitrox certified since there is unlimited shore diving. I take my test this weekend.

2nd expense - Diving Nitrox requires a new dive computer. Currently reading how to use my new Oceanic VEO180.

3rd expense - Extra charge for enriched air.

4th expense - "Hey honey, wouldn't it be nice to have an underwater camera so we can capture and save our memories" Our new camera w/stobe just arrived today (and more to read and learn).

5th expense - After reading your replies hubby ordered us some boots (which he says resembles hiking boots (I hope he is kidding)) and open heeled fins. But I am glad to have received this information before arriving Bonaire. Thanks to all who replied and opened our eyes.

And now after reading the posts regarding the "Naturalist" class I'm debating whether we need to sign up for that.

And now to top it all off, I did not realize that Bonaire was hit by Omar in October (I booked this trip in September). Is there much damage?? My first blue water trip was in 1995 to Cozumel a week after Roxanne hit. Power was still out over most of the island. Being my first ocean trip I couldn't tell you if it affected the underwater world or not, it was all beautiful.

And now to top it all off, I did not realize that Bonaire was hit by Omar in October (I booked this trip in September). Is there much damage?? My first blue water trip was in 1995 to Cozumel a week after Roxanne hit. Power was still out over most of the island. Being my first ocean trip I couldn't tell you if it affected the underwater world or not, it was all beautiful.

We were in Bonaire in December and did see some changes from our August trip as the result of Omar but still found the diving to be fabulous. There is some coral damage in the shallows but the fish life is still abundant as is much of the coral. You should not worry -- you will love it!

One more small expense to add to your list if you have not yet done so ... consider purchasing Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter or from one of the dive shops on island. It is a great resource full of info about entries and exits at all the marked and unmarked sites as well as description of underwater topography at each site.

My wife and I spent half a day with Jerry Ligon "Dive with the Natualist" at Bonaire Dive and Adventure in November. Best class we've ever taken by a large margin. Applied what we learned for the remainder of the trip to our great advantage.

Good diving, Craig

Also, see the Bonaire eels dying thread

To add a couple things to those already said;

Glad you got "boots" and open heel fins....you will be too!

I was there during Omar, and again last month, and will be there again in late March. The reef has changed due to Omar, but the diving is still great. The areas with a more gradual slope look like they have a dusting of powdered sugar or light snow - from the white sand deposited. The steeper walls (up north) are not so much affected. Oil Slick Leap did have one step missing, but exit was still doable. It will probably be fixed when you get there. I thought the diving was fine there, and many like the "giant leap" into the water :D

I like Eden Beach (Eden Rubble) - there are three wrecks there, but no real "reef".

For groceries, stop by the new Asian grocery just north of Buddy's and all (at the corner you turn to Golden Reef Inn). It is much cheaper (soup was half price, as example). They don't have a great variety though. Shop there first, and then pick up what else you need at the other places.

Papaya Moon is my favorite restaurant. City Cafe has a new (different than pre-Omar) menu which seemed more limited than before.

Wow. I never pay for the 32% nitrox upgrade with Dive Friends Bonaire. It's free! They say that there's a 3 nitrox tank/day limit...but they are _very_ "relaxed" about it.
4th expense - "Hey honey, wouldn't it be nice to have an underwater camera so we can capture and save our memories" Our new camera w/stobe just arrived today (and more to read and learn).
Enjoy the camera. I suspect you'll enjoy playing UW photographer. Be forewarned that it's an expensive add-on to the diving hobby. :D
5th expense - After reading your replies hubby ordered us some boots (which he says resembles hiking boots (I hope he is kidding)) and open heeled fins.
I hope the boots fit in the foot pocket of the open-heeled fins. Have a great time!

Our "cheap" little trip to Bonaire is getting more expensive everyday. But all our fault.

1st expense - Hubby decided I needed to get Nitrox certified since there is unlimited shore diving. I take my test this weekend.

2nd expense - Diving Nitrox requires a new dive computer. Currently reading how to use my new Oceanic VEO180.

Most resorts in Bonaire don't charge extra if you're diving nitrox, so that's one expense you don't have to worry about!! If you are getting charged, consider switching to another dive op.

I agree about purchasing a copy of BSDME. I use it as my Bonaire dive log and make notes in it on entry and exit points, critters I saw, etc. Next trip back, I'm dying to try some of the unmarked sites like Candyland and Taylor Made.

Another point I just remembered, get a tank rack if you're renting a truck. I left without one my first day and cringed everytime I turned a corner.

When is a great time to visit Bonaire?
I am trying to plan a trip there.
Thanks, this is a great thread...
Kirsten

I know but, its sooo exciting yes????

We're doing the same thing. I keep buying more food to take with us, terrible.
Its hard to think realistic when you are ready to get out of this crap weather and dive in paradise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom